59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

Put the last of the detail on 59th,can you spot the difference(answers on a pos......)

attachicon.gif22.jpg

attachicon.gif10.jpg

SPOILER ALERT:

1) Diesel has moved

2) White stake bed truck has moved

3) crossbucks added on both sides of tracks

4) white line on street added

5) green sign added above window on building behind hot dog cart

6) person on "far left" side of track is gone (replaced by crossbuck!)

7) Tan car added (behind black car)

8 ) Tardis has gone to a different place in space/time.   ;)

Did I miss any?

Edited by Mike Boucher

White line added down the street in front of the Elmo Motel. Think there is also a square yellow sign to accompany the white line. 

Bingo!!,you win the coconut,it's a yellow stop sign (think they were used till the late fifties,before they went red) 

Cats name, galore,(think 60's james bond)

Ray

Bingo!!,you win the coconut,it's a yellow stop sign (think they were used till the late fifties,before they went red) 

Cats name, galore,(think 60's james bond)

Ray

The 1954 supplement to the 1948 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices specified a change to white letters on a red background. A red background/white letters was the initial proposal but was changed to yellow in 1924 because yellow was more visible at night. The sign was octagonal, the shape being an additional recognition factor.

attachicon.gifth.jpg

Highpeak,

This is the sign i used,the layout is based in mid/late 60's and thought there would still be some knocking about on the minor roads in most cities.

Ray

Per this page, adherence to the MUTCD signs didn't actually become mandatory until 1966 http://signalfan.freeservers.com/road%20signs/stopsign.htm so the yellow sign could have lived on for some time after the 1954 change, I am sure there were other priorities for spending money on than a sign in a dingy industrial district.

One interesting note in there is that the signs used to be much lower than they are these days.

• 4 months later...

post-13979-0-09021300-1396463250_thumb.jpg

59th and Rust is out this weekend at  Maryport, a local show for me,if your in the area call in and say hello

Other shows booked this year

LYDCC MRG Manchester 17/18 May

TVNAM  14 June

Shipley 20/21 Sept

plus others to be confirmed

Hope to see you at one of the above

Ray

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I think legally you need crossing bucks both sides of both tracks. Because there are private locations in between.

Andy

Interesting,even on a lightly used street like Rust st!!!

to be honest i thought they had to be on the right hand side,didn't know they had to be on both sides,is this law in all states or does it vary from state to state??

Don't want the rossers after me!!i have enough trouble with the rivet counters :nono:  :stinker:  

Ray

Andy

i've searched high and low for info on cross buck at both side of road (obviously looking in the wrong places),i can find loads about stop, yeild, extra sign approaching the crossing, but now't about 2 cross buck either side of road.

Can you point me in the right direction,won't have time to do alteration now,but if i think it will benifit the layout,will have it done for TVNAM

Ray

Hi Ray

I think Andy means a single cross-buck on each side of each track, the guy in the black car could stop at the warehouse in between. If someone else moved the car for him they wouldn't have seen the cross-buck.

Nick