Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Well do not forget the go faster stripes on the side of the Astra where the missus swung her car around as she reversed off our drive when she was to close to my car. Bit of an unlucky car. A woman pulled out of the front of the station a couple of years ago just when I was driving into work and drove straight into the side of it. Been plauged by ambulance chasers ever since trying to get me to put in a claim for personal injuries. Pointed out that I would be lying and fraudulent if I did to be told that the women had claimed straight away. This despite her first comment being that she never felt any impact! Honesty never pays! Could explain why I am driving an elderly Astra and she drives a Porsche Cayanne!

The pallisade fencing was put round the dock some years back after someone wandered onto the dock and collapsed near the edge. Not his day as he had come to make an appearence in court (I know not what for) and after contacting the court to explain his non appearence we found that it had been postponed. He was confused, only partly conscious and must have felt a bit like Gulliver, being aware that he was lying down yet someone was speaking to him at ear height until I told him I was standing on the track just in case he started to roll off the edge of the dock.

Do not forget to put up a post near the end with a sign saying that those two spaces are reserved for the signalmen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All the cars have died!!!
post-1557-0-85257700-1412797277_thumb.jpg

They have all had holes drilled in them and short lengths of wire inserted and glued into place.

Once dry they will be glued into holes in the car park which will hopefully keep them secure on the layout

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

am looking for quite a few cars for my N gauge society 'cartic 4s'

do you know a good source to get them from

TA

john

John

N Trains do packs of cheap plastic Japaneese cars whihc are 1;150 scale but is close neough to 1:148.

A few others do Tomytek ones whihc are of a better quality.

I have used a few continental N scale but being 1:160 are a bit small although these are normally situated towards the back of the layout.

Would be good if Oxford Diecast did a few more modern vehicles but the new Ford Transit van models are a start.

This morning I had a chance to drill holes in the car park (by hand as it was only 05.30!!) to fix the brass rod glued to the vehicles last night into these.

Just two or three left to do tonight then that board can be boxed up for the weekend.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I am driving an elderly Astra and she drives a Porsche Cayanne!

Never mind "young David", at least an old Vauxhaull Astra isn't as plain damn ugly as a Porsche Cayanne.  ;-)

Edited by Phatbob

Thanks all.

I was concerned that it was too long and rambling!!

Well ok, it was a bit boring... :blum: No, seriously, it was great - I had no idea Banbury was coming up as Railway of the Month.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well ok, it was a bit boring... :blum: No, seriously, it was great -

I kept falling asleep writing it!!!

At first I didn't think I would get to the required number of words but then I got into it and it ended up a lot longer!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

I’ll probably see that edition somewhere around January, 2015...............

Well deserved to be “Railway of the Month”! I remember salivating over RotM’s when I was about 12......

Is it possible to put a cover shot up on here? Probably not....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete

I did much the same around that age!

I have yet to get a copy of the mag as my only chance was last night at Victoria but only had a few minutes to catch our train home. I guess one is in the past to me.

If you go on the Peco website then to RM you will see it there albeit a fairly small image

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete

My copy arrived in yesterdays post. Only had a qucik flick through it as had to load the layout into the car, do a few alterations to the track plan in JMRI panel pro on the two PC's (after removal of a crossover in the fiddleyard) and get the stock ready for this weekends show.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the usual vehicle not quite on the track first hting this morning the layout performed well.

We did have one solenoid that possible got knocked loading the car last night whihc meant we couldnt run into platform 1 today but that will be refixed into place tomorrow morning before the show opens.

I probably made the most mistake operating today!!

Thanks Nick for helping us out today and hoopefully we can return the favour in the not too distant future.

Good to see Mike aka the Stationmaster along with Station Cat.

Tomorrow we have Andrew C giving us a hand.

Hopefully I will get chance ot take a few more photos once I reassemble my Colas class 47 . Just hope that I can cure the slipping form one of the gear trains on this Farish 47

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Really enjoyed the article in RM - well done.  The hardest thing about writing is starting - and once you've managed that, the next hardest thing is stopping.  You managed it with aplomb!  Really nice photographs too.

And the Brighton Belle looks lovely on your layout too.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

It was a great day, and after some initial hiccups (I did cause a couple of pileups I'm afraid!) Banbury proved to be a very enjoyable layout to operate...many thanks for asking me to help!

A couple of pictures of the layout - more from the show in general in the relevant thread once I have sorted through them...

post-6831-0-20503300-1413054163.jpg

post-6831-0-60410000-1413054607.jpg

post-6831-0-36853900-1413054638.jpg

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Just read the article in the Modeller, some superb photos's and a great write up. Look forward to seeing it again soon. 

Graham.

Graham

Thanks.

Our last show this year with Banbury is Warley.

Our first show next year is Canterbury.

Ian