Bachmann 10-ton Cattle Wagon 37-705

I see that Bachmann are about to release these in N E livery. Would this be prototypical or purely fictitious?

Pure fiction I am afraid.  It is nothing like any LNER standard design nor any inherited from the pre-grouping companies. Also I find this it a little dissapointing of Bachmann to do this.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Pure fiction I am afraid.  It is nothing like any LNER standard design nor any inherited from the pre-grouping companies. Also I find this it a little dissapointing of Bachmann to do this.

Tony

Considering the money Bachmann must spend on retooling other models (sometimes several times over), you'd think it would be worthwhile creating a new model cattle wagon of at least ONE actual prototype. If sales proved to be acceptable, then others could follow. If unacceptable then at least they could repaint, say an LMS cattle wagon in the others of the Big Four. At least that would slightly better than something that looks like NO prototype.

• 4 months later...

I've got one of these Bachmann 37-708 LMS grey cattle wagons, as well as a Bachmann 37-705 LMS brown cattle wagon. I was aware of the dimensional problems with them but was willing to tolerate this in order to add some variety to my Cornish broccoli train which is made up mainly of GWR cattle wagons. But I don't know if either of these LMS cattle wagons were vacuum fitted - can anyone shed some light on this? If it helps, the running numbers are 69453 and 214878.

Many thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide,

Ben

I've got one of these Bachmann 37-708 LMS grey cattle wagons, as well as a Bachmann 37-705 LMS brown cattle wagon. I was aware of the dimensional problems with them but was willing to tolerate this in order to add some variety to my Cornish broccoli train which is made up mainly of GWR cattle wagons. But I don't know if either of these LMS cattle wagons were vacuum fitted - can anyone shed some light on this? If it helps, the running numbers are 69453 and 214878.

Many thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide,

Ben

If you accept this in lieu of a dia 1661 (Parkside do a great kit of this) then the M2923xx series were piped and therefore brown in BR days.

A photo of 214875 circa 1937 is in LMS wagons Vol 1 and is stated to be bauxite livery. Most of the numbers were random so I am not sure if 69453 is right or not.

If you accept this in lieu of a dia 1661 (Parkside do a great kit of this) then the M2923xx series were piped and therefore brown in BR days.

A photo of 214875 circa 1937 is in LMS wagons Vol 1 and is stated to be bauxite livery. Most of the numbers were random so I am not sure if 69453 is right or not.

Thanks very much Ronnie, that's very helpful info. It sounds like I might need to renumber them into the 2923xx series to get the piped versions I'd like - do you know if they were piped as built or if this was a BR modification? I ask as my layout is set in 1947.

Also, if you happen to have the picture of 214875 to hand, does the branding correspond with that applied by Bachmann on 37-708: http://www.ehattons.com/60954/Bachmann_Branchline_37_708_12Ton_LMS_cattle_wagon_in_LMS_bauxite/StockDetail.aspx

The location of the LMS branding on the model has always struck me as a little odd - I would have expected to see it in the left hand corner above the number, but then I'm no LMS expert unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip re the Parkside kit - something to add to the list of future projects!

Ben

It really is a poor model unfortunately, starting off in the old Mainline range and shortened to fit the standard wagon underframe with far too prominent body strapping, but until recently has been the only practical representation of an LMS cattle wagon. The Parkside one is in another league entirely.The earlier LMS builds were a mixture of piped and non piped and info on any lifetime mods seems to be scarce but according to a pic in  LMS wagons vol1 of a string of new builds with AVB, the leading one being numbered  293272, then that sequence would do. Due to the random numbering used I don't suppose there will be a definitive answer to this one.

Thanks very much Ronnie, that's very helpful info. It sounds like I might need to renumber them into the 2923xx series to get the piped versions I'd like - do you know if they were piped as built or if this was a BR modification? I ask as my layout is set in 1947.

Also, if you happen to have the picture of 214875 to hand, does the branding correspond with that applied by Bachmann on 37-708: http://www.ehattons.com/60954/Bachmann_Branchline_37_708_12Ton_LMS_cattle_wagon_in_LMS_bauxite/StockDetail.aspx

The location of the LMS branding on the model has always struck me as a little odd - I would have expected to see it in the left hand corner above the number, but then I'm no LMS expert unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip re the Parkside kit - something to add to the list of future projects!

Ben

Hi Ben

I have pmed you the page so you can judge on the livery. I believe they were built piped.

Agree with all the above but to an extent it depends on what you want to achieve in overall terms. If you are fastidious about prototype accuracy then yes, the Bachmann vans are poor - but if you merely want to produce a convincing overall 'picture', then they are quite acceptable.

Here are some of mine on Orford - to date no-one has ever noticed (or at least, have been too polite to point out) that they are inaccurate, even though I know that they are.

post-14917-0-91846700-1446281353_thumb.jpg

The Airfix kit makes up into a tidy wagon.  I'm not sure whether Dapol still produce the kit.

attachicon.gifAirfix Cattle Wagon End.jpg

attachicon.gifAirfix Cattle Wagon.jpg

Mike

When I was in the Dapol shop a few weeks ago they had of these cattle wagons on display and you will find all the range is still in production and are great value for money as well as being fairly accurate

Ben

It's a pretty advanced kit! Most Parkside kits are "shake the bag" BUT this one requires a bit more.

The axleboxes are separate from the solebar and one has to drill 32 holes and make 16 rails. All I have done to mine so far is to

mod the ​underside of the floor to hide the lead weights. It would be a sin to put the ballast inside the "moo" compartment!

post-15321-0-89324500-1446490232_thumb.jpg

Does the parkside kit include a bar for the diagonal?  I think this would be best etched rather than plastic as it was a thin steel bar

Tony

Yes; it's microstrip! I may use brass strip. I need to get some to repace the plastic that I use for tiebars (this falls of with clumsy handling) I have to say Parkside stuff is wonderful. It's me! I like robust and finescale but they rarely go hand in hand.

.....if you want accuracy forget the Mainline/Bachmann variations and opt for David Geen's excellent kit to Diagram 1661, but do bear in mind that these are whitemetal kits so, if you build a rake, you will be pulling a fair weight. As a parallel, accurate offering, Parkside has now released its own offering of the LMS Cattle Wagon to the same diagram which received a very positive review in the latest Model Railway Journal. I have 3 of the David Geen kits running on my Dentdale layout + four Slater's kits of their MR version, and even two of the original 'body only' kit for the LMS Cattle Wagon marketed nearly 50 years ago by George Slater himself. All sit comfortably together. Happy modelling, Ian Nuttall

Orford's rake of cattle wagons looks nice but am I not right in thinking that the application of whitewash was discontinued many years ago well before BR came into being?

Edward

Google seems to suggest 1926, but I'll confess to have not thought anything of it until your comment :)

• RMweb Premium

Orford's rake of cattle wagons looks nice but am I not right in thinking that the application of whitewash was discontinued many years ago well before BR came into being?

Edward

Several other threads within RMWeb on this topic, but basically from1926 onwards, the practice was banned.

Archived