Model Rail Scotland 2012 24th - 26th February

Stewart

Hi,

Had a great day at Glasgow Model Rail on Friday on my club's layout 'Rosebank Junction' - my thanks to all those that helped me out of the odd scrape or two! Highlight for me was seeing 'Portchullin' in the flesh- but then I might be accused of being a bit biased!. Going back on Sunday for another dose! Despite the walk between the 2 halls - great show!

Bill.

Not a bad show this year, better than the last time i was there,Portchullin was superb,caught the west highlands spot on

but best layout for me was Menasha(but then i'm a bit biased towards the darkside) had a good walk round the show looking at ALL the layouts, and parting with some of my money with a couple of traders.

you never know i might even come back next year!!

Ray

from deepest west cumbria

A much better show this year. Plenty of room to move. The layouts looked fantastic even although managed to see them briefly as I had the kids today, 2 & 5, so not much patience.

Managed to get 03179 `Clive` from the Bachmann stand even although I`m not in the collectors club!

Seemed to be a few unhappy traders, complaining about the price of the hall and how they won't be back, though.

That would be a pity considering the improvements that have been made.

Guest jim s-w

Which is one reason I've decided not to go.

DT

Gobsmacked TBH. A good model is a good model regardless of the scale or prototype. I am always amazed people are so blinkered!

Jim

Guest 40-something

Gobsmacked TBH. A good model is a good model regardless of the scale or prototype. I am always amazed people are so blinkered!

Jim

Well said Jim

There were a few really really good layouts there, particularly Harton Gill and Pempoul. Im a 60/70's 4mm/00 modeller, with a hint of 21st century N thrown in to spice things up, but I enjoy looking at layouts of all scales, eras, areas and countries. Just because a nice bit of modelling in done in 7mm, for instance, doesnt mean I wont be inspired.

I find exhibitions broaden my modelling horizons

Guest Max Stafford

Pempoul is indeed a beautiful layout, Joe. I spent most of the day in hall 3, sorry I missed you. Chollerford was another lovely wee layout. Gamston Bank wasn't so wee and it was good to see Newcastleton's debut. I can see some nice development potential in this layout! Calderfield was also nice and the small, but beautiful Dunwoody was another favourite!

Dave.

400 miles completed courtesy of TPE & Mr Branson's train set, the show definitely made up for a numb bum!

This was my first outing to Scotland for over 15 years (I was in the Army in Kinross)

The star of the show for me was Gamston Bank, although there were some close contenders

I will be back next year, but will stay over

Enjoying the show if not really seeing much of it... haven't made it through to Hall 5 yet. Pempoul is almost a default winner for its delicacy of detail, but there's much of delight throughout the big hall.

New Sou'West book looks good (per Galtee More's earlier post) from first glance.

Another day as one friendly local face of the EMGS tomorrow. Good to see a few of you from the forum today.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I hope Choates Lane is OK. Glasgow is an awfully long way to go when towing a trailer!

Geoff Endacott

Hi Geoff

They were all ok today when I had a chat, except that the exhibition guide said UK stock all though they had been asked for European stock.

Sorted out the barriers for your exhibition .

All the best

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

By your reckoning, therefore, good music is always good music regardless of the type, so I'd be blinkered if, as a rock music fan, I decided not to go to a concert of modern classical music. Or if I decided not to visit an exhibition of symbolic modern art because, although i like some art, that type leaves me cold. I have been on this earth long enopugh to have found out what i like a lot and what I don't like as much or at all.

Thus with models. Just because something is a good model doesn't mean I want to spend time and money going to see it, any more than i'd want to spend time and money going to a concert of modern classical music. In the past, some Glasgow shows have left me very disappointed, but that's maybe because I much prefer making models, however inefficiently, to playing with them, and for me a good show is one which perhaps caters more for my own specific interests. Glasgow, and indeed most general model railway shows, don't do that, whileas more specific shows, eg those run by the EMGS or Scalefour Soc, do. And over the years I've found that some scales/gauges appeal to me much more than others - thus I like finescale 4mm, whether 00, EM or P4, and "S" is just superb. But the rest, while not leaving me cold, certainly don't warm me up much.

And so I'm rather reluctant to go to a show that involves me in a round trip of 190 miles and having to subject myself to the horrors of Scotrail's Friday evening service out of Glasgow when the publicity for that show omits some information that I personally find important. If you want to call that blinkered, then so be it - but do remember to apply the same sobriquet to your rock music fan who won't go to classical concerts, or your ship modeller who won't go to the model aircraft show.

DT

• RMweb Premium

Great to hear the Gamston was there and running. That layout lives just across the road from the actual location!! I am also within a gnat's whisker of both the layout and the location. Thanks for posting pics; lovely layouts by the look of things.

P @ 36E

By your reckoning, therefore, good music is always good music regardless of the type, so I'd be blinkered if, as a rock music fan, I decided not to go to a concert of modern classical music. Or if I decided not to visit an exhibition of symbolic modern art because, although i like some art, that type leaves me cold. I have been on this earth long enopugh to have found out what i like a lot and what I don't like as much or at all.

DT

Interesting response, however if you want to stick your head above the parapet with worthless posts about I am not going because there is nothing for me, expect to get it it shot at when this forum has 14000 members.

I visit many exhibitions and also like you do not visit some as the layout or gauge does not appeal to me, but what is the point in posting that on here, who cares?

I have visited here for the past 6 years both as an exhibitor and visitor and travelling from Northants is not just down the road.

I have been here for six years running and travelling from Northampton is not just a trip down the road for me.

Just gutted I couldn't make it, although as other webbers have chided me - I was there in spirit! Really fancied a quick raid but the unseasonal weather has brought with it some unforeseen opportunities to get on top of things, and the RoH* have made that very clear.

Keep the photo commentary coming, it all looks very tasty. If anyone has any Newcastleton footage I'd be externally grateful.

* Rest of Household

NB: punk is my rock, but still takes inspiration from folk, spoken-word, even Dolly Parton, and that's kinda the way I take my modelling (distance notwithstanding)

Guest jim s-w

If you want to call that blinkered, then so be it - but do remember to apply the same sobriquet to your rock music fan who won't go to classical concerts, or your ship modeller who won't go to the model aircraft show.

I see your point (although the distance is perhaps more relevant than whats there at the end of the day)

The difference is most of us create models and are not just fans. Apply that logic to rock music and you will find that rock musicians draw inspiration from all sorts of different genres and artists. Any musician who simply clones the genre they are in doesn't get all that far TBH.

It's not just yourself though, the same attitude is prevalent amongst many modellers even to the point of people only going to a show if they can see exactly what they have at home which to me is just bizarre. You are right that modellers of railways often don't look at other disciplins but they really should.

Cheers

Jim

Guest Natalie Graham

As a modeller of pre-grouping railways in 2mm FS I would be a bit limited in the shows of specific interest to me too. However, I can see Torper's point with specific regard to the Glasgow show. It has always seemed to me that the weak point to this show is that it is run by an association of clubs all of whom get to exhibit the club's layout. This has resulted at times in the show tending towards having a preponderance of very similar round and round 00 layouts running proprietary locos and stock. Unless you know that this is not the case it can be a deterrent to traveling long distances, if this type of layout is not your thing.

My friend Arthur Pilbeam models Mongolian Railways in 1:57 scale. He doesn't visit shows which don't feature his particular modelling interests.

He doesn't get out very often...

Geoff Endacott

I've been modelling 12" to the cm narrow gauge Martian monorails for years but never had an exhibition invite.

Perhaps it's time to change scale or maybe it's the one rail thing?

Dave

• RMweb Gold

A visit to the Glasgow show has been a regular event for members of the Blackburn & East Lancs MRS for several years now.

We always travel up (and back) on the Friday and have experienced a few incidents over the years, including falling trees bringing down the overhead cables, and being stranded in Penrith immediately after the Grayrigg accident.

This year we excelled with thirteen members travelling together on the 08:15 from Preston being joined at the show by two who had been delayed at Chorley by "over-running" engineering works, two more who drove up to meet with family and one member who was working in the Cairngorms and called at the show on route home.

That's a total of 18 from one club. How many for 2013?

Hopefully some will make the return journey to our show in September :)

See http://www.belmrs.org/

Steve.

Archived