Class 325 Royal Mail EMU in 00 Gauge

CWJ

Hello Will,

The 325 looks excellent, I have seen a fair few of these going past and always thought they would make a good model,

here is an excuse to run a single unit though,

http://www.wnxx.com/pictures/92026.htm

Your 155 was also impressive and looks far better than my Hornby one, any clues as to what is next in your workshops?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks Chaps - yes they do occasionally run as single units, slightly more often in pairs but most commonly in three 4-car sets. My unit isn't even suitable for my layout (which will be a model of Keighley, West Yorkshire) so I don't mind if the consist is unconvincing! I was building it really because I thought it would result in an interesting and rare model for a reasonably simple conversion. Hindsight is a wonderful thing... :)

Wild Boar Fell (good name, BTW) - the 155 isn't as impressive when you see the messy bits I didn't photograph too closely, but it was satisfying to build something with a bit more detail than the Dapol model.

As for my next project, I'm going to be concentrating on the baseboards for my layout so rolling stock will take a back seat. After that, I have the following projects on the list:

• The NMT, converted from Lima, Hornby and Joueff MKIII coaches. This is already 50% complete but I'm considering abandoning it as I was only building it for the novelty value and now NMT models are ten a penny.
  • A detailed Class 156, using the Lima model as a base and underframe parts rescued from the 150s used in the 325 project. This would be an interesting one as I'd need some sort of low-profile motor bogie or underfloor drive.
  • A Class 142, using Hornby parts with a High Level Models drive unit (or similar), well-detailed interior with lowered floor, 4-leaf doors and lighting. Might be possible to use some of the 150 details on this too.
  • A Class 308 in late-1990s West Yorkshire condition. Probably to be based on the DC Kits kit (or do Southern Pride do one?) with all sorts of details. A friend who lived in the Aire valley at the time has some lovely photos for me to work from.
  • A Class 333 (no, this is not a joke, you can't model the present Airedale line without one) - no idea how to tackle this, it'll need me to do what a senior manager would call 'thinking outside the box'. There's no suitable base model; the Class 350 bogies may be a good match but the body length and profile is different. I could see modular parts being scratch-built in styrene and resin copies made.
  • A rake of vehicles from the High Output Ballast Cleaner train (but not the full train, which is half a mile long). These would need to be completely scratch-built.
  • A model of the Arriva Trains Northern loco-hauled rake of MkIIs with top-and-tailed CLass 37s. I've already bought the base models but being the wrong variant of MkII they need a bit of work.

If anyone has any preferences, please let me know! It might be 6 to 12 months before I start but it would be nice to do something which would be of interest to others on here.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

The NMT, converted from Lima, Hornby and Joueff MKIII coaches. This is already 50% complete but I'm considering abandoning it as I was only building it for the novelty value and now NMT models are ten a penny.

Hi Will,

But "properly" modelled NMT's aren't....................

(Set of Pete Harvey etches and enough Mk3's and power cars on the "to-do" shelf, as I want to do a more up-to-date version)

Cheers,

Mick

or hows about the Vulcan diesel shunter D226? something interesting that you dont see modelled often.

I like the MD&HB diesel shunter they have but dont know if its ever gotten out and about on the line? Judith Edge kits do it.

plenty of Ready to run

Heljan railbus.

Bachmann austerity 2-8-0.

list goes on..

But "properly" modelled NMT's aren't....................

Yes, some models seem to be more convincing than others! I can't claim that mine will be 100% right but I'll at least get all the windows in the right place so I'll be one step ahead of certain RTR models...

(Set of Pete Harvey etches and enough Mk3's and power cars on the "to-do" shelf, as I want to do a more up-to-date version)

Mine was done the hard way before the etches were available - lots of cutting and shutting! I also have a pair of Hornby (old model) power cars as the new model wasn't available at the time I started this. Not sure whether to soup them up or invest in a pair of the new ones. Only trouble is, I'd like to have one power car with buffers and one without - anyone fancy doing a swap?

or hows about the Vulcan diesel shunter D226? something interesting that you dont see modelled often.

It's on my 'to do' list, but I'll probably hold of for a few years as you never know what might be produced RTR. I always thought I'd have to build the W&M railbuses from scratch but look what happened! D0226 would make an attractive model but because it was unique and had a short life with BR I'm not sure it would be popular.

I like the MD&HB diesel shunter they have but dont know if its ever gotten out and about on the line? Judith Edge kits do it.

Yes, I can remember it shunting at Oxenhope but it's been up on blocks outside Haworth shed for a few years now. I've seen the Judith Edge kit and having heard good things about his products I won't hesitate to order one when the time comes!

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Yes, some models seem to be more convincing than others! I can't claim that mine will be 100% right but I'll at least get all the windows in the right place so I'll be one step ahead of certain RTR models...

Mine was done the hard way before the etches were available - lots of cutting and shutting! I also have a pair of Hornby (old model) power cars as the new model wasn't available at the time I started this. Not sure whether to soup them up or invest in a pair of the new ones. Only trouble is, I'd like to have one power car with buffers and one without - anyone fancy doing a swap?

I know yours will look the part. My first NMT was done using Hurst overlays.

I've already done a PC swap with Big Bob so we've both ended up with one buffer/one original, so is there anyone out there than can help Will?

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick, although there's no rush as I haven't even bought a pair of power cars yet. Need to keep all these tempting models out of sight so I can concentrate on my baseboards!

Afraid not Dan, it hasn't seen any action as my layout is still under construction. I did test-run the power car on its own and I can report that it runs as smoothly as you'd expect a Bachmann Class 150 to run, but at the time I didn't have the couplings fitted to the other vehicles.

Cheers,

Will

Ash - too right! Think I'll leave that for as long as possible in the hope that a RTR manufacturer tackles it first.

Dan - I've promised a friend that his Class 20-hauled weedkiller train can be the first to operate on my layout, but I'll make sure the 325 comes second!

Cheers,

Will

• 1 month later...

Swifty - I'm afraid not, I can't think of any other model which looks anything close to a 323 unfortunately. It might be a contender for a RTR model one day but I imagine many other EMUs would come first. I'm afraid the most useful thing I can suggest is to get scratch-building!

Cav - I'd love to, and thanks for the kind invitation, but we're planning a house move at the moment and I can't even seem to find time to go for a quiet pint, let alone a day out! Once we've re-located I'll make every effort to track your layout down at an exhibition and bring the unit along. (Note to self... I'll have to get the pantograph working properly now...) :)

Grimley - Thanks for your kind comments - I've been following your work too - inspiring stuff.

Now, I'm not in a position to start a new project at the moment, but there may be a glimmer of hope for the Class 333 idea. I was looking at the Bachmann Turbostar the other day and believe it or not, the body profile reminded me of a 333. Furthermore, the 'ribbon'-style glazing strip can be removed and replaced with something that has the windows in the right places. Obviously it would need a completely new underframe (Bachmann Class 350 bogies would be about right) and cabs, but it's a start.

post-9324-0-63339400-1347353159.jpg

post-9324-0-56381100-1347353175.jpg

Cheers,

Will

Copyright note: the Class 333 photo is from Wikipedia and is described as being in the pubilc domain; the other one is from Hattons' excellent website - I hope they won't mind me using it in return for accidentally mentioning their name in a good light :)

Archived