Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gary

Thats my original cutting mat so yes it had a lot of action on it - about 5 layouts worth of building and associated stock.

It is fiddly painting these little lights even under an illuminated magnifier but its going to be worth it.

As of this morning I have completed about 20 of them ready to fit tonight. The rest will follow in the next week or so.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Not being on a sprue made them a little trickier to clean but painting was just as easy individually and also meant that there was no risk of breaking them cutting them off a sprue so didnt make any real difference. It possibly has been slightly easier individually when painting the thin black areas as I could just rotate them in my fingers ot a suitable angle.

I would like to light them up by drilling right through the boards but for now they will not be illuminated. I will glue them in with canopy glue rather then superglue so that I can always remove them later.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I kept looking at the newly installed carriage siding lights as something just didn't seem right.

Turns out that The spacing was too close, so checking Longs plans a few posts back I had incorrectly set them just over 20mm apart when they should be about 32mm apart.

Luckily, I hadn't installed too many of lights, so this afternoon I relocated some of them before continuing the installation further along this board.

There are now just over 20 in place with a similar number to do on the next board.

Next outing for the layout is Abingdon in a couple of weeks time.

post-1557-0-49526700-1392580759_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I kept looking at the newly installed carriage siding lights as something just didn't seem right.

Turns out that The spacing was too close, so checking Longs plans a few posts back I had incorrectly set them just over 20mm apart when they should be about 32mm apart.

Luckily, I hadn't installed too many of lights, so this afternoon I relocated some of them before continuing the installation further along this board.

There are now just over 20 in place with a similar number to do on the next board.

Next outing for the layout is Abingdon in a couple of weeks time.

looking good there mate. another great addition to a great layout

• RMweb Gold

I love the detailing of this layout Ian. Those lamps look great and bring even more realism to the layout. Superb!

Thanks.

They really do start to fill in some fairly bland areas. Its just a shame that you cant really see all the detail on these little 3D prints as the lamps face towards the operator and you really need a magnifier to see the lamp, wiring box etc. - its the only way I could see them to paint them!!

There are also the surface mounted low level lights on the black  / yellow walkway further along but I can make them out of microstrip and rod as there is not too many of them.

Yesterday I also fitted one of the new Digitrax DZ126 decoders into a Colas 66. Not had chance to test the performance on these sightly narrower decoders compared to a DZ125.

The Shanks 66 which had failed blowing the circuit board and decoder has now had the circuit board removed and the decoder hard wired to the motor..

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the Farish LED light boards so that I can hard wire these directly to the decoder?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

An even littler decoder?! Are these generally available yet- they don't appear to be on Digitrain's website yet. Oh, and yes please- second dabs on the wiring diagram!

I hadn't heard about these being released but when I saw them on Coastal DCC's stand I had 2 of them. They did have a few left at the time.

They are narrower but still about the same depth and length as a DZ125.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stephen. Further photos to follow as I install more of these lights.

This morning I noticed that one was not vertical so tried to adjust it but it snapped so the remainder was removed, hole redrilled and a new one inserted. Will have to be more careful!

A truck purchased second hand last year has now been sprayed with Dullcote to get rid of the high gloss. It looks much better now but does need a driver added.

His along with another truck will not be permanently fixed down so that we can vary their locations each time the layout is set up. We will have to watch out for little e fingers though. It's amazing how many times the other vehicles have been touched but luckily they are pinned and glued into place.

post-1557-0-61089000-1392712083_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-98606600-1392712098_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I have completed installing the 3D printed walkway lights. There are about 40 of them. The remainder of the 60 printed are also painted in case any get broken.

More static grass can now be installed next to the walkways hooefully one evrning before next weekends outing to Abingdon.

post-1557-0-15461800-1393183516_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-48715600-1393183541_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-74446300-1393183557_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The latest task in hand is to try and build the platform seats. These are the old Network South East red ones with the tiny slits in the seats. In N scale these slits can't be seen. So far I have tried using very thin brass sheet bent to shape but with the sheet measuring only 12mm by 8mm this hasn't been achievable so far.

My next option is to make them out of paper and use the paint yo make them stiffer and add the brass rod for the frame and legs later.

We shall see if this method works.

Last night I started making the sky lights that are on the canopy at the South end of platforms one and two. These are profiled out of styrene and each one consists of three pieces, the dome, the frame and the upstanding that the roof felt is dressed onto.

The photo shows three out of the nine required temporarily placed into location prior to painting.

post-1557-0-81190000-1393228199_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian,

I'd previously considered how to replicate the distinctive NSE seats in N for another project that never came to fruition. It depends how structurally strong you need them to be (i.e. how likely are they to get "knocked" accidentally!) but my plan was to create a wooden former then to shape strips of thin plasticard sheet over it with hot water. Fine wire or styrene rod would be similarly shaped for the outer edges, then fixed on.

I did worry about the slits - I wasn't sure if they'd look horribly over scale if represented, or would look worse by being absent as the eye "expected" them to be there - and had toyed with replacing the plasticard with suitably formed fine brass etch, or alternatively with printing out self adhesive labels computer printed red with a representation of the slits that would be stuck onto the styrene seats that would have been pre-painted with red car paint from a rattle-can.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

The .33 wire is very fragile so they will be inherently very delicate. Luckily where I need to put them they should be out of touch in most circumstances.

I was having the same dilemma regarding the slits but after looking at these seats from a distance, you cant see the slits.

I am considering doing a decal with thin black lines on them and being home one, the black will not be to heavy when put on the red seat.

I will have another go this week once I get the roof lights completed.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hello Ian,

I'd previously considered how to replicate the distinctive NSE seats in N for another project that never came to fruition. It depends how structurally strong you need them to be (i.e. how likely are they to get "knocked" accidentally!) but my plan was to create a wooden former then to shape strips of thin plasticard sheet over it with hot water. Fine wire or styrene rod would be similarly shaped for the outer edges, then fixed on.

I did worry about the slits - I wasn't sure if they'd look horribly over scale if represented, or would look worse by being absent as the eye "expected" them to be there - and had toyed with replacing the plasticard with suitably formed fine brass etch, or alternatively with printing out self adhesive labels computer printed red with a representation of the slits that would be stuck onto the styrene seats that would have been pre-painted with red car paint from a rattle-can.

Cheers

Ben A.

dunno if this might help whether it would not be finescale enough but if made out of plasticard or shaped metal once painted couldnt the surface be very lightly scored using fine scalpel blade to create the impression of the slits