The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Can I Use Sky+ Box for Free?

edcayton

I've still got my Sky+ box from the days when we were rich enough to afford it! When we left Sky they said they did not want the box back, and that it would still work as a "FreeSat" box and it did, kind of, but it seems to gain and lose various channels from time to time, and won't record.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get it working as a recorder again, other than subscribing to Sky again? Any advice gratefully received.

Ed

Channels move around from time to time, or come and go. Try a re-tune.

I don't know about the recording side. Could it be that the recording software/firmware is tied into the Sky electronic program guide?

If so, then if you aren't able to access channels where the EPG is downloaded (in the background), then there's nothing for the box's operating system to work off.

I could be way off the mark though ?

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if it is possible to get it working as a recorder again, other than subscribing to Sky again? Any advice gratefully received.

Ed

The stuff on the recorder is encrypted in the same way as the Sky signal, so you can't play it without paying them AFAIK. As I can't get a good terrestial signal I bought a Freesat box with HDD when I decided that I had donated enough of my cash to the RMBF.

I would doubt if Sky hadn't fixed it so that you cannot.

Where we re we can only pick up Sky, a traditional arial or freesat simply do not make it. So IMO we should get it free - provided by the BBC. It is not that we live in the remote hills of Scotland! But there is so little on tv Sky or otherwise worth watching these days, if it was up to me I'd cancel it and do without but SWMBO is addicted to the soaps (I'm sure it is something subliminal) and even wants a third tv + Sky box installed!

I think it is all controlled by that card that is slid into the slot, the two units we have are not interchangeable.

This is a long shot and may still not be available, but I had a second Sky box spare that I gave to my BiL. He was able to get a card from Sky that would allow the box to be used but would only allow the free to air channels to be used.

This was a few years ago and that option may no longer be possible. I'll ask a few questions and scoot around the AV forums to see what I can find out for you.

Edit: I haven't read this in detail, but believe it is on the right lines.

http://www.ukfree.tv...pme.php?faqid=8

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=991502

• RMweb Premium

I would doubt if Sky hadn't fixed it so that you cannot.

Where we re we can only pick up Sky, a traditional arial or freesat simply do not make it.

As others have said, you can't record on a Sky+ box without paying Sky a monthly fee.

In terms of reception than Sky and Freesat are the same signal from the same satellites, the only difference is the EPG and use interface, so if you can get one you can get the other.

• RMweb Premium

This is a long shot and may still not be available, but I had a second Sky box spare that I gave to my BiL. He was able to get a card from Sky that would allow the box to be used but would only allow the free to air channels to be used.

This was a few years ago and that option may no longer be possible. I'll ask a few questions and scoot around the AV forums to see what I can find out for you.

Edit: I haven't read this in detail, but believe it is on the right lines.

http://www.ukfree.tv...pme.php?faqid=8

An old Sky subscription card - provided it is the current type of card (they change every few years) will give you 'Free to view' channels, which is a bigger selection than 'Free to air' which you'd get without a card. Still no recording facility without paying money though. From memory a brand new 'Free to view' card from Sky is a 20 quid one off fee.

In terms of reception than Sky and Freesat are the same signal from the same satellites, the only difference is the EPG and use interface, so if you can get one you can get the other.

That is most strange. We had a freeview box and couldn't get anything. The tv engineer (I don't profess to know much about these things, said we could only get reception through Sky. All our neighbours have the same problem. We signed up to Sky, their engineer came out and, heh presto, lots of pay to view rubbish tv (but the signal strength is pretty good)

• RMweb Premium

That is most strange. We had a freeview box and couldn't get anything. The tv engineer (I don't profess to know much about these things, said we could only get reception through Sky. All our neighbours have the same problem. We signed up to Sky, their engineer came out and, heh presto, lots of pay to view rubbish tv (but the signal strength is pretty good)

Hi

FreeSat and FreeView are different things. Freeview comes through the normal aerial like the analogue signal (does or did depending where you are), FreeSat requires a dish and you can use a Sky dish for FreeSat,

Cheers

Paul

FreeSat and FreeView are different things. Freeview comes through the normal aerial like the analogue signal (does or did depending where you are), FreeSat requires a dish and you can use a Sky dish for FreeSat,

Cheers

Paul

I could be confused then (I wonder how many others) but definitely not an aerial, we don't have one, Did have a square satellite dish that was put up by the previous occupants that the freeview/sat box was connected to. Now replaced with a big ugly Sky dish.

• RMweb Gold

our main telly can get freeview hd (ariel), freesat hd and we have sky HD box attached as well as a 2nd hd box in another room, when we changed the 2nd box from standard to HD we had to phone sky who then assigned the viewing card to the HD box as we couldnt get the HD channels until they did so.

the spare standard box is now unused and cardless and if we decide to use it in another room we will have to contact sky for an extra viewing card, but then it would also be an extra subscription to pay, for that reason were now looking at whatever tv we buy being a freesat one.

as both our sky boxes have a record facility we needed 2 inputs on the LNB on the dish per box (one to play whatever is on, the other to be able to record at the same time etc) therefore our dish now has 8 inputs on it, 2 for the sky downstairs, 2 for the sky upstairs, 1 for the freesat, 3 are currently spare but one is earmarked for whatever freesat tv we get.

we have only just got the freesat and freeview rigged up as the sky more than suited our needs but we decided to have a bit of backup incase sky went down or we decided to get shut

• RMweb Premium

I could be confused then (I wonder how many others)

Lots I would think, you hear the phrase 'Sky satellite' even on tech forums, although all Sky do is lease capacity on the satellites (presumably owned by EADS) for their own channels (sky One, Sky Sports etc.). Freesat do make the point on their website:-

http://www.freesat.c...e-your-sky-dish

I have tried a Humax Freesat HD box on my Sky dish, results were fine, although not very 'HD' on a 28" CRT! - did look a bit better than an average SD Sky channel though.

If it is a few years since you tried with a terrestrial aerial, you may now be able to get decent freeview (digital terrestrial television) reception. I am in Herts, in a location that had dire analogue reception, especially of BBC1 and BBC2, since the introduction of UHF. It took several years of improvement before the freeview system really performed but now it does the job very well on the main channels and will receive more dross than I have any use for in variable quality. When analogue switch off occurs next year and the freeview signal strength is increased I expect even the dross will come in good technical quality.

John Lewis were very helpful in mapping where freeview was available as the service coverage improved, and if you have a local branch perhaps they can advise? Doubtless other good retailers with an eye to the main chance are capable of being similarly helpful...

• RMweb Premium

The power of the Freeview signals is boosted by a factor of 10 after a region goes through switchover, so lots of people that had problems with analogue or low power digital reception will probably get a decent picture after switchover, in addition the digital signals are much more robust against 'ghosting' type problems that analogue suffered from for many people.

Freeview - FreeSat, not that easy to tell them apart is it ?????

I think the clue is possibly in the Sat bit of FreeSat ?

Free satellite viewing information. Some very useful links in the text on this page. Lots of info covering all aspects of this subject can be accessed from this page.

There's confirmation on this site that the PVR functions of the Sky+ box are disabled, if you cancel the Sky subscription.

A list of FreeSat and Sky Free to Air channels (there's a note at the bottom)

Sky Freesat card

For Kenton, I'm not sure if this is any use (particularly if you don't already have the info), your area (Wokingham) will be switching over soon. Here are a few quick links......

Map

Dates for the switchover. There's a link to a map below the list of transmitters.

Dates for Hannington transmitter. note there's a third date in April (further down the page).

Many thanks as ever for all the prompt replies people. So, if I have to buy a "PVR" box, which is the better bet-freeview or freesat? I certainly do not wish to pay for extra channels, so will be OK with the free-to-view ones.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks as ever for all the prompt replies people. So, if I have to buy a "PVR" box, which is the better bet-freeview or freesat? I certainly do not wish to pay for extra channels, so will be OK with the free-to-view ones.

Ed

It can depend on what you want to watch as not all Freeview (arieal) channels are avaleable on Freesat (dish) and vi-sversa. For example the channel 'Dave' is avalable on Freeview but to watch it on satalite you have to subscribe to Sky. On the other hand satalite gives you access to every BBC region - sometimes usefull for watching the ocasional regional programming still about while Freeview will only give you the local region. Radio channels are also more extensive on a satalite system - although this is not really relevent when talking about PVRs

I am told the reason for this difference between the two systems is down to the 'footprint' of the satalite transponder (the transmitting bit on the orbiting satalite) and the 'rights' broadcasters purchase to show programmes. Basically if the broadcaster only has the 'rights' to show a programme to the UK and Ireland it either has to broadcast it on a 'UK & Ireland' only transponder (which are limited in number and are used by the likes of the BBC, ITV & C4 - although not C5) or encypt the signal so that only UK + Ireland residents with the correct viewing cards can see it. Also because Freesat is a relativly recent arival, many channels will have already done deals with Sky \ satalite owners and thus find themselves locked into contracts which do not allow them to broadcast on Freesat.

• RMweb Premium

Ed

Really comes down to whether you're interested in HD or not; if not the there are plenty of cheap (i.e. sub 100 quid) Freeview PVRs around, less so for Freesat.

With Freeview you don't necessarily get all the stations advertised, depending on where you are in the transmission system. We're at the end of a branch line and can't get Dave, Film4 or even ITV3 and ITV4 (since they 'harmonised' all the C5 frequencies a year ago).

• RMweb Premium

With Freeview you don't necessarily get all the stations advertised, depending on where you are in the transmission system. We're at the end of a branch line and can't get Dave, Film4 or even ITV3 and ITV4 (since they 'harmonised' all the C5 frequencies a year ago).

Good point, my mum lives in Weymouth, on the site of the loco depot ,. and can only get the 'Freeview Lite' channels, she had a better selection before DSO.

My main sky box is an HD Box I also have a sky+ box in my bedroom which I use as a freesat box; I cancelled the 10 pounds per month subscription from sky, I can get most freesat programmes on it and it will live pause and record.

I also used an old sky box in my kitchen but bought a freesat card from sky ; it did work but did not get ch5 so for 20 pounds and again get most freesat programmes.

Sometimes without warning the kitchen box gets all the sky channels for a few days but switches back to freesat reception I have not complained about this for I think they think I will take out a full subscription for this box.

I also have a freesat box in the spare room for guests its free only paid for the box

there are some good links from ron ron ron which will help

Archived