Trezeath - BR(S) in N Cornwall - 00

paulr1949

Nice layout Paul. It captures the North-Cornwall feel very nice. I think the additional scenic-section looks very well and should improve shunting on the layout. The station could do with some run-around points i think.

Regards,

Werner

Thanks Werner

Yes run round points would be nice, but on the other hand it does add interest to the operating because there has to be a turnover engine for each train, although it is possible to run round a relatively short train in the approach area. It is too difficult a job, given the way the baseboards were originally constructed (with re-used chipboard and longitudinal supports as well as transverse supports!) to put them in ;-(

• RMweb Premium

I'm watching this with interest having close personal connections with north Cornwall and "through running" onto my own layout via the assumed missing link between Padstow and Newquay.  That must have been built at some stage, surely, as there are layouts of Harlyn Road and St. Mawgan ;)   

The town back scene behind the station is not familiar to me and is somewhat reminiscent of Newquay.  Is that a printed sheet and if so any idea of its origin please?  

Very Very nice, I just love that cutting, wonderful stuff and as George above says please keep the pics coming, really inspeartional.

Andy.

Thanks Andy

The new board with cutting is the only bit of the layout proper which I have actually built myself, although a group of friends has titivated the scenery, buildings etc.

I hope to take some more pictures during the Erith show, for which I am leaving in half an hour to set up.

I'm watching this with interest having close personal connections with north Cornwall and "through running" onto my own layout via the assumed missing link between Padstow and Newquay.  That must have been built at some stage, surely, as there are layouts of Harlyn Road and St. Mawgan ;)   

The town back scene behind the station is not familiar to me and is somewhat reminiscent of Newquay.  Is that a printed sheet and if so any idea of its origin please?  

My original layout (see note in earlier post or on old RM web) was a branch off this line too! As is my O gauge layout, which for various reasons (not entirely unconnected with Trezeath) has had to take a back seat for a couple of years! Trezeath though is situated north of the Camel estuary.

All the backscenes on the layout were formed by sticking pictures cut from magazines, calendars, brochures etc. to mdf painted light blue by the original builder, the late Richard Lane. It is a very effective way of creating the scene you want. I have not had time to do anything other than ask an artist friend to paint up some ply in the same light blue for the new board

• RMweb Gold

Well done Paul! I'm sure that could be Port Isaac on the backscene - and as Chris says, another North Cornwall layout on the exhibition circuit is gonna be good news.

Irrespective of the hard work of the late owner, the layout today is as you have portrayed it, and it looks brilliant.

DCC is easy - if I can do it, you can.

I'm proud to have a former colleague demonstrating great modelling!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Paul

You should be able to plug the DCC in where the track power goes to the control panel from the controller (the conroller will need unpluggimg / disconnecting) then just throw all the switches in one direction leaving them 'on'.

I have done this with a couple of my layouts that were built to conventional Dc control and they have worked fine like htis. If you want to convert the turnouts to DCC then it needs a little bit more work.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• 1 month later...

A bit of snagging work has been going on, alongside all the work on the "SJ" project (see separate thread)

The point motor at the end of the carriage sidings had been causing problems, the inbuilt switch wasn't switching properly, so I have replaced that (assisted by cutting a large chunk of superfluous framework from underneath (the underneath was built like a tank!).

We had serious problems with the turntable at the Erith show - due to the laws of physics, too much force on the vertical drive rod meant little or no movement on the top. I have started on trying to cure this problem - hopefully without having to get a new turntable.

A telegraph pole at the back of the layout which got damaged every time the board was moved has been replaced with one on the opposite side of the road

post-1392-0-48380800-1363963143_thumb.jpg

The first point levers have appeared in the loco yard area.

post-1392-0-79471400-1363963177.jpg

Finally I have started work on an MSE signal, the first one will be the platform 1 starting signal. Unfortunately two of the old (non-working) ones have been damaged in transit, so they too will need replacement. It'll definitely be a learning curve for me building this, as I haven't attempted one before.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

A belated update to what's been going on. The turntable is still the subject of much headscratching. I have replaced the mounting for the motor underneath with a simpler arrangement, but it still will not work consistently: it will turn a few times and then snag on something. There was a bit of slop in the gearbox, to which I have added another spacing washer, but to no avail. It looks as though hand operation may be the order of the day.

The previous post mentioned a signal - well I have cheated for the first two! At York with the Whiteoak Light Railway I bought a ready-built one from MSE. I have drilled the board and fixed a brass tube in the hole, into which slides a second brass tube which is soldered to the base of the signal. Inside this is a very small diameter tube which holds the operating wire. After cleaning up the excess solder, it now fits where it should, I just need to sort out the operating wire. I am considering whether to use servos for the signals (of which I have two - but no controller board yet) or tortoise point motors (of which I have a few). Experimentation to come. Andrew from MSE said that a "stop" needs to be removed from the signal to avoid servos pulling the arm against it if not adjusted quite right; but the same probably applies to the point motors - cue omega loops possibly? Oh and the signal arm needs adjusting slightly!

post-1392-0-92786000-1372248749_thumb.jpg

I then cheated again and bought another ready-made signal at Aylesbury. A start will be made on that this week.

Finally at Chatham my eye was caught by an Oxford model.

post-1392-0-28712900-1372248843_thumb.jpg

Illuminated van, lady inside serving and a crowd of punters  - they are not really suffering from food-poisoning, just awaiting planting ;-)

It was pointed out to me that it looked a bit bright, so I did something about it...

post-1392-0-49093600-1372248939_thumb.jpg

The colour of the van looks different - probably down to me using my phone to take the photos

Other things which have been ongoing are adding "floors" to the transporting boxes so that the boards don't get stuck half-way in. There are a few more bits and pieces to do - hopefully I won't find any more gremlins - before the layout's next outing, which is at Beaconsfield on 5th October.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

A bit of an overdue update, as the layout is scheduled to attend the Tonbridge exhibition in a fortnight. The layout is housed in a shed which, over the last couple of months, has become somewhat damp, but I have managed to dry it out OK, which is more than the people in the Somerset Levels can say.

I have been working for a while on trying to sort out a nagging issue in the wiring which meant that you could only run to the turntable by throwing a switch which caused a short circuit in the other 2 adjacent tracks. I *think* I have finally done this, I am in the process of testing all the boards and so far so good. Not much progress on the signals front I'm afraid, there just aren't enough hours in the day - especially when you're retired ;-)

I had hoped that my Heljan AC cars railbus which I've ordered might have arrived, but no sign yet. I bought another T9 instead!! Just got to mend my Bulleid where the electrical connection to the tender has come adrift, add a few headcode discs and tail lamps, plant a couple of new roadsigns, and sort out the accessory switch on one of the Seep point motors....not a lot.......

Hopefully I'll manage a few more photos at the exhibition.

• 2 weeks later...

Well two days to go and almost everything is packed read for transport. It looks as though things are going to be somewhat damp tomorrow and Saturday, hopefully a couple of tarpaulin sheets I have bought will keep the boards dry as we move them in and out of the Angel Centre (which I sincerely hope is still above water!)

Last little bit of sorting out stock into the right boxes this afternoon, hopefully adding a couple of detail bits. No time to weather any more stock, which I had hoped to do - I had a few problems over the last fortnight with the electrics - down to two faulty switches and one pair of wires connected the wrong way round. I also had to sort out the turntable, as it was jamming slightly - and had to go and buy some new allen keys after I managed to strip the one which tightens up the gear ;-(

Hope to see some RM-Webbers there

Well two days to go and almost everything is packed read for transport. It looks as though things are going to be somewhat damp tomorrow and Saturday, hopefully a couple of tarpaulin sheets I have bought will keep the boards dry as we move them in and out of the Angel Centre (which I sincerely hope is still above water!)

Last little bit of sorting out stock into the right boxes this afternoon, hopefully adding a couple of detail bits. No time to weather any more stock, which I had hoped to do - I had a few problems over the last fortnight with the electrics - down to two faulty switches and one pair of wires connected the wrong way round. I also had to sort out the turntable, as it was jamming slightly - and had to go and buy some new allen keys after I managed to strip the one which tightens up the gear ;-(

Hope to see some RM-Webbers there

Paul, not only is the Angel Centre above water, it didn't get touched by the flooding at Christmas either, Tonbridge itself is above water (so far :dontknow: )  We look forward to seeing you and the layout on Saturday.

Colin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I like it, looks awesome. So many Southern trains everywhere.

Looks really interesting.

Cheers, Reece

Hi Reece

Thank you for the kind comments. I will be posting a bit more soon, once I can find time to do so...that's the trouble with being retired, you never get a day off! :no:

(Grabs tin hat...)

Paul, what gives you the right to post such a wonderful layout on here and ME MISS IT in the past, this is a really inspirational bit of Southern Modelling, thank you for the great pics and I will have another look through later when I get in after Club.

Great Stuff.

Bodge :sungum:  

EDIT = Just noticed I have seen it before in Jan 2013.

Edited by Andrew P

Paul, what gives you the right to post such a wonderful layout on here and ME MISS IT in the past, this is a really inspirational bit of Southern Modelling, thank you for the great pics and I will have another look through later when I get in after Club.

Great Stuff.

Bodge :sungum:  

EDIT = Just noticed I have seen it before in Jan 2013.

Hi Andrew

I'm glad you have managed to see it - it's only been at 4 shows, although there are a couple more on the cards.

Thank you for your kind comments, as I think I have said somewhere in a previous post, I am only directly responsible for about 25-30% of what you see plus a fair amount of titivating, as I bought the layout built (as per the July [i think] 2000 Modeller)