Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

What an excellent layout, first time i've come across this and it's great when you know the prototype. The signalbox looks excellent I was supposed to work the real one for a week during my training at signalling school but unfortunatly it never happened still hope hoping to go out to it one day before it closes (a few years yet though) Keep up the good work.

• RMweb Gold

I picked up two class 60's from Kernow at the weekend at roughly half price. One will stay as Isambard Kingdom Brunel but the other one will probably become a DB Sckenker red and grey one. decals ordered from precision Scale. Did contemplate doing the silver Tatta one but my experience of applying decals to a silver finish isnt good.

Does anyone have photos of the DB Schenker livery on 6E55 Theale - Lindsey empty tank train?

Both now have Digitrax DZ125 decoders installed in them and working.

These two locos will get used on the 6E55 Theale to Lindsey empty tanks and should be runnig at the NESCOTT show in late April.

The Colas class 47 should also be running by then.

Ian

I picked up two class 60's from Kernow at the weekend at roughly half price. One will stay as Isambard Kingdom Brunel but the other one will probably become a DB Sckenker red and grey one. decals ordered from precision Scale. Did contemplate doing the silver Tatta one but my experience of applying decals to a silver finish isnt good.

Does anyone have photos of the DB Schenker livery on 6E55 Theale - Lindsey empty tank train?

Both now have Digitrax DZ125 decoders installed in them and working.

These two locos will get used on the 6E55 Theale to Lindsey empty tanks and should be runnig at the NESCOTT show in late April.

The Colas class 47 should also be running by then.

Ian

This do you?:-

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

OK- it's the loaded rather than the empty, but it'll have probably worked the return as well..

There are often views of trains that will later pass through Banbury on this site:-

http://petertandy.co.uk/

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

Excellent. Thanks for that Flickr link. Looks lie the one to do.

Plenty on Peter Tandy's site but no DBS liveried ones from what I could see. I have only managed to see class 66's on the 6E55 working when visiting the area.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have made 4 sections out of plywood with MDF spacers. Small flourescent tubes are from Screwfix and are lightweight so there are four of these in each section.

Each section bolts together. At each end there is a slot exactly the width of the diameter of the vertical tubular support. This tube is a white pre finished cupboard clothes rail.

The tube sits in a timber bracket which is in turn bolted to the legs.

It does sag a bit these days as has been used for six years on various layouts. It can be used with 2 or 3 sections on smaller layouts or with an extra 2 ft section in the middle and a brace that goes to the rea of the boards on longer layouts.

I will take some close up photos and post here in next few days.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a lot to report on as have been working on Santa Barbara ready for Trainwest in just over a weeks time.

However, the fiddle yard wiring has been modified by adding a Digitrax PM42 circuit breaker. This now splits te layout ino four sections, three in the fiddle yard and one for the scenic boards. This should reduce the number of times the layout goes dead when there is a short circuit somewhere which often happens when a turnout is not set correctly or locos are ring put on the tracks in the fiddle yard.

After Trainwest, work will resume in ernest on Banbury which should see virtually all details added including the portacabin type offices used by Chiltern at the front of the layout.

Also hope to have some more reliveried locos such as a DBS class 60 and. colas class 47.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those links.

Last night I partially stripped down my Farish class 60, rubbed the markings off and then applied a Matt light grey coat ready for when the Precision paints DBS colours arrive through the post.

Will put some photos of it here when there is a bit more progress.

Ian

Well that's just about all the modifications that will be done prior to this weekends show with the layout. The last item to be worked on was the construction of a small store next to the old cattle dock. This is now painted and glued in place. TPWS grid that I had wrongly positioned is now on the correct track.

Ian.

Where do you get your signals from? Thanks, MNG :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Where do you get your signals from? Thanks, MNG :scratchhead:

The semaphores are Ratio GWR lower quandrant square post ones but the post has been rounded with a file. The bracket signal is a bit of scratch building and Ratio signal bits along with the atch bracket from Model Signal Co.

I am about to start building the two new semaphore signals which are at the South end of platforms 1 and 2. These have modern safety paltforms which will be interesting ot build!

Hope to have al the signals complete including the remaining ground signals by NESCOT in just under two weeks time.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Work on the Farish class 60 is progressing well with the DBS colours now done. However the plan to do 60 079 has been changed as the decal sheet I have is for 60 007 which has the Switch on Safety logo. Not sure if this one has passed through Banbury but chances are it either has or will do.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Some nice videos that Beast has done.

Last ngiht I glued the National Express coach in place on the bridge just to the North of the station. There is now a driver and some passengers in the diverted coach due to problems on the near by M40!!

post-1557-0-15874700-1334818919_thumb.jpg

The other project currently being worked on is the class 60. Below is a photo of current progress showing the decals in place except for the cant rail line. Once these are added the loco will get its final coat of dullcoat then the glazing will be refixed.

post-1557-0-10862200-1334819581_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

The National Express coach really is a superb model. Nice to see one on Banbury. Makes a refreshing change from all the Bedford OBs seen on other N gauge layouts ;)

This really is a superb layout. It shows more than ever that N gauge/2mm is the best scale for modern image.

• RMweb Gold

I am often around Victoria but still havent seen one of these coaches in the flesh go by.

It is a nice coach model and the one thing that enhances it is to remove the front spigot inside that holds the roof / body to the chassis. I left the rear one in place then used canopy glue around the chassis to body joint to hold the whole thing rigid but the canopy glue can be removed should access to the interior ever be needed in future.

Ian