Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Thanks for that. I have seen this style of loaded coal and some with it filled up more but the top flattened off.

I have followed the style in your photo although its not that obvious in my photos. I suspect it varies at each loading terminal.

Ian

It varies according to whether they are bunker loaded or bucket loaded and if they are bucket loaded it depends on how good the driver is and whether they are working at ground level or off a raised dock - variety such that it puts Heinz in the shade! (It also affects the amount of damage to the wagons and coal spill on the raves.

• RMweb Gold

It varies according to whether they are bunker loaded or bucket loaded and if they are bucket loaded it depends on how good the driver is and whether they are working at ground level or off a raised dock - variety such that it puts Heinz in the shade! (It also affects the amount of damage to the wagons and coal spill on the raves.

Yes, I have noticed the variances in loading and also sometimes there is virtually a whole rake of wagons with damage to the raves - now makes sense at to why.

• RMweb Gold

Just a short update on progress:

After drawing the elevations, I have now started cutting out the sides for the Chiltern ' portacabin' offices. These are being built a little differnetly from my ususal method.

The sides are cut from 20 thou plasticard and windows cut out. This morning I stuck 15thou plasricard to the inside of the first side and will then cut the window opens through this layer before painting the window opening grey.

The sides will then be assembled and roof added. Once done, clear plastic sheet will then be cut and glued to the outside walls. The window frames, cut from microstrip will then be added and the non glazed areas will be painted grey. This method will give a flush glazed windows as per the prototype and the three laminated layers will give the building strength.

I will post osme photos once there is a bit more to see.

Only three HYA hoppers still require the coal load to complete the 21 wagon rake of loaded hoppers - just hope the extra weight doesnt cause too much trouble for the class 66's!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I have noticed the variances in loading and also sometimes there is virtually a whole rake of wagons with damage to the raves - now makes sense at to why.

The way the coal lies also depends on the baffle plate

See my thread here for a photo under the reclaimer (bunker) at Liverpool docks - if the hoppers were overfilled at the front, they got a distinctive cut off along the top for about 3/4 of the length tailing off to nothing, at one time I could tell who was working the loader by the wagons.

I remember an MEA got overfilled one day, the height meant it got under the baffle plate but the guy operating the loader was then forced to shovel the extra coal out (for a while until the guys working the tractors took pity and did the job in 2 minutes)

• RMweb Gold

The way the coal lies also depends on the baffle plate

See my thread here for a photo under the reclaimer (bunker) at Liverpool docks - if the hoppers were overfilled at the front, they got a distinctive cut off along the top for about 3/4 of the length tailing off to nothing, at one time I could tell who was working the loader by the wagons.

I remember an MEA got overfilled one day, the height meant it got under the baffle plate but the guy operating the loader was then forced to shovel the extra coal out (for a while until the guys working the tractors took pity and did the job in 2 minutes)

I have done mine based on videos including one of yours heading South through Bishops Itchington albeit it was a Freighliner one rather than the GBRF ones I have done.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning I finished doing the coal loads in the HYA hoppers, so now there is a 21 wagon rake of loaded wagons ready to roll when the layout is exhibited at SIlverfox show in a few weeks time.

Also the first part of the Chiltern offices have now been assembled. The newer longer section is yet to be started.

The photo shows the current state. The walls have two laminated layers and is now ready for the thied outer clear styrene sheet to be applied. The edge of the window openings have been painted grey so they dont show up through the glazing. The large recess is where the mian entrance doors will gowhere you can see that these cabins are raised up off the ground and there will be a long ramp runing along the lenght of this building to give disabled access to the mian entrance. The microstrip sitting on the roof will be painted dark grey then cut up to form the window framing.

There is a lot of detailing to be added to this structure once the clear sheet to the walls if fixed.

Ian

post-1557-0-78474000-1343891822_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The DRS Railtech decals arrived yesterday so 47853 finally got its numbers. The decals include the tiny front numbers thst go just to the right of the headlight. The loco got a coat of Dullcote this morning. The engine room glazing ill be refixed tonight and the loco will be ready for use.

post-1557-0-10681700-1343974877_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

Guest billS

I have been recording the Mossend/didcot wagonload service consists, as this may be of some use to you, and also because it is one of the very few wagonload services left running.

Last nights train was a real monster, with 3 x 5 wagon blue articulated car carriers (blue sausages) as well as the usual motely collection of wagons attached to the regular Ford vans/car rakes.There was a VGA van between the Ford rake and these - so presumably they were not there to strngthen the Ford rake.

Does anyone know what the TTA flow is - presumably Fawley to somewhere?

Didcot - Mossend

15/6/2012 - single decker wagons with vans/cars - double decker wagons with cars - 2 x empty container flats - VGA van - 2 x empty container flats

19/6/2012 - single decker wagons with vans/cars - double decker wagons with cars - 1 x railfreight red OCA - 3 x VGA vans - 3 x TTA - 1 x empty container flats

25/7/2012- single decker wagons with vans/cars - double decker wagons with cars - 5 x VGA vans- 1 x railfreight red OCA - 3 x VGA vans

27/7/2012-single decker wagons with vans/cars - double decker wagons with cars - 1 x container flat with one container, 1 x empty Warwell, 2 x empty container flats 1 x VGA van

2/8/2012 -single decker wagons with vans - double decker wagons with cars, 1 x VGA van, 3 x 5 wagon articulated blue covered car carriers, 1 x orange stone hopper, 2 x TTA

9/8/2012 - single decker car/van carriers- 2 x VGA vans, 3 x TTA, 1 x empty container flat.

13/8/2012 - 1 x blue OCA, 5 x VGA, 2 x OCA, 8 x VGA, 2 x OCA, 2 x VGA, 2 x emptly twin container flats. Unusually - no car/van carriers

16/8/2012 - 1 x class 66 DIT, single decker wagons with vans/cars - double decker wagons with cars - 9 x VGA, 3 x TTA, 1 x empty twin container flat.

17/8/2012 - single decker wagons with vans/cars - double decker wagons with cars.No additional tail load

20/8/2012 - loaded double deck car carriers - 2 x VGA

22/8/2012 -single decker car transporters with vans/cars - double decker car transporters with cars. 9 x VGA, loaded container flat, loaded twin container flat, loaded container flat

23/8/2012 - class 66 DIT, double decker car transporters with cars, single deck car transporters with vans/cars, double deck car transporters with cars, VGA, 2 x TTA

24/8/2012 - doubledeck car transporters with cars, VGA.

Mossend - Didcot wagonload

28/7/2012 - empty double decker car transporters, 17x VGA vans

21/8/12- 2 x empty twin container flats, 7 x VGA, 1 x OCA, 4 x VGA, empty double deck car transporters

23/8/2012 - OCA, twin container flat (one half loaded) OCA, 8 x VGA, OCA, VGA, empty single deck car carriers, empty double deck car carriers, empty single deck car carriers

Edited by billS

• RMweb Gold

Bill

Thanks for the info. Its one train we have yet to model. I have emailed the lsit to a couple of my operators who are doing some of the wagons for the layout just incase they fancy doing a few more.

The car carriers are the hard items to get.

CJM do the Arbel 5 unit car carriers but at £275.00 per set its not a cheap way to do it plus they have now sold out till next year.

The transit van flats are doable and the other wagons are available so we have part of the train. Just need osme photos of the wagons but I know its not easy to photo this train. There are some videos on Youtube though.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have spent most of today working on the Chiltern offices. The windows framing and brick base piers are in place. The guttering and down pipes are next. The three section extension is yet to be started but that should happen in the next few days. The ramp and walkways will be the last item to add

post-1557-0-49903000-1344191564_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice lake - would have saved me doing all the track details!!

http://www.flickr.co...ul69/863460412/

My son and I were there not long before that, as in hours - going for a holiday to the Didcot area, and all (virtually) freights were caped or diverted, the floods started as we passed Oxford..

It fllooded previously some years before and the water was even higher as they closed some flood gates to stop Oxford flooding which backed the water up. A canal boat got caught under a bridge and swamped. I was working the South box that night and told control that a load of track circuits had gone down but there was no point in calling anyone out as it was because everything was under water. Yes, they got the S&T to come all the way from Marylebone! I just shrugged when they turned up and said I had told control what the situation was. When the water got even higher me and my mate at the North bailed and went up the station. I managed to keep my feet dry, my mate was not so lucky having to wade knee deep from the North box. There was some grumbling and criticism from our esteemed leadership at Birmingham about our actions. Well there was until they saw the film footage on the news!

• RMweb Gold

It fllooded previously some years before and the water was even higher as they closed some flood gates to stop Oxford flooding which backed the water up. A canal boat got caught under a bridge and swamped. I was working the South box that night and told control that a load of track circuits had gone down but there was no point in calling anyone out as it was because everything was under water. Yes, they got the S&T to come all the way from Marylebone! I just shrugged when they turned up and said I had told control what the situation was. When the water got even higher me and my mate at the North bailed and went up the station. I managed to keep my feet dry, my mate was not so lucky having to wade knee deep from the North box. There was some grumbling and criticism from our esteemed leadership at Birmingham about our actions. Well there was until they saw the film footage on the news!

Reminds me of when we had heavy snow a few years ago. When our trains were suspended. my boss lives in West London and drives to work, so if it's not snowing where he is as far as he is concerned its not snowing anywhere. Luckily for me,when I phoned him from the traction, there was an announcement on the platforms telling everyone to go home which he heard!

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more done to the Chiltern offices last night.

The gutters were added to the front elevation and a start made on the rear elevation ones.

The main entrance door which is recessed was given its first coat of paint. Just needs the final lighter brown colour to be applied streaky to give the correct wood effect to the timber doors and frame.

Once the downpipes are in place then this elevation can be painted.

The photo shows the front elevation where the walkway ramp and steps will eventually go.

post-1557-0-51716700-1344321818_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty sure it was 47841 as this was on the northbound loaded boat train with 47853 the other day and was allocated 5Z47 at 9am this morning.

http://www.flickr.co...ots/7704167538/

Hopefully i'll get time at the Sliverfox Show next saturday away from operating Lochnagar and come and say hello.

Mark

Edited by Markmiller2008

• RMweb Gold

The Chiltern offices are now almost complete. Final touching up of the paintwork needed and once I find where I have put the step mouldings I will add the steps to the main entrance and fire escape. There are a few aerials and air con units to add

post-1557-0-96099800-1344796451_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

The car carriers are the hard items to get.

CJM do the Arbel 5 unit car carriers but at £275.00 per set its not a cheap way to do it plus they have now sold out till next year.

The Didcot - Mossend ran with no car carriers last night. I don't know if this is a regular occurance on Mondays train, or if the cars carriers ran on a relief train due to the amount of additional load (see updated post 387 for consist), or if the originating point (Dagenham?) is closed for holidays.

Anyway - it gives you an excuse to model the train without car carriers

• RMweb Gold

The Didcot - Mossend ran with no car carriers last night. I don't know if this is a regular occurance on Mondays train, or if the cars carriers ran on a relief train due to the amount of additional load (see updated post 387 for consist), or if the originating point (Dagenham?) is closed for holidays.

Anyway - it gives you an excuse to model the train without car carriers

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we can run this service without car carriers this weekend at Silverfox show.

Ian

PS - what liveries where the OCA's and VGA's in?

Edited by roundhouse

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we can run this service without car carriers this weekend at Silverfox show.

Ian

PS - what liveries where the OCA's and VGA's in?

The light was pretty poor - but as far as I could see - for the OCA's blue, red, red, dutch, red. VGAs were the usual metal with faded yellow ends