Ruby Road. Somewhere in the Southwest.

ess1uk

• RMweb Premium

hopefully it will come along a bit more over the next few weeks as i'm at home :)

I'm thinking of getting a Peco LK-82 Goods Depot for one of the sidings.

any thoughts on this?

It has been some time since I last looked at this thread, so sorry for bringing up this post. The Peco/Merit/who ever else made it goods platform is a lovely model of the one at Potters Bar  when the station was rebuilt with the 1950s quadrupling of the GNR mainline. http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Liverpool%20Street&objid=1995-7233_LIVST_DF_228

• Thanks 1

It has been some time since I last looked at this thread, so sorry for bringing up this post. The Peco/Merit/who ever else made it goods platform is a lovely model of the one at Potters Bar  when the station was rebuilt with the 1950s quadrupling of the GNR mainline. http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Liverpool Street&objid=1995-7233_LIVST_DF_228

Cheers Clive.

I really want something more southern/western really.

After seeing the provender store at Liskeard I might go with something like that instead.

• Like 1

Ah well in my opinion research has serious value, so shall look forward to what follows.  :sungum:

I've been looking at Andover and Ludgershall for ideas but also keep coming back to Frome.

I will probably end up with none of the above but a very generic yard that could be anywhere in the southwest.

I'm also trying decide on yard lights or not and which type if I do.

Been busy at work again this week so have not been on RMweb much until today.

I would wait for the new Heljan 33....

As much as I'm not a fan of Heljan ,I am a fan of 33s..

Woodwork wise you thought about getting a kit ? Model railway solutions are one of a number providing baseboard kits, cos I can't cut wood straight at all

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would wait for the new Heljan 33....

As much as I'm not a fan of Heljan ,I am a fan of 33s..

Woodwork wise you thought about getting a kit ? Model railway solutions are one of a number providing baseboard kits, cos I can't cut wood straight at all

I'd like to remotor as it's cheaper, maybe get a new loco later.

I've been dropping hints about baseboards to my brother in law who is a carpenter/joiner, and Mrs Ess did promise me a baseboard for Xmas 2012 so I will end up with one somehow! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Count the number of planks, and then google  wagon/ number of planks....that usually pops something up. The picture is not quite in focus, but it looks good to me. Plus doing blue on blue is a clever idea. The yellow on mine showed through terrible at first. So your attempt started off way better than mine.

• Like 1

its going to be a 6foot by 1foot plank but maybe made into 2 sections to make it easier to carry.

just got to work out the final track plan so that i know exactly where the points are going to be and that they wont be on a join.

even if it means a 2foot board with a 4foot board it would still be easier to move around.

it will stand on tressles or the kitchen table until the garage is made less draughty

Any joy on a track plan yet?

• Funny 1

Count the number of planks, and then google  wagon/ number of planks....that usually pops something up. The picture is not quite in focus, but it looks good to me. Plus doing blue on blue is a clever idea. The yellow on mine showed through terrible at first. So your attempt started off way better than mine.

It's an 8 plank wagon for coal I guess as any pictures have coal merchants names on them.

Taking some photos of your work and posting here, could be relaxing too? ;)

Some of it is quite subtle where I've just corrected Hornby's livery and may not show too well on a picture.

try 8 plank MINERAL wagon

Brings up same pictures. Happy with how I have weathered it, and I've put some real coal in it now too, found a large lump next to the turntable at Scarborough last year that has been with me waiting to be smashed up for this reason :)
  • Like 1