The Model Signal box portfolio

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not to be compared to the fine examples of 'high fidelity' modelling but when scanning in some old negatives I came across these. The box is based on Knightcote which was a small break section box just north of Fenny Compton. I made it on the occasion of the retirement of the, sadly, late Bob Small, relief signalman at Leamington Spa, Knightcote being Bob's first box. It was actually a musical jewellry box, when you lifted the lid it played ' If I where a rich man'!

post-14048-0-00013100-1353360362_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-78549000-1353360509_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Well, here goes: hope I am posting in this in an appropriate thread.  Having been an avid admirer of other peoples' work on here, I thought I would (attempt to) share with you all a picture of the Type 16 box I am currently scratch-building for my 'West of Salisbury/East of Yeovil' layout.  Working from photographs, my inspiration is 75% Tisbury, 20% Crewkerne and the remaining 5% is Gillingham (which should cover the access stairs).  However, I hope it captures the look of the thing.  Construction is still at a very early stage (the roof and the windows are not fixed yet): all feedback gratefully received, good or bad.

Best wishes, Paul

post-10582-0-92806200-1364252339_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Eggsford box and Grampus, thanks for your posts, lovely box Eggsford, that hinged roof must be original :-)

Grampus look forward to seeing the box finished you have made a good job of it so far :-)

cheers

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Dear all,

First, a big 'thank you' for all the 'likes' of my previous picture. They encouraged me to actually get on with some modelling for a change, instead of planning big ideas from the safety of the armchair. I have been busy today, decorating the interior of the 'box: it is now 'wall-papered' and there is a floor covering down: still need to add a couple of doors and some skirting board before I can get on with the fun stuff! I have a whole collection of detail 'bits' lurking in the magic cupboard upstairs: I just need to work out where they all go, though I am enjoying searching for pictures. I have also managed to make some progress with the roof this evening. Hopefully tomorrow I can cover it in some fine emery paper to simulate asphalt and then add some guttering.

I have added another couple of pictures to show my progress to date.

Best wishes,Paul

post-10582-0-88222400-1365276118_thumb.jpgpost-10582-0-01889500-1365276197_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Really have to say Gravy Train, that your portfolio of Signal boxes really is quite a stunning body of work. Absolutely fantastic and gives me something to aim for when I start looking at building my own...trouble is - I have absolutely no idea what style of box I'll be looking at. I'm modelling the West Yorkshire area (Huddersfield) but am not sure what they would have used. I'd be grateful for any pointers of style of box to go for... :)

Lee

Evening all,

Well, here goes: hope I am posting in this in an appropriate thread.  Having been an avid admirer of other peoples' work on here, I thought I would (attempt to) share with you all a picture of the Type 16 box I am currently scratch-building for my 'West of Salisbury/East of Yeovil' layout.  Working from photographs, my inspiration is 75% Tisbury, 20% Crewkerne and the remaining 5% is Gillingham (which should cover the access stairs).  However, I hope it captures the look of the thing.  Construction is still at a very early stage (the roof and the windows are not fixed yet): all feedback gratefully received, good or bad.

Best wishes, Paul

attachicon.gif20130324_151500.jpg

Hi Paul,

this is looking fantastic! did you make your own windows?

Lee

• RMweb Gold

trouble is - I have absolutely no idea what style of box I'll be looking at. I'm modelling the West Yorkshire area (Huddersfield) but am not sure what they would have used. I'd be grateful for any pointers of style of box to go for... :)

Lee

Depends on which line your model resides on. When the time is right start your own thread and ask away, we will assist.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

this is looking fantastic! did you make your own windows?

Lee

Hi Lee,

thank you for the kind words. The windows are much reworked PECO items from their LK-83 modern signal box kit, inverted and chopped about to within an inch of their lives. An article in Railway Modeller a while back by David Malton on re-working the kit to an Eastern Region 1950s prototype alerted me to the possibilities. I built the windows first on the basis that if I could not get them right then there would be little point in continuing with the build. Whilst they are still a little bit narrow I am quite pleased with the overall effect.

Basically the individual bays were cut up and re-arranged to achieve the desired configuration. I then blanked off the upper windows, but only after doing so did I realise that they were still a little bit too tall, so I ended up sawing the upper sections off to remove the excess and then re - joining them. How I laughed.... Finally I added lots of thin styrene strips to give a little bit more relief to the detail. Thankfully the plastic was extremely forgiving of my ham-fistedness and poor planning. If I were to build another I suspect I would still go down the same route but I would try to plan it better - "measure twice, cut once!", etc.

Now I just need to build up enough courage to glaze them.... :-)

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Grampus,

I did post a photo of the interior of Honiton box in the West of England signalbox farewell topic in the prototype discussions section if it is of any use to you, youre box is looking really good.

Brilliant - thank you. That is really useful. I am just tidying up the roof at the moment and hoping to start the clever stuff over the weekend. Best I dig my paintbrushes out of the vault.... :-)

Regards,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, as a novice builder, this is nothing like the quality of Gravy Train (and the other venerable members on here) but here's my first attempt at scratch building a signal box. It's based on the model of Cowes Box built by Iain Robinson, but with a few changes to suit my needs, namely making a stone base (not technically accurate for the location, but I LOVE stone) and adding a window to the rear wall (even if I did mess it up and stick the wall on back to front, so the window is on the wrong end!)

Not finshed yet, by a long shot. There are things I'd do differently next time, but I'm pleased with it so far2013-04-29+16.59.48.jpg

• Like 13

Can't believe that I've only just discovered this thread! What brilliant modelling, I shall have to raise my game! There are some inspirational models on here, for sure. Cowes is looking good, Lee!

Love the steel guitar in the box  by Il Dottore, too. I'm going to go and look at the thread from the start again now!

cheers,

Iain

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

thought I would post a quick update on my Type 16 box.  As, hopefully, the attached photo will show I have been busy on the roof, adding a gutter and some asphalt.  Having got the shape and the profile right I covered it in a layer of fine emery paper which, whilst it didn't look bad, was a bit flat and featureless.  After a quick study of a number of buildings with felt covered roofs where I work, I decided to have another go.  This time I have used a number of sheets, trimmed and scored, to give it a little more depth and definition ( I suspect the builders would have been hard-pressed to find a sheet of felt big enough to cover such a roof in a oner in any event?) The photo is a bit cruel in that it shows where some of the seams have not been sealed yet, but a careful application of white glue followed by a couple of coats of panzer grey and then a thin black wash will work wonders (fingers crossed!) Progress is a little slower than I would like  - the real world keeps encroaching - but I think I'm moving in the right direction.   I have now located all sorts of interesting white metal castings with which to fill the interior, and with CinC Home Command away for the weekend I hope to make some progress on the ladder. I should also start to do something about the doors (the white areas in the photo are merely structural blanks).   More anon. 

Best wishes,

Paul

post-10582-0-00142000-1367534182_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Lee,

glad you are on the Signal box thread, and if that is a first attempt at modelling a box, well imagine what your boxes will look like in a few weeks :-)

that is superb, are the steps etc scratchbuil? if so you are well acomplished.

brilliant

Peter A L.

Paul,

that box is looking the buisness, can't wait to see it finished, excellent model.

cheers

Peter

Ian,

Many thanks for the comments you make, very encouraging, love the banter between you and Alan and the modelling of coarse.

cheers

Peter A L

Hi Lee,

glad you are on the Signal box thread, and if that is a first attempt at modelling a box, well imagine what your boxes will look like in a few weeks :-)

that is superb, are the steps etc scratchbuil? if so you are well acomplished.

brilliant

Peter A L.

Paul,

that box is looking the buisness, can't wait to see it finished, excellent model.

cheers

Peter

Ian,

Many thanks for the comments you make, very encouraging, love the banter between you and Alan and the modelling of coarse.

cheers

Peter A L

Cheers Peter - the steps are scratch built from styrene. After many months of making do, I went out and actually bought some modelling materials fit for purpose. The steps are a result of 2 hours' work one evening  and much eyestrain!

Evening all,

thought I would post a quick update on my Type 16 box.  As, hopefully, the attached photo will show I have been busy on the roof, adding a gutter and some asphalt.  Having got the shape and the profile right I covered it in a layer of fine emery paper which, whilst it didn't look bad, was a bit flat and featureless.  After a quick study of a number of buildings with felt covered roofs where I work, I decided to have another go.  This time I have used a number of sheets, trimmed and scored, to give it a little more depth and definition ( I suspect the builders would have been hard-pressed to find a sheet of felt big enough to cover such a roof in a oner in any event?) The photo is a bit cruel in that it shows where some of the seams have not been sealed yet, but a careful application of white glue followed by a couple of coats of panzer grey and then a thin black wash will work wonders (fingers crossed!) Progress is a little slower than I would like  - the real world keeps encroaching - but I think I'm moving in the right direction.   I have now located all sorts of interesting white metal castings with which to fill the interior, and with CinC Home Command away for the weekend I hope to make some progress on the ladder. I should also start to do something about the doors (the white areas in the photo are merely structural blanks).   More anon. 

Best wishes,

Paul

Loving the roof, Grampus. It's going to be a great model!

• RMweb Gold

A signal from me and going back almost to the dawn of the railways but a type still in use well into the 20th century. 

NER rotating board signal, recently installed on Felton Lane. The lamp has one red and one green lens.

Example - lower photo.

post-7104-0-68998400-1367946813_thumb.jpg

Edit to add link.

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 6

I've now finished my box. Here's the finished article. I now feel it's worthy of nipping at the ankles of the great builders on here, at least ;)

gallery_15693_2682_1548694.jpg

Edited by freebs
  • Like 8