Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Duke of Gloucester

GC Jack

Just picked a partly built DJH kit of the Duke on ebay.

Couple of questions.

Did the tender have oval buffers and what was the shed plate it carried before it was taken out of service?

Many thanks,

Jack

Are you modelling it as BR steam (pre-1968) or as preserved?

Note - as preserved it has had some very visible modifications to the tender.

Cheers,

Mick

Added to that, it's carried three different tenders in its life. OTTOMH, the DJH catered for the later BR one - the BR1J. Aside from the obvious preservation modifications, there is little difference between the BR1E it was built with and the one it has now, which I believe was originally behind a 9F? Basically, it's a BR1C modified to have a vast water capacity.

HTH,

The DJH BR1J is quite the unfriendliest mix of etched and cast components that I've ever come across. There's a whitemetal cross-piece, for example, that is supposed to act as a brace for the tender rear. I wouldn't have chosen whitemetal for that!

Not to mention some of the most comprehensive instructions around! :O

Thanks to all for the latest.

I am modelling it before preservation, 1960's, so can you advise me of the detailed changes please?

The tender has a coal pusher I assume that is correct?

Jack

Hi Jack

Yes, BR1J with a coal pusher from October 1957. Tim's right about the other tenders too. Preservation one is a BR1C from 92134 converted to a BR1E and then extra water tanks added on the rear top behind the coal space I think.

Iain

AFAIK the BR1J tender coupled behind 71000 was the only one ever built?

It had a steam powered coal pusher. The loco was dubbed a "coal scoffer" by enginemen.

And yes, ordinary "(transfer?), numbers until preservation, brass nameplates and a 5A shedplate all her life.

• RMweb Gold

Yes the 1J was made specifically for the Duke. But then the 1E was one of a kind too I think. The current tender was first converted to a 1E by removing the coal partition. It has subsequently been made more like a 1J with a much enlarged water tank and extended rear raves

For those interested here's a shot of the DJH version next to the Golden Arrow resin body

post-6717-0-32474400-1323635272_thumb.jpg

I suspect that DJH shortened the boiler to fit the Brit chassis. A professional kit builder told me that there is a compromise in the DJH West Country. I have one but I can't see it.

Lovely shot of your kit Mick excellent work.

Jack

Archived