Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol Easi-shunt magnetic couplings in N

Andy Y

However it should fit most stock (even if you have to recalibrate it slightly for longer or shorter arm couplers etc) for both freight and coach, as long as you use them body mounted, as we havnt designed these to be bogie mounted at all.

Will it actually work body-mounted for coaching stock, or will it have problems with curves?

Also heard it suggested (on one of the Yahoogroups) that there isn't enough space between the axle and the buffer beam for some short-wheelbase stock such as Farish 16ton minerals or vanfits.

• 1 month later...

Dave, this is a slight odd request but do you have a list anywhere of which models you have produced that have NEM pockets already? I seem to recall that some models like the Colletts started out with standard rapidos but aquired NEMs at some point.

Hello,

I've read through this thread, and can't find whether any list is available. I have a collection of Collett coaches, mine don't seem to have NEM pockets. The Rapido coupler looks as though it goes through the bracket with a "T" end and a spring behind it.

If the Collett bogies changed at some point, is it possible to get hold of the new pattern bogies as a spare part and are they interchangeable? If they are (or can be made available) then I can change bogies to allow me to fit the new couplers.

I have a pack of couplers, but haven't been able to find anything to fit them to. The only ones I've fitted are to a Dapol Hall and an NGS Stove R. So I have a pair to test, but I want to change loads more so that I can really use them.

Thanks

Chris

I've read through this thread, and can't find whether any list is available. I have a collection of Collett coaches, mine don't seem to have NEM pockets. The Rapido coupler looks as though it goes through the bracket with a "T" end and a spring behind it.

If the Collett bogies changed at some point, is it possible to get hold of the new pattern bogies as a spare part and are they interchangeable? If they are (or can be made available) then I can change bogies to allow me to fit the new couplers.

As per the last few posts: a conversion kit is close to release which will allow you to fit the easi-shunt couplings to most non-NEM equipped stock.

I think your best option is a little patientce and wait for those conversion kits rather than replacing bogies...

As per the last few posts: a conversion kit is close to release which will allow you to fit the easi-shunt couplings to most non-NEM equipped stock.

I think your best option is a little patientce and wait for those conversion kits rather than replacing bogies...

Personally, I'd rather change a bogie than start hacking bits off and epoxying new bits on.

And I'm not impatient - I'm still laying track at the moment!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I'd rather change a bogie than start hacking bits off and epoxying new bits on.

I agree with this. I am a better modeller than engineer and my attempts at modifying the "worky" bits of model do not have a good track record. Plenty of my models will require modifying but if drop-in bogies are available as replacements then I would be interested.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully I've followed the thread correctly. Am I right in thinking there are 3 lenghts - 'short', 'long' and the original type which don't follow Dapol's new reference number system?

Which is the best of the three to use on the new GF Mk.1s?

Which is the best of the three to use on the new GF Mk.1s?

This will depend on the radius of curve you use. If you use set-track curves you will need longer couplers than if you use 3' curves throughout.

My advice is to get a couple of pairs of each length and use them to test different types of stock on your layout. There are no hard and fast rules.

• Like 1

This will depend on the radius of curve you use. If you use set-track curves you will need longer couplers than if you use 3' curves throughout.

Even with the close coupling bar of the new mk.1s? Is it not the case that the shortest ones can be used?

My advice is to get a couple of pairs of each length and use them to test different types of stock on your layout. There are no hard and fast rules.

These couplings arn't cheap and I'd rather not buy sets if i'm not going to use them. I was rather hoping someone who'd done the experimentation could shed some light on which they've used and on what radii.

These couplings arn't cheap and I'd rather not buy sets if i'm not going to use them. I was rather hoping someone who'd done the experimentation could shed some light on which they've used and on what radii.

the thing is tho, no one has got your layout and stock to test with. What works for one will not necesarily work for another.

for example, I've got short dummy knuckles on my GF HST Mk3's but only because i've chopped the buffers off....

if you find something doesnt work for you, theres always Ebay or the various forums classified ad's or doing swaps with another modeller to recoup your R&D expenditure.

Edited by andygif

These couplings arn't cheap and I'd rather not buy sets if i'm not going to use them.

You don't need to buy many. 1 pair of each length will be sufficient and you can use them to test all your stock. At £5 a pair, that will only set you back £15, about the price of a single coach. I think this is not a bad price to ensure all your stock can couple comfortably. Plus as andygif says, you can always sell your spares at the end if you really want to recoup the investment.

Personally I would look at it in the same way as money spent on a tool. It is not wasted, it is a small investment to help you get the best results.

the thing is tho, no one has got your layout and stock to test with. What works for one will not necesarily work for another.

Er, my GF Mk1s are the same length as everyone elses (I hope), and my 12" curves are the same as everyone elses 12" curves (no rude jokes please ;) ) ...

My modelling interests are on a very tight budget atm, so £15 is £15 I'd rather be speding on sommit else.

Thanks for the replies tho.

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

I have some short ones on order that I'm intending to use with GF coaches and I'm also running on 12 inch minimum radius. My guess is that it will be a combination of short/medium or short/short that will give a good close coupling, it just depends how short the short one is - and if there needs to be any modification of the buffer beam. I'm in New Zealand so you might get an answer from someone else before my couplings arrive. If not I'll let you know when I get them.

Peter

• Like 2

Er, my GF Mk1s are the same length as everyone elses (I hope), and my 12" curves are the same as everyone elses 12" curves (no rude jokes please ;) ) ...

My modelling interests are on a very tight budget atm, so £15 is £15 I'd rather be speding on sommit else.

Thanks for the replies tho.

So you 12 inchers are laid perfectly, dead flat, no bumps, cant, dips, joint gaps etc?

And none of you stock has percular woble where the body/chassis is slighty warped, the boggies/close coupling mech are a bit stiff from a bit of mold flash etc?

if money is tight why are you bothering to change over from the rapidos anyway, you can uncouple those with the use of the appropriate devices, raising ramps, magnets and droppers...

Edited by andygif

• RMweb Gold

If I get chance in the next few days I will fit some standard length Dapol couplers ot my Mk1's and push them round the tightest curves on my fiddleyard but i wont be able to do so with a loco running at the moment.

Will let you know how I get on.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

I'm interested in seeing what these NEM conversion packs are like as a large amount of my stock is twin-axle minerals, vans and brake vans which will all need uncoupling... Any news on when they're likely to be in the shops?

• Like 1

Nothing said about the conversion packs at Dapol's open day last Saturday, though there is one shipment from China waitaing at Southampton and another arriving this week (may even have docked) so it is possible they might be out in the next week or so. If not then no information was given as to when the next consignment is due....

I'm also waiting for them.

All the very best

Les