RMweb

Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys for the comments.

It was good to talk with do much, any on here. Makes it all the more enjoyable.

We had a really great weekend and the layoit worked well.

We loaded and away from Burton town hall in 35 minutes and now just South of Birmingham. Just hoping tbe tennis final keeps going on to keep people in front of the TV rather than on the roads!!

Will post some photos shortly.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A few photos taken this afternoon.

70006 heads a Freightliner service to Southampton Docks

The tow 70's performed very well over the weekend pulling the longest trains with the added weight.

post-1557-0-01294500-1373217051_thumb.jpg

A fairly busy scene with the structure gauging train in the sidings

post-1557-0-39936200-1373217331_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-06219500-1373217451_thumb.jpgpost-1557-0-64406300-1373217541_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jamie

A couple of photos taken with another camera yesterday

.post-1557-0-66855000-1373227407_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-30609100-1373227456_thumb.jpg

They are a little blurred as I was trying to take these whilst the trains were moving.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

good to see this layout again (one day i may get a chance to just stand and watch trains go by properly for a while) looking great as ever Ian.

Thanks. I know ow the feeling as I don't seem to get enough time to watch Warren Lane despite the number of shows that we have both been at.

Banbury will next be at Midland RAILEX. I have a big list of tasks to do.

The main task is to convert the rest of the stock over to the Dapol Easy mate couplings as they are now proving to be extremely reliable. The only issue we had this time was when pulling the inspection saloon by itself and a loco over the newly installed magnet it would uncoupled but a bit of foam on one axle will hopefully rectify this.

A set of Adams Electra Graphics new Chiltern Mainline plug door vinyls and Farish mk3's are now awaiting attention.

A Farish 150 and PH Designs etched conversion kit will hopefully be started this week to produce the Network Rail 150.

Another set of autoballasters need the Rail track markings painted out.

Further weathering of wagons.

Another stock box.

And finally but not least the adding of more details to the layout itself.

Should keep me busy!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

post-9664-0-04083600-1373284700.jpg

Ian, thank you again to you and your team for your kindness to my little lad. You were struggling for wifi at Aylesbury, so I'd not seen the iPod controllers - very impressed. I think we might have to bite the bullet and actully do this whole DCC malarkey!

Apparently our layout is going to be just like yours, Thomas Ivor tells me. I'm not sure how I am going to keep pace!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tom.

Superb shot with him looking very intently at the layout with PhatBob  at the throttle.

Glad he enjoyed Mikes guidance.

Yes that was odd with the wifi not working at Railex. We have done many shows with this system and thats the only one where it wouldnt work. We even saw Hornbys wifi signal at DEMU but no interference from them (hope we didn't give them any issues )..

Ian

He had a cracking time, thank you. He has confused lots of people since the first time he saw the layout (at Ally Pally, I think?) with his repeated references to Banbury, a place with which he has no connection at all!

Come on then, hit me with it - what do I need to buy to drive our trains with my iPhone like that?! (other than a second mortgage!)

Edited by Tom J
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He had a cracking time, thank you. He has confused lots of people since the first time he saw the layout (at Ally Pally, I think?) with his repeated references to Banbury, a place with which he has no connection at all!

Come on then, hit me with it - what do I need to buy to drive our trains with my iPhone like that?! (other than a second mortgage!)

I will PM you a diagramatic info sheet  when I get home.

The basics are as follows.

-ipod or Android smartphone - install Wi -Throttle (ipod iphone ipad)  or install Engine Driver (Android phone or tablet)

-DCC command  / base station (we use Digitrax Chief but other DIgitrax ones also fine).

-Interface between DCC command / base station and laptop / PC (we use a Locobuffer-USB device  Approx £55.00 but there are others)

-A wireless router - can be an old one that may have been upgraded by your Internet service provider

-Laptop / PC with Windows XP - Windows 8 versions (Will also work on Linux and Mac but no experience of these - can also be made to work on an Raspberry Pi)

-Download and install JMRI on laptop / PC - its free but they are more than happy for a donation.

Do check out JMRI's website for compatible hardware / DCC system as not all will work with this software.

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/hardware/index.shtml

I think I have covered the basics but any more questions then please fire away.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Will you be exhibiting Banbury at this years Warley exhibition?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy

No but we have had an invite for 2014.

The next two shows with the layout  are as follows:

Midland Railex in August 2013

Banbury show (Sunday only show) September 2013

There are others later in the year including High Wycombe.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

just to be clear are you saying any Apple remote device but the PC must  be a Microsoft O/S device?

Best, Pete.

Pete

No,

You can use Linux and Macs to run the JMRI software but I haven't tried these so do not know which versions although the JMRI site will advise more accurately.

You can use iphones and ipods (think 3rd gen onwards) but check by installing the Wi Throttle Lite app first as thats free . You will need the paid for version to properly use the system efficiently.

Jeremy

No but we have had an invite for 2014.

The next two shows with the layout  are as follows:

Midland Railex in August 2013

Banbury show (Sunday only show) September 2013

There are others later in the year including High Wycombe.

Ian

I may well come up to High Wycombe! Let me know the date as I'd really like to see Banbury in the flesh!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

I may well come up to High Wycombe! Let me know the date as I'd really like to see Banbury in the flesh!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jermey

High Wycombe is on Saturday 2nd November 2013.

Just noticed your location.

We are also doing the Seaford show the weekend beforehand. but dont miss out the High Wycombe show either as its very good and has a brilliant new venue.

Ian

Ian

good to meet you on Saturday must say the layout is as good in the flesh as it looks in the phots amazing amount of detail given the scale.

If the plans are not the to the correct sixe let me know I can always print them at any size and post them off.

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Good to meet you and glad that you liked the layout. Still plenty more details to add.

These people that keep sending me info keep adding to my lists to do.. but I am enjoying it so don't stop sending them :stinker:

Thanks for the plans. I had a brief look last night when we had unloaded the layout and they are superb. Will have a much closer look over the next few nights.

Thanks again

Ian