Midland Main Line Electrification

The light coloured staining, as opposed to the white painted area which was a sighting area for the Glendon South Junction Home, is not above the current running line. It is above the new down line which has not yet been commissioned.

Geoff

And was above the old Down line prior to singling in 1988ish, which doesn't of course say much about whether it was steam or diesel related.  And on the other side of the bridge it seems to be above both lines. 

• RMweb Gold

Demolition of the main arch of the Glendon Iron Coy's bridge was carried out on Monday 10 October and the photos below show the state of play today. I was told by one of the guys on site that they are all set to start rebuilding on Wednesday 12 October.

Geoff

30264019455_319766be61_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29634220183_187707d951_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30264023025_dcd54fc569_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29634223283_16a44e0a85_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30264027535_76219c5e7d_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30264029185_9199147d14_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

• Like 1

Interesting to see light coloured staining where the chimney blast would have been.

Still visible on several of the bridges in the Ratcliffe on Trent area, also above the erstwhile slow lines I think? If so definitely steam related, I'll try to remember to check later on my way to Skegness.

Edit, thinking about it. The staining is centred on the track, most diesel exhausts are offset I believe?

Another edit, yep above the former slow lines as well, but oddly only on the side where the loco emerges from under the bridge.

Edited by great central

• RMweb Gold

A further visit today, Wednesday 12 october, found scaffolding erection still ongoing at the Glendon Iron Coy's bridge in preparation for the re-building. I was also able to get a clear photo of two large additions to the bridge abutment. These are replicated on the other face and also on the other abutment. Does anyone one have any thoughts on their purpose?

Further towards Kettering work has started on the re-signalling between Glendon South and Kettering North junction.

Geoff

30166225432_df13ce87d4_k.jpgIMG_3861 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29651633923_ad9fe282b9_k.jpgIMG_3863 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29985376030_0a85e060fd_k.jpgIMG_3865 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

29651633923_ad9fe282b9_k.jpg

Hmm......  anyone else spot a problem developing here ;)

Yes I know they are probably measuring up the tail cable for size - but I have in the past come across contractors attempting to actually install a cable in such a fashion.

• RMweb Gold

I took another trip to see how work had progressed today but first I can report that at the site of the signalling work there was no sign of an abandoned steel toe cap boot, blood from a drilled foot or severed cable but the equipment seemed to have been nicely installed. I could not get to the Glendon Iron Coy's bridge on Thursday so I missed the crane action but here are the results of their labours.

Geoff

30024931360_9787ffca01_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29691337734_4522121e29_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30024936350_8a4054dfd4_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30235860001_c5108ec9f9_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Oops! What 'appened 'ere then? I popped up to Storefield  this afternoon to check up on the bridge replacement across the A6003 only to find no change!!! I enquired of a worker and he told me there was a problem with the new bridge and so the track had been re-instated on the old bridge and the job would most likely be re-scheduled for February 2017. I am really glad I didn't go last night in the pouring rain.

Watch this space.

Geoff

Edited by geoff

• RMweb Premium

I do wish contributors would refrain from putting external links to photos. They take ages to upload.

Regards

Why?

If they are copywrite or on another site that's the only way you can do it.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

That's quite a lot higher than the original span, maybe being built to Berne loading gauge height?

Is the height the reason for filling in the other arches, so they can take the additional weight that'll presumably need to go on top of them at some point?

• RMweb Premium

I think my question was a bit confusing. Considering that it needs to be higher then the entire bridge needs building up, not just the centre (otherwise there would be a rather awkward step), so I was wondering if the reason that the side arches have been filled in is to take the extra weight needed to bring the approaches level with the new centre span.

I think my question was a bit confusing. Considering that it needs to be higher then the entire bridge needs building up, not just the centre (otherwise there would be a rather awkward step), so I was wondering if the reason that the side arches have been filled in is to take the extra weight needed to bring the approaches level with the new centre span.

The usual reason for this:

As well as its weight downwards, each arch pushes sideways into the abutment or pier either side of it.  When a pier is between two arches the forces on either side of it balance out, and if one of those arches is demolished the unbalanced force from the other arch will probably collapse it.  Hence the arch on the other side often has to be fully or partly filled in first to reduce the force on the pier. 

Trains were due to start running again today but not actually checked to see if they have, presume all is now back to normal.

Back to as it was 6 weeks ago.

Existing single line relayed in places(but a bit dodgy in places), 1 rebuilt bridge , some of the new line track taken up in places, but not that much to show for a 6 week closure. Should be good for Christmas next year......maybe.

• RMweb Gold

Old and new.

23785970601_1a6de6555b_h.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

46233, Duchess of Sutherland, brings the  1Z29 06:31 London Victoria to York, York Yuletide Express round the curve from Glendon South, 7 minutes late after a protracted water stop at Kettering, 10:02 on Saturday 19 2015.

30478194332_698c9c417c_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

222009 leads the 12:01 London St Pancras to Corby service through the rebuilt Glendon Iron Coy’s bridge, on time at 13:06 on Tuesday 25 October 2016, the second day of resumed service after the blockade on the Kettering to Corby line for upgrading works.

In response to a query about the bricking up of the side arches,"The side arches are to be bricked up to strengthen them before demolition of the main arch." See post  No 420.

Geoff

Edited by geoff
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Government Rail Minister Paul Maynard is refusing to confirm electrification of the MML to Sheffield will be completed as previously stated by 2023. This is being connected with delays to the mismanaged and grossly over time/budget GWML electrification which according to BBC News is being done piecemeal, and similar obfuscation on the Trans-Pennine project. East Midlands MPs and media have been unable to get answers. Economic growth in the East Mids (and Sheffield) is dependent on improving transport links. The West Midlands gets much more investment via Midlands Connect and HS2 stage 1 [even if many don't want it!].

What is going on here? See discussion on GWML thread.

Dava