Peterborough - Rugby

Pennine MC

Nidge will correct me if I'm wrong, but from other shots of Theddingworth I think the box is an LNW one rebuilt by BR with a flat roof

I think you're right there PMC, it was rebuilt after a fire I believe.

Thanks for the comment on the pic Chard... the Rover failed it's MOT last week but will be back on the road asap!

Nidge wink.gif

Nidge will correct me if I'm wrong, but from other shots of Theddingworth I think the box is an LNW one rebuilt by BR with a flat roof

That whole history thing makes that particular 'box enter folklore. I need a field-trip over there by the autumn, at dusk and suggestions of Sulzer Beats drifting over the harvest fields...

Blimey the blaggers are back at the bridge with their bright red fast car ! (Classic 60s and 70s gangster getaway colour e.g. Get Carter). Seriously though, great pics and love the P6, my two cars come from Solihull too. The view down the line looks seriously overgrown, although the route is still clear. In the film, there was a short signal box scene, was that filmed here as well ?

Cheers, Brian.

Blimey the blaggers are back at the bridge with their bright red fast car ! (Classic 60s and 70s gangster getaway colour e.g. Get Carter). Seriously though, great pics and love the P6, my two cars come from Solihull too. The view down the line looks seriously overgrown, although the route is still clear. In the film, there was a short signal box scene, was that filmed here as well ?

Cheers, Brian.

Get Carter... ooh don't get me started, we'll be here till Christmas chatting about that one cool.gif . The track bed itself is quite tidy compared to most closed lines these days, but the embankment sides are overgrown though. Not sure where the other box is / was, there's no exterior shot of it in the film. From memory, the interior shots of it show wooden panelling on the walls so I doubt it's Theddingworth Box. If the weather's ok next week I might nip out in the Mini and photograph it next to the Bridge, a la Barry Foster in the film.

Nidge wink.gif

Haven't seen the film for awhile, but i thought there was a quick view of a signal box across a couple of tracks, followed by the interior scene where the signalmen phones his colleague down the line. Mind you, the whole thing could have been a studio mock-up, strange things happen in feature films.

I read somewhere that Steve McQueen was a big fan of the film and he not only recruited the film director (Peter Yates ?) for the film Bullitt, but also wanted a car chase like in Robbery. Shame he didn't use a Class 40.

Cheers, Brian.

You might be right actually Brian, I'd forgotten about that signal box shot, will have to check it out.

Regarding the scene where the robbers interfere with the signal before stopping the mail train.... several posts back, Rangers mentioned that this sequence was filmed on the other side of Market Harborough, between Ashley and Rockingham, it would be nice to be able to confirm this but I'm not so sure. I have two reasons to be sceptical at this point, firstly the signal looks decidedly wobbly in the film, making me think it might have been a 'prop', knocked up to resemble a typical colour light of the period, and secondly, I can't find any evidence that there were ever any colour light signals on the line in the first place, I'm pretty sure it had semaphores right up until closure on Monday 6th June 1966. I suppose there's a possibilty it could have been a colour light distant, but given that the entire line was earmarked for closure in the Beeching report it's doubtful any money would have been spent on replacing semaphores. Of course, I'm happy to be proved wrong on the above points!

It was the car chase at the start of Robbery that impressed Steve McQueen enough to want Peter Yates to direct Bullitt. I'm sure D318 would have been available too...!

Nidge wink.gif

Guess I should have posted these a while back when I sent some of them to our man Pennine, anyway, here are some '60s shots, all taken along the Rugby - Markey Harborough section. I've included the ones that previously appeared on my flickr pages as the link from in an earlier post no longer seems to work... another batch to come shortly wink.gif

Nidge

post-7638-128256338926_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256348092_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256351735_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256408466_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256432519_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256436625_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256439639_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256526407_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256529864_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256568412_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256589545_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256599771_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256603299_thumb.jpg

post-7638-128256608461_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I hear on the local bush telegraph thet the footbridge at Seaton's days may be numbered. The structure is badly corroded and has been recently inspected by Rutland Council to assess it's condition and any danger to the public on the adjacent road. If they decree, it may have to be made sound or demolished.

I seem to remember there were ambitions of a preservation order on parts of the station building some years ago. I've no idea if that included the footbridge.

It is amazing that this has survived intact after more than 45 years in disuse.

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys for a very interesting thread and pictures. We have a local interest group in Market Harborough that is studying the Rugby to Mkt Harborough line and would welcome any extra info or pictures.

I'm personally very interested in Kilworth station and am researching the accident that occurred there in 1889 - if any of you were around then I'd be pleased to hear from you :lol:

Thanks guys for a very interesting thread and pictures. We have a local interest group in Market Harborough that is studying the Rugby to Mkt Harborough line and would welcome any extra info or pictures.

I'm personally very interested in Kilworth station and am researching the accident that occurred there in 1889 - if any of you were around then I'd be pleased to hear from you :lol:

Hi Kilworth and welcome to the forum ;)

My Great Uncle Harry (Aland) worked at Kilworth station, he wrote a bit about it in his book 'Country Station Life'. I'm sure all who've dipped into this thread would be interested in hearing what your local group have on the line too!

Edit : the reappearence of this thread has reminded me to post some photos I took whilst shunting down at Rugby's D.E.D. a couple of weeks ago.... we had to fetch out six wagons belonging to the HOBC, to do so meant drawing up almost to the end of what was once the Down Market Harborough line, on the arched bridge which crosses Butler's Leap.... anyway, here are a few shots taken that day, just beyond the stop block is the canal, and only a few yards beyond that is the site of Clifton Mill Station...

post-7638-0-63918100-1328817546_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-47531100-1328817630_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-70619700-1328817772_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-02419900-1328817893_thumb.jpg

Love it Nidge, amazing to think that Clifton Mill was wired at 25kV and Roarers used the triangle to cross over when locos were routinely swapped at Rugby.

EDIT: Just took a little Google stroll under that Bridge, and up the main road towards Clifton. Structure CMR 1 is freshly paint-marked, on its southern/ eastern parapet wall; Clifton Mill - Rugby 1 obviously, with 2 being the canal bridge (demolished) and 3 the impressive surviving viaduct across the golf course. Oh to have seen E3019 or its ilk crossing those arches, while awaiting the rasp of D5147 on the Harwich - Brum :angel:

Those loco swaps were seemingly endless Chard, according to those who saw it happen day in, day out. Our man 'Griff' started in Rugby PSB as a booking lad in '66 and tells me the view from the top floor of all that went on below was something rather special in those days. At really busy periods, locos would be sent round to Clifton in threes or fours, it must have been some sight when they crossed over the golf course! As a nipper I used to walk across the viaduct quite a bit until I got told off by some tweedy chap swinging a golf club at me.

Never mind the normal daily stuff though.... howz about seeing D318 pootling round the curve in the dead of night in March '67 after the line had been closed, on it's way to Theddingworth with the TPO stock for a filming session for 'Robbery'..... ;)

Hi Kilworth and welcome to the forum ;)

My Great Uncle Harry (Aland) worked at Kilworth station, he wrote a bit about it in his book 'Country Station Life'. I'm sure all who've dipped into this thread would be interested in hearing what your local group have on the line too!

Thanks for that book ref - I'll look up what Uncle Harry had to say -- Hopefully that will give some idea of what things were like in his time. It's in the early days of our investigations but we are fortunate in that some of the dozen or so people that have taken up this interest are locals and have memories of the line when it was still running or about to be closed. As time goes on we will collect more information and hopefully I shall be able to put together a small account of what we have found.

Having reviewed the official accident investigation report of the kilworth crash in 1889 (available for all to read at the National Railway Museum in York) I'm now going through Census records in an attempt to establish some background on the railwaymen involved (IE stationmaster, signalman and train crews). The inspector's report on the accident was inconclusive in establishing why the accident happened so I am interested to see if the railway company (LNWR) took any disciplinary actions.

One item of interest to modellers could be the double arch railway bridge in Lubenham village -- where the easternmost arch road level was made much lower in order to facilitate the passing of heavily laden agricultural carts. The roadway through this arch is currently out of use but the bridge itself is now listed and can't be demolished. Haven't yet worked out how to load a picture but will do so when I have.

post-14567-0-29977200-1329005786_thumb.jpg

Love it Nidge, amazing to think that Clifton Mill was wired at 25kV and Roarers used the triangle to cross over when locos were routinely swapped at Rugby.

EDIT: Just took a little Google stroll under that Bridge, and up the main road towards Clifton. Structure CMR 1 is freshly paint-marked, on its southern/ eastern parapet wall; Clifton Mill - Rugby 1 obviously, with 2 being the canal bridge (demolished) and 3 the impressive surviving viaduct across the golf course. Oh to have seen E3019 or its ilk crossing those arches, while awaiting the rasp of D5147 on the Harwich - Brum :angel:

Totally agree 'Chard.

Thanks Nidge for painting the latter day picture for us.

Seeing the pictures of the current stops near Clifton Mill has prompted me to post some pictures of this rather sad plan showing rationalisation of the eastern end of the line. This plan shows the line is still double track to Peterborough East. Yarwell Junction is abolished and the Oundle and King's Cliffe routes are two parallel single lines from Wansford to the site of Yarwell Junction.

What was at King's Cliffe? Was this section retained so that the ironstone empties could be run round at King's Cliffe then still use Naylor Benzon Mining Co siding in the traditional manner or was there some goods traffic to there? Note that new points were installed at this time. (shown in red)

The plan implies the line extended beyond King's Cliffe and the trouble has been taken to show a track slew etc. Why is there a stop board requiring authority to pass onto this extended neck? I suspect this may be to do with track lifting on the rest of the line.

Note also the change to up/down.

The school specials to Oundle would have required the points at Wansford to be clipped and scotched. Was there a local/box instruction to do this? The connections were a fair trek from the box though it was hardly busy by this time.

This is stage 1 of the rationalisation. I have later plans that i'll post if there is interest.

post-4034-0-91880000-1329173220_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-74352700-1329173285_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-74605400-1329173330_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Edit : the reappearence of this thread has reminded me to post some photos I took whilst shunting down at Rugby's D.E.D. a couple of weeks ago....

great pics, never got that far down the branch, only used to go just past the points to change end to go into the yard (with its very odd stop board set up!)

great pics, never got that far down the branch, only used to go just past the points to change end to go into the yard (with its very odd stop board set up!)

Cheers Jim. We only go down there once in a blue moon, just enough to keep it on our route cards. When I first jumped ship to join FLHH we fuelled our locos on the DED but of course the fuel point has since moved to Bardon Hill. Somewhere in my hard drive I've a few shots of one of our 66s inside the DED itself, quite a rare occurance.... I'll dig them out and post 'em. A couple of years ago I was doing a similar job down there one very frosty morning and nearly went through the stop block when the loco's wheels picked up.... and I can't swim!

LNERGE - Great to see those track diagrams.... please do post some more!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Can't believe I've only just discovered this thread. Brilliant pictures Rugd1022. I think the Class 40s were far more common than is widely thought on Peterborough - Rugby trains.

The RCTS Mystery Photos website has a few pages devoted to the line - some excellent shots of Seaton and other stations. Quite a few 40s as well . The pictures are by Peter Green and come from the Courtney Haydon collection.

A warning, if you are a  fan of East Midlands railways in the 60s and haven't found this colection before, be warned there are nearly 200 pages of pix (a lot from East Mids)  they are in railway terms  'x 'rated and you may need a couple of weeks and some tablets to calm you to get through them all ! Here is the link, just keep scrolling through the pages.

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/?page=150

Archived