Model Rail Scotland 2012 24th - 26th February

Stewart

not going this year many companys have drop out due to high cost, and now in two halls that dont connect,i think the show has gone down hill the last two years, its a shame

I am sure we will all miss you when we are having a goodtime as we always do.

Andy you can try the new delicacy deep fried butter in different flavours sonds very interesting! Looking forward to seeing New Hay again and finding out how your new layout is coming on,see you Friday.

A heart attack guaranteed just by even reading that ! I thought the deep fried mars bar was an urban myth until I went in the chippy just down the alleyway past Nevis Sports in Fort William.

Looking forward to the shoe very much - judt sbout to start wheel cleaning on the stock in preparation - a long job. Its not all about just turning up on the day and playing trains, a lot of prep work goes on - this may also include vacuuming off mouse droppings off the layout - I noticed on Sunday that we have had fied mice in the garage again! I dont want the dubious subriquet at Glasgow of being the layout where a freight was derailed when it ran into a mouse turd ;-)

A heart attack guaranteed just by even reading that ! I thought the deep fried mars bar was an urban myth until I went in the chippy just down the alleyway past Nevis Sports in Fort William.

Just a mars bar!!!!! Light weights the lot of you!!! Thats pudding after the fish supper.

Regards Arran

PS it actulay tasts very good.

• RMweb Gold

Could be the delightful Ben Fongs - eatery for many a climber just off Ben Nevis!

Could be the delightful Ben Fongs - eatery for many a climber just off Ben Nevis!

Thats the one! We were just off Aonach Mor (silly quest for Munro bagging) and needed solids before returning to the Clachaig to imbibe for the rest of the evening. I passed on the Mars bar though, yes Arran, a lightweight!

And no Ive no intention of having one in Glasgow. Unless of course alcohol persuades me otherwise. mmmmm kebab.

BOOK LAUNCHES AT THIS YEAR'S MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND

Making a welcome return to the forthcoming Model Rail Scotland Exhibition in Glasgow this year are Book Law Publications.

They will be launching several new books at the show which will include:

Steam Memories Aberdeen to Glasgow

by Michael Welch. A reprint of a Runpast book

A4 Portrait format, 128 pages. £17.95

post-7399-0-95419100-1329733982.jpg

Stanier Jubilees

Photographs by Beecroft, Dalton,Dunn, and Pirt.

210mm x 200mm, 72 pages w/pics. £9.99

post-7399-0-04940900-1329733747.jpg

Steam in South West Scotland

Photographs by various photographers. Compiled by John Hooper

210mm x 200mm, 72 pages w/pics. £9.99

post-7399-0-99415900-1329733870.jpg

All their other books, including Yeadon's Registers, Santona and Foxline will, of course, be available. Books from other publishers will also be on sale, including Wild Swan, Middleton, Oakwood, Ian Allan, Noodle, Kevin Robertson, etc.

Ian

I can quote one, whcih is Portchullin which is coming for a very long drive from Surrey!

It must be Surrey's year, as Harton Gill will also be coming from the Fortunate County, as Alan A Jackson called it in his book on the railways of Surrey.

Would you like to confide in your beer research. We're bound to make a visit or two to the counting house, but not sure where else to go at the moment. We're working on Borchester tomorrow, then hopefully packing it up on Tuesday night and we'll be on the motorway Wednesday night for a stopover in Stafford. If anyone is travelling up the M40 in the evening, we understand that the M40 to 42 northbound will be closed at 20:00. What the diversion is I don't know. Not exactly looking forward to the driving but looking forward to the weekend in Glasgow and the exhibition.

Would you like to confide in your beer research. We're bound to make a visit or two to the counting house, but not sure where else to go at the moment.

Ive a few "venues" in mind, one not least being the State Bar which is a couple of doors down a side street off Sauciehall street (i know it quite well from being the nearest decent boozer round the corner from our office on West Regent Street) and also just across from the Sauciehall St 'Spoons. Theres also another I know quite well in the vicintity of Glasgow central (directly up from but on a side street) The research Black and Decker Boy refers to is the downloading of the Good Beer guide onto my android!!

• RMweb Premium

Would you like to confide in your beer research. We're bound to make a visit or two to the counting house, but not sure where else to go at the moment. We're working on Borchester tomorrow, then hopefully packing it up on Tuesday night and we'll be on the motorway Wednesday night for a stopover in Stafford. If anyone is travelling up the M40 in the evening, we understand that the M40 to 42 northbound will be closed at 20:00. What the diversion is I don't know. Not exactly looking forward to the driving but looking forward to the weekend in Glasgow and the exhibition.

Do you have a pub in mind for your Stafford stop?

Might be able to point you in the the right direction.

Eltel

Well Glasgow and the West of Scotland is cold, bright and sunny this weekend - beautiful. Hope that lasts - not that we'll see much of it within the windowless shed that is the SECC.

Have a safe trip, especially those with long journeys to make. I look forward to meeting some of you over the course of next weekend.

Do you have a pub in mind for your Stafford stop?

Might be able to point you in the the right direction.

Eltel

Thanks Eltel, but we'll be putting in a days work before setting off. We're stopping off at the Premier Inn next to the M6, but will be lucky to be there before 10:30..

I would head to Scotia Bar for good beer and live muisc. Down by the Clyde south of the old St Enoch Station site. 112-114 Stockwell Street.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Eltel, but we'll be putting in a days work before setting off. We're stopping off at the Premier Inn next to the M6, but will be lucky to be there before 10:30..

You have two pubs next the Premier Lodge Hotels at J14 The Shire Horse & The Redhill The Shire Horse tends to the better ale

See you in Glasgow as I am a operator with both Crimson Rd & Bash St both Stafford club members layouts.

Terry

An easy diversion to take is M40 J15 then A46 east towarsd Coventry. It will drop you straight onto the M6 at junction 2. Its dual carriageway, well sign posted and runs parallel to the M42 so will not add much time. If it is only the actual M40/M42NB link road that is closed then you can simply take the M40 to M42 link west / south bound towards Bromsgrove, pick up the M5 northbound and join the M6 at Junction 8. Just beware of the average speed cameras in the M5 roadworks.

Ok, B&DB thanks for the detour routing. Also to Eltel, I'll see what time we get to Stafford.

As before, if anyone is interested in the history of Borchester Market and wants a closer look, just ask. Today was its final test and it behaved itself which is unusual considering how cold it was. No brittle solder joints this time, yet!

You're all talking about drinking.... What about eating.... Last year I managed to organise a table for about 20 of us at the India Quay restaurant (indian) which is just 2 mins walk from the hotel, next to the 'Squinty Brig' (Weggie slang). A great time was had by all and even a certain Mr Jackson enjoyed it. Expensive, yes but everyone said it was the best they'd had in years, we were all well stuffed I can tell you. Some others from the exhibition said the waiters apologised for the rowdy crowd downstairs, they're from that 'train show' you know!!!!!!

I've being doing this show for over 40 years and seen it all but I'm still looking forward to seeing New Hey again....

Anyway, hope to meet up with the usual old friends and maybe new ones, I'm 'demonsterating' again this year (CSBs and buffer fitting) as well as helping Jamie to man the EMGS stand. See you there.

Dave Franks

You're all talking about drinking.... What about eating.... Last year I managed to organise a table for about 20 of us at the India Quay restaurant (indian) which is just 2 mins walk from the hotel, next to the 'Squinty Brig' (Weggie slang). A great time was had by all and even a certain Mr Jackson enjoyed it.

Good grief man eating's an occupational hazard - although there is a plot for an Indian between the residents of New Hey and Portchulin on the Friday evening! Mind you if it is recommended by Mr J then it would be rude to refuse to visit.

I've being doing this show for over 40 years and seen it all but I'm still looking forward to seeing New Hey again....

Dave Franks

Well I made an advance recce this morning as far as the border,(Carlisle for a team meeting) all was OK so i see no reason not to proceed beyond Gretna on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing you again Dave, but if you hang around tooo long you just may find one of the controllers in your hand - and that goes for any of the visiting "Usual Suspects" as well :sungum:

Archived