Ruby Road. Somewhere in the Southwest.

ess1uk

• 2 weeks later...

view of where the fuel point is going

post-11924-0-12038600-1330882524.jpg

fuel point between the tanks and oil storage tanks to the left

view of the shed

post-11924-0-62936300-1330882554.jpg

can't decide on keeping the Hornby shed and adding guttering etc or swapping it for something more "modern"

got some office buildings to go here too

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

Is the Hornby class 50 the same as the Lima tooling or is it all new?

I only ask as I was wondering if a detail kit for the Hornby loco would work on the Lima?

The Hornby 50 is a totally new model and is a massive improvement on the old one, although still not perfect is a beautiful model!

The detailing parts from Hornby could be used on the Lima version but you'd need to drill the holes in the bufferbeam for the different pipes. The main differences you'd need to sort for Eagle would be to cover up the roof grille with a plain panel and fit a front end headlight. Any other differences between refurbished and unrefurbished are quite subtle and not really noticable from a distance.

If you decide in future to buy a Hornby 50 i'd think carefully- the couplings on them aren't brilliant for smaller radius curves and mine has been a bit of a problem. The Lima ones can be picked up for bargain prices, most have a good paint finish, work pretty well, look fairly good and will take some rough handling!!!

Signs look good btw!!!

• Like 2

cheers Ian

I have a couple of Craftsman Models headlamps in my bits box as i'm sure it should have them fitted if in large logo?

also the headcode box would have marker lights by this time so the Craftsman Models panels are being used and some Jackson Evans metal nameplates will make it look a whole lot better too.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just been looking at the excellent Exford Park and the Peco building Ian has made.

I'm now convinced that this is what I will use next to my shed after thinking of the scenecraft office for a while.

As there was one lying around at Dad's i bought a few years ago from Model and Craft for £4.68, this has saved me a trip to Trains4U and a few quid to spend on the fuel point. :)

Watch this space for building taking shape.

Been a few years since i built a card kit!

Unfortunately the other kit was found to be half finished/half missing and typical it is the hut that i wanted that is missing!

post-11924-0-68564100-1332092680.jpg

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

bought a few years ago from Model and Craft for £4.68

You certainly saved a bit, it cost me £13.40! :O

Mine is plastic though not card.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 1

Looking at my Lima 50 and thinking I need to sort the front end out.

post-11924-0-96380400-1327678061_thumb.jpg

The multiple working gear and ETH needs painting orange, but what shade should it be? Personally I use Humbrol orange. It looks fine to me. You can see some examples of the ETH thingys I've painted on my 37s and HST on my Bath Road topic.

Also, when did 50s get a large head lamp? After refurbishment, although a few were released without it. However, if you're modelling 1987 they'd all have recieved it by then.

sure it should have one fitted if in large logo? See above.

also the headcode box would have marker lights by this time? Correct.

any ideas? The old Lima 50 needs quite a bit of work to make it aceptable. I've seen some which have been very nicely done. There once was a detailing kit by Craftsman or somebody, I don't know if it's still avavilable, but I'd immagine Howes of Oxford may have them if they're still in production. Consider that the all the sand boxes need filling and the alcove in the roof needs plating over too - after which you'll probably have no choice but to opt for a full repaint. The bogies are underscale too. You could easily exchange them with Lima Class 37 bogies. It's been many many moons since I've set eyes on a Lima 50 so there are probably other things which will need attention which I've forgotten about. I'd also suggest painting the tail lights red and if you really want to make a big diffrence cut of the front coupling and add the various hoses/pipes to the bufferbeam.

post-11924-0-83815000-1327678099_thumb.jpg

I also like the idea of a new roof fan so having never attempted this before is it easy to do with limited modelling skills? I'd advise against this. I had a go at replacing the roof fan on a Class 50 when I was a young lad with little modelling experiance and made a right c*** up of it.

both my class 33s are second hand and i have done nothing to them yet, they are as i got them.

i do intend to get them sorted, there was an article in issue 49 of Hornby magazine for a £20 project to do them.

i will as i like a roof fan you can see through.

Do you know, looking at the photos I was convinced one of them was a Heljan one!

So are you going to have a branch line coming off the main layout that will lead to the TMD area? I'm looking forward to seeing this progress :)

Edited by vac_basher
  • Like 1

Thanks Vac_basher.

The ultimate plan for the layout would be to have the track where the shed is on the trakmat go off to another board that could also act as a stand alone layout for grown up use without having to setup the bigger trainset if not in the mood.

Time at home being in short supply means I've not even managed to glue the trakmat to a board yet let alone fix any track down long term.

Just playing around with various ideas in my head in between work.

Hope to have a track plan soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Deeping show (after a good chat with Neil and a proper look at Deeping Lane Depot) with a couple of items.

Mainline BSK coach in blue and grey as M34571

MSV wagon to add to the collection (a few more needed)

12T Brake van

Hornby power controller so the second loop can be used independently at last which should hopefully stop some moaning :)

And then via Trains4U for a look and got Scenecraft TMD workers!

post-11924-0-18065800-1334503962.jpg

Not bad for an afternoon's work :)

Now just need to weather the wagons

post-11924-0-88742000-1334476499.jpg

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Messing about with track plans for the depot.

I need to be able to stable 6 locos but can't work out the best way to do it.

I want to be able to bring in a fuel train and shunt into a siding for a fuel point.

I will try and post the plan for comments.

Trial track plan

post-11924-0-29714600-1335254190.jpg

entry to depot from right

Plenty of room for locos with four on the shed roads and a couple on fuel point is the plan.

Now to get a couple more points.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Stamford yesterday for a quick look around the Market Deeping Model Railway Club Exhibition.

I managed to resist temptation and walked out with only a slightly damaged ZRA in grey and yellow Civilink livery.

post-11924-0-29065800-1336319012.jpg

It needs a coupling at one end and there is a buffer missing at each end.

So my question is, what should I use to replace the buffers?

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

Change of plan.

I've been thinking and I've decided that if I use two 3 way points on the depot it will take up less room than the 4 points I was thinking of to begin with, thus hopefully leaving more room to park rolling stock.

That's the idea anyway, now just got to find time to get to the shop when it is open to buy them.

Good job the other points didn't cost me anything and they can be used elsewhere.

Edited by ess1uk

• 2 weeks later...

OK.

I've been having a try of the track plan to work out how much room it will take.

Allowing for the 2 shed roads to take 2 locos each and the fuel area to take either 3 TTAs or a loco I reckon that i can fit what i want onto a 2m by 30cm board.

I've laid the track out roughly on the kitchen table to get an idea, what do you think?

post-11924-0-36018500-1337425457.jpg

post-11924-0-39145800-1337425478.jpg

post-11924-0-08905400-1337425548.jpg

post-11924-0-17591000-1337425568.jpg

post-11924-0-24041100-1337425584.jpg

47378, 50043 and 56 try the depot for size.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 1