The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

If you could choose to live in a certain decade what would it be?

Earl Bathurst

Its a question that I wounder if you could choose a decase to live in what would it be?

People always say im old fasioned in my ways but but the decade i would have liked to have lived would have been late 1940/ 1950 reason being you aint got the hustle and bustle of modern life. People looked out for each other, and of course the rail network would not have seen the dramatic cuts of beeching yet and steam was still king of the rail. Peoples attitude have change alot from what you read of that era lots of people now only care about them selves and not about anyone else which is a shame. Young people seemed more innocent for longer not growing up from a very young age. ( I might be wrong but this is what i observe)

So what decade would you like to live if you could?

Guest Max Stafford

I know what you're getting at and I myself can see the attractions of that particular era. Realism though tells me that today's vastly improved healthcare, sanitation and housing (largely) are things that make life good today, despite the many faults in modern society.

I certainly like the style and appearance of objects, machines, clothing from that era though.

I once did an on-line personality based questionnaire that supposedly determined which decade suited the subject best. According to the results I belong in the 1930s!

Certainly, I feel like a stranger in my own age most of the time despite only being 47!

Anyway let's jump in the Austin and take a drive down the local. Fancy a smoke old boy?

Dave.

Dave.

I've often thought that I would be happiest in the '40s - :no: - 1840's that is, It was a time when Great Britian was changing and developing, a place where people got places on the basis of what you knew, and to a lesser extent and who your father was. I am well aware that life expectancy was lower, and for the majority education, sanitation and health care were primative, but again the times they "were a-changing" to paraphrase Bob Dylan.

Although I would love to go back to 1984/1985 somewhere near the Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire borders and levels, possibly pushing it to Shuttleworth or Millbrook - but I wouldn't like to be eight and a half again :no:

• RMweb Gold

A fascinating thought and the subject of a few alcohol-fuelled discussions with friends over the years. I used to think that the mid-1930s would have been a great time to live, but people I have known who actually lived through those years tended to laugh at such a rose-tinted view of the past. And, of course, we all know what happened at the end of that decade. Every decade I've lived through has had its good and bad points. I suppose the short answer to the OT is that I'm fairly content with the here and now - but would love to see the return of moral and ethical values from 40-50 years ago.

I'd like to live in the late 50s/60s, living exactly where I live now and doing the same job. Still with a Yeovil Branchlines. The Fleet Air Arm with real fixed wing aircraft and carriers. A weekend trainspotting up the road to see the Somerset and Dorset before the Western Region got their destructive hands on the line.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to live in the late 50s/60s, living exactly where I live now and doing the same job. Still with a Yeovil Branchlines. The Fleet Air Arm with real fixed wing aircraft and carriers. A weekend trainspotting up the road to see the Somerset and Dorset before the Western Region got their destructive hands on the line.

Yes, but wouldn't you like to be able to record those events with 21st Century equipment?

What was that TV show where the main character went backwards & forwards between the 1990s & 1940s? He was regarded as weird by the people of both time zones.

Kevin Martin

I think to me it's more about the atmosphere, Yes if I could take back some HD recording equipment and film to my hearts content this would be ace. But thinking of the thrill to actually travel on the ACE behind a Bulleid Pacific or even an LMS Twin this on it's own would be worth it. It's nice to see some of these preserved but they are in a way caged and limited to what they use to do. Actual working steam where they actually earned their crust is more fitting to them. Even a chance of Travelling on the Devon Belle would be enjoyable.

So if any time travellers are reading this thread and want some to help out I'm sure there are a load of us who would love to experience the golden age of steam.

Guest dilbert

I think to me it's more about the atmosphere, Yes if I could take back some HD recording equipment and film to my hearts content this would be ace.

My thoughts are much along the same lines. Go back to the mid-30s without the knowledge/hindsight of what has happened since, armed only with pen & paper. Twenty-fours hours would suffice and return to the current enviromnet and use that experience where practical... dilbert

I know what you're getting at and I myself can see the attractions of that particular era. Realism though tells me that today's vastly improved healthcare, sanitation and housing (largely) are things that make life good today, despite the many faults in modern society.

I certainly like the style and appearance of objects, machines, clothing from that era though.

I once did an on-line personality based questionnaire that supposedly determined which decade suited the subject best. According to the results I belong in the 1930s!

Certainly, I feel like a stranger in my own age most of the time despite only being 47!

Anyway let's jump in the Austin and take a drive down the local. Fancy a smoke old boy?

Dave.

It's funny how certain things stick in the brain. One occasion I can remember, waiting for a bus in the old Chelmsford bus station sometime in the mid 1970's, two old ladies, a few yards away, bemoaning life at that time, and wishing life was like it was in the 1940's (??), when a bloke passed me and said quietly-' colour tele, washing machines, you'd think they'd be bleeding happy', I just burst out laughing, they turned round wondering what it was I found funny.

For me it would be the 50s, back to my childhood. Every thing seemed so simple and fair ( it probably wasn't ) with plenty of work for everyone. As for children growing up younger nowadays !!! I dont think so. They may appear to be grown up but i started work at 15. My son will soon be 15, Work you must be joking he cant even make a cup of tea and a slice of toast. Only knows how to use an X-Box and NEVER puts anything away. Moan Moan Moan

Having been there, I'd like now to go back to the 1940s and 50s. I could put up with coal fires, no central heating, a hot water geyser because I did then. But the benefits of having things to do outdoors far outweights any problems in the home. Prewar Trams, buses that all had their own charactistics and civic pride liveries, steam everywhere, and cheap transport fares. I wouldnt need to model the darn things when the real thing was just a sort walk away.

• RMweb Gold

I follow the logic expressed in all these ideas, but the reality is never quite the same. The OP's idea of the late '40s/early '50s would indeed be full of steam and goods trains - but life was pretty hard for many people. Sure, the war was over, but the Pandora's Box of nuclear warfare was now open, and who knew what might flare up to invoke its use - Russia had proved to be a difficult ally once Hitler was gone. Money was scarce, relatively few families had a car, let alone a tv or washing machine. The Welfare State had made a great start on eradicating true poverty - but there was a long way to go, and the nation's housing stock was in very poor nick, much having suffered in the war. The towns looked grimy and unloved, as they had been since the end of the '30s, and the Clean Air Act was still some years ahead, so smogs still threatened the health of many.

Super for gricing, but life would have seemed a struggle, I suggest. The time-traveller day-ticket would be essential!

I would only want to go back for a short time, equipped with a suitable collection of gold sovereigns, but Manchester in the 1912-14 era would be awesome from a transport point of view. Wouldn't want to live there permanently, though I suppose it would be amusing to visit my grandparents as young people.

Despite many people's tales to the contrary, the 1970s was quite a good time to be alive - if I had to 'stay' in an era, that's the one I'd pick. We still had a society then, and if you went in the right pubs there was decent beer, at a very sensible price. Train rides were cheap too.

With a very deep and generous bank-balance? any decade, any century.

With a reasonable middle-class income? the 60s (great music, Mk 2 Jags :senile: end of steam, love-ins :smoke: , cold war Berlin, First Class TEEs, Boeing 707 Pan Am Clippers, BOAC, the B*** P*****n, exotic cheroots for those so inclined :nono: , great music, brand new (eventually prized vintage) guitars at 60s prices, double-rover tickets, early (pre Pertwee) Dr Who...)

Mind you, I'd have to avoid myself (I grew up in London in the Sixties) as I'd be crossing my own time stream - and we all know what happens when THAT occurs on Dr Who...

Archived