Ruby Road. Somewhere in the Southwest.

ess1uk

That's true rodshaw

now you've said that and I've drawn it on a bit of paper I think I'll stick with what's in the photo.

Will still only be able to bring one loco in/ out but at least the fuel roads can be shunted at the same time.

had a bit of a go at weathering some wagons tonight sat outside on the deck in the sun.

put a bit of rust on some old wagons I messed about with before.

post-11924-0-88536300-1338145856.jpg

post-11924-0-82717800-1338145905.jpg

what do you think?

also had a go at some Hornby buffer stops

post-11924-0-91331400-1338145959.jpg

not happy with the buffer stops though

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

The funny thing is that as some of these wagons are easily 30 years old, the metal on them is a loverly orange shade of rust that I just can't match with paint!

Too tired tonight to have another go and it's a bit damp in the garden so will try again at the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Had another go at the wagons.

Tried rubbing some charcoal dust over the NCB one and it looks a bit better than it did.

The others look rubbish though, good job they don't cost much.

Which of the MSVs is the real thing?

post-11924-0-90853600-1339350326.jpg

post-11924-0-26298900-1339350369.jpg

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 3

I've also had a go at the wagons with a small file to give them a more battered look before I try any more paint.

Got the idea from the February Hornby magazine and it seems fairly convincing.

also added some red to the sole bars of the TTAs
IMG_3759.JPG

Hopefully you can take this as constructive (in the long run) but I'd honestly take time to clean those off and practise some techniques that are a little more subtle/prototypical. At present it looks like there's been a rather unfortunate explosion of something unfortunate. Unfortunately.

I know the livery's not pukka but have a look at some prototype shots - http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sukclassatta
  • Like 2

Hi Andy.

Yep I know they looked a mess before I started and to be honest can't figure out why matt paint has gone glossy so not that happy with the result either.

As a practice session goes, not the best I'll admit, but since most of the time they are being abused by my seven year old they will do for now.

Think the grey primer will be out at some point though.

Not painted anything for a whole heap of years so getting my mojo back.

Also there are a couple of missing buffers to replace anyway and ladders to add at some point.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

here's the latest go at the test wagons

post-11924-0-58043500-1341083294.jpg

The MSVs still need work, pictures show them almost black in use, so more paint needed.

I've also had a go at cleaning off the glossy paint from the TTAs ready for another go at weathering them

now need to work out how to weather wooden wagons.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

here's the latest go at the test wagons

post-11924-0-58043500-1341083294.jpg

I've also had a go at cleaning off the glossy paint from the TTAs ready for another go at weathering them

now need to work out how to weather wooden wagons

Hornby Magazine February 2012 supplement

• Like 1

Great work on the NCB wagon, but wouldn't the weathering be covered in coal dust as it is a coal wagon? Keep up the good work

Cheers Harry

The norstand and NCB coal wagons have a paint rust and then covered with a mix of charcoal dust and bbq ash as I didn't have any coal.I intend to make removeable loads for both using real coal though.

Tonight I have had a go at the generic Hornby huts and given them an oily black wood stain kind of look, at least I hope that's what it will dry like.

I will see how they look in the morning and decide if they need doing again.

• RMweb Premium

I think those 2 lineside huts may be Hornby Dublo ones, in which case it may be worth seeing what they might fetch on Ebay by putting similar ones on "Watch".

Keep practicing on the wagon weathering - I try and paint the couplings matt black after putting grot on the running gear - the matt black helps the couplings disappear.

• Like 1