The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Facebook

edcayton

I drop onto Facebook daily, sometimes more than once a day, depending on my work load.

I like facebook for what it is, a way to keep in touch with friends from afar.

I used to work with forty really good people in my last job and they live as far apart as Taunton and Perth. Without facebook, I'd would have never kept in touch after we all went our seperate ways.

Facebook allows me to see what they've been up to and for them to do the same for me.

In the next year, I'll also use facebook for marketing, as I hit the road as a stand up comic.

Where I think Facebook is missused, if I can say such a thing, is when people spend all day, every day on it. (Especially playing flipping Farmville and sending me requests).

The ironic thing, is I still view facebook as being my "private life". I would never give my FB out to clients or even people off the different forums I subscribe to.

I suppose it's because I talk very frankly and freely on my FB page and know for a fact that I'd offend 97.3% of the people I know outside of facebook. :)

So, my opinion is, FB is a usefull tool, not a replacement for real life.

I think Facebook's great - being able to keep in contact so easily even when they're on the other side of the world is fantastic. Being able to publically take the piss out of one of my closest friends now he's defected to the west side of the pennines, pricless :D

Seriously though, I think when it's used appropriatly it's a very positive thing. Of the 391 people on my friends list I know the vast majority persoanlly and the few I don't have added me as a result of shared interests. Some people have seen my blog and got in touch and after a while have invited as a friend on FB. Subsquently met some at exhibtions as a result :)

Control what you put on and it's all good.

LinkedIn is far better in that it's for professional use, and there's less scope for embarrassing things to pop up there.

LinkedIn is essentially the corporate-IT-policy acceptable version of Facebook!

• RMweb Premium

FB is blocked on the work networks as are all other social networking and private email providers. A good idea in my opinion. There is a generation a little younger than me which seems incapable of living without their mobile glued to their ear and texting / FBing away on their other iPhone at the same time. And we wonder why they find it hard to get or keep a job?

I'm on FB for perhaps 15 minutes in the morning some days and as much again most evenings. That's ample to scan through any updates or news. Anything over and above that usually means I'm using their chat function to hold a personal conversation.

I don't understand the concept (my fault) and have no intention of becoming anyone's 'friend' with whom I haven't had any contact.

Sounds like a perilous sort of place to me.

I would be interested to know where the interest in becoming my 'friend' originates.

My guess would be Nigeria or the back streets of Amsterdam where I'm obviously pretty famous.

Facebook? You call on someone and they're on Facebook, forget it! They remind me of people on death row feeding carrier pigeons while they're waiting to die

............ oooh.....ahhh........ luv you......wow, wots up.....lol....¡¡Uffff, casi no llego!!! ......someone has sent you a hug.....

:banghead:

• RMweb Gold

Facebook? You call on someone and they're on Facebook, forget it! They remind me of people on death row feeding carrier pigeons while they're waiting to die

FB Friend request on its way... :laugh: :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

I use it for keeping in touch with friends in far away places and getting information from a few organisations that use it. After a couple of years I have just (only just) moved into double figures of "friends". I do look with some humour at the allegedly targeted advertising, I seem to get a lot of ones about Alzheimers or credit cards for people with a poor credit history.

• RMweb Premium

Not particularly bothered with it myself though have an account. I can see its value in keeping in touch and for businesses and charities where it can be a very useful tool.

I've also seen first hand the damage it can do when used maliciously, hence no particular interest in it or putting stuff on it. Same goes for Twitter.

I`ve been told that Facebook is good for "finding ex-school chums"......

....but, the point is; that I`ve spent the last (ahem!) 50 years trying to keep away from them! :sarcastic:

There`d only be Helen Highwater I`d want to meet: and then, only to poke fun at her name......again! :laugh:

I don't understand the concept (my fault) and have no intention of becoming anyone's 'friend' with whom I haven't had any contact.

Sounds like a perilous sort of place to me.

I would be interested to know where the interest in becoming my 'friend' originates.

My guess would be Nigeria or the back streets of Amsterdam where I'm obviously pretty famous.

Yep, you don't understand the concept

I use facebook mostly for keeping in contact with old school friends and people I work with in my job, but I do find the Dapol page on there very useful for new releases and also the Model Rail page can be good too.

I'm not a person who lives constantly with a need to update my facebook status or play Farmville it's really a tool to check with upcoming events and stuff.

• RMweb Gold

It's almost as sad as grown men playing with small trains... ;)

...or spending too much time on RMWeb. Having been chastised by a miffed member last week, who found I post an average of 4 posts a day here, and now admitting (above) to being a Facebook user - how sad can a chap become? If I did Smileys, he'd have a broad grin!

• RMweb Gold

I'm on it most days, but just for a few minutes. One of the reasons I'm on there is that some of the footplate crews on the MHR use it as a means of keeping in touch, getting turns covered etc.

Ah, now there's an idea. Having just heard of an operating company which spent half a million £s on a rostering system they spent two years trying to get working - and failed - it now seems they could have done the job for a few quid. :scratchhead:

Makes me laugh folk coming up with justifitions for being on Facebook. If it turns you on just say so. From what I've seen, the young 'uns come home from school and chat to schoolmates they just left 10 minutes before, the married and newly-single type are there looking out for new tricks and the old folks are checking if there is a funeral today...

• RMweb Premium

Actually I am old enough to remember when girls went home from school and telephoned their best mate for 2 hours talking about nothing, says he who can easily have a phone conversation lasting an hour. Facebook is a cheap alternative.

Archived