Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks david

Could well be that those at the show didnt know.

Yes I would certainly like to see one sooner than later. No doubt they will come out just as I finish modifying the signal or if I wait it might be next year!!!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A package from Liverpool arrived yesterday.

In side it were four Oxford Didcot Network Rail Ford Transit vans and an Eddie Stoddart truck.

The vans have the side window printed on rather than being glazed but from normal viewing distances this won't be very noticeable. The one thing missing are wing mirrors so I may come up with a method to add these although again these won't be noticeable where most of these will be placed on the layout.

I have wanted a Stobbart truck for while but not seen any on traders stands at shows so ordering it with other items this time was more worthwhile.

The photo shows the truck and one of the vans after spraying with Dullcote. The printed side window on the van has since been gloss varnished.

A second van can be seen masked up ready for spraying.

post-1557-0-11435900-1397110201_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I see yours arrived:-)

Stephen

Yes, thanks to your post  on your layout topic that I found out about them.

it will be interesting to see if htey use the same body for the Royal Mail ones or the lower roof version. Still doing osme research but so far what I have found is that the Royal Mail tend ot use other types of van although I have seen photos of the lower rood van. I need loads of Royal Mail vans for the front of the layout!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

They do have Transits with unglazed sides, one of my neighbour's is driving one at the moment. 

Graham.

Thanks.

I will have to do one of those . I did find a maroon colour transit with a Network Rail sticker on each side, so another  bit of variety .

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Might well be ex Jarvis. cant find the link to the photo now!.

Anyway, it looks like we have cleared hattons out of these vehicvles now as none shown on their website.

I still have two more to mask up and matt varnish but they will have to wait till next week now.

Work will resume on the layout in the not too distant future for its next outing in August.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Ha - and I saw it on this thread and just ordered a couple too!

While I'm not necessarily against the painted window, does anyone know whether network rail have any transits with unglazed sides?

Cheers

Ben A.

Hattons are showing "Ford Transit LWB High in white" as a pre-order. Possibly a plain, unglazed panel van.

The Oxford model is the 2006-style cab, which makes it just about okay for me. I'll probably get one or two, but what I really want is the 1986-2000 and (especially) 2000-2006 style.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Looking on the Oxford Diecast website the plain white van has a photo but the Royal Mail ones don't yet, so would guess that the white one will be out next.

Banbury is going to have a rather a lot of Ford Transit vans!

Let's hope more modern N scale vehicles will be released in the near future

Ian

Looking on the Oxford Diecast website the plain white van has a photo but the Royal Mail ones don't yet, so would guess that the white one will be out next.

Banbury is going to have a rather a lot of Ford Transit vans!

Let's hope more modern N scale vehicles will be released in the near future

Ian

Mind you, it also says that the Network Rail version is "not released", so either yours are knocked-off or they don't update their website often enough!

The panel van looks really nice. I'm definitely having a couple of those.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Hattons knocked off a job lot of them!!!

I did manage get an N scale loco this morning at Trainwest. A hard to find powered Dapol class 67006 at a very reasonable price. The nameplates haven't been touched so need to add these. It does now have a Digitrax 6 pin decoder inside it.

The loco runs very smoothly.

post-1557-0-71293500-1397305522_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Apologies for hijacking the thread but it seemed appropriate...

I received my Network Rail van having been alerted by Ian's post the other day and must admit I am a little perplexed as to why they've painted the side window grey when the van's body is moulded in clear plastic.  Wouldn't it have been easier just to leave it clear?   Or is there some other explanation?   Any thoughts anyone?

Nevertheless it's a lovely model and will look even better with some matt varnish and a little weathering.

cheers

Ben

• RMweb Gold

Ben

No problem as all relevant.

I never even thought to look if it was a clear plastic so yes a bit bizarre that they didn't just leave it as a clear window.

As you say, it won't be too noticeable in N scale and I have gloss varnished the printed on side window after Matt varnish spray.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• 2 weeks later...

Ian,

You may need a few more post office transit vans, took this picture for you a couple of weeks back from the top of the lift core on the new car park, mighty high up there.

Once the scaffold is down you wont be able to get his view again.

post-19340-0-83328000-1398246285_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Ian,

Nice to keep up with your updates, I'm not sure how the layout keeps getting better given the standard it was at last time I saw it at showcase! Those new vehicles look good in 2mm. I presume they printed the window as a result of scaling down the 4mm release which had a metal body. I detailed the 4mm based on a can parked in the yard in Dumfries which had the black vents on the roof, Ariel rear light above the doors and a step board below the back doors which helped finish off the detail. Quite a few also have brackets with ladders stowed along the roof line on the drivers side that I've seen being driven about depending how far you go with the detailing.

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark

Funnily enough I noticed the ladders and brackets on a number of these vehicles only last week so will be adding that to some of them.

As Ben a few posts back mentioned, it appears that these N scale versions have a clear plastic body and as the rest of the windows are printed black surrounds it does seem odd that they didn't just do the same with the side windows. They are bringing out a standard plain white van man version so it may just be the ease of painting the body for all versions.

I will also look at adding wing mirrors and vents as time permits.

In the next few weeks a I will have to iunbox the layout - might be a few cobwebs to remove since its last outing at the beginning of March!!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

We had a change of trains at Banbury today.

Apart from the car park construction. Now that I have only recently fitted those ex NSE red seats, well they have now gone with more modern ones.

So even more changes to what I have modelled. I think that I will have to rename the layout to 'Banbury 2011'

• Like 1

Keeping a model railway up to date will always be a challenge.

I am amazed that Royal Mail have not already come up with a trendy new corporate image, for example. Chiltern might get a new franchise holder in 2022. New trains, new liveries on old trains, new road vehicles all keep up the pressure!

Sticking to a particular date that you already have good information about seems a very sound idea to me.