help, Bachmann class 37 sounds

Rob Hayes

Hi guys im relativley new here.

i have bought a few well alot of Bachmann class 37s 2 of them 37693 and 37057 viking are fitted with bachmans sound,

i have played with them lots and they sound great and ive fitted them with new speakers etc...

i have also adjusted after alot of time the cvs to get the best out of it, using cv1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. and cv63.

however even though i got it set up much much better than when out the box. they both have a huge lag for me after moving off and seems very conservative with the thrash , is there anyway i can improve this. i.e. other cv numbers that i havent encounterd yet.

i am using a Bachmann dynamis and last i checked i think my cv numbers were set as follows.

cv2 = 1

cv5 = 30

cv6 = 7

cv63 = 64 as i find the Bachmann chips very quiet compared to others.

any help much appreciated. cheers rob

I would suggest a reblow at Howes. We tried improving a Bachmann 37 254 a year or so ago and gave up.

Howes sounds cured the problem, better thrash, better volume all from the existing speaker.

yes that may happen, though i do like the sounds and as i already have 90% of the br bachman tractors and one ews 37411 i think i may leave it as im slowly fitting sound to all of them and want some variety,

so far im using zimo (pre multidrive) howes 37/9 , original version 37 refurb and new version refurb, and mr soundguy ones, too.

im yet to buy a zimo multidrive that looks awsome and have no swd or olivias yet,

so far my faves are howes and mr soundguy great sounds with great controlability,

i love the zimo but without multidrive not so good for small layouts,

and bachman at the bottom, lovely sound but not controlable much,.

the think i had found is that by reducing cv6 and cv5 it speeds up the time to thrash but you reduce the top speed of the loco. ill carry on playing with it, but to anyone who wants to copy my settings,

cv2 = 1

cv 5 = 30

cv 6 = 7

this gives a realistic or adaquate top speed and drives better. in case anyone else has had the problem i had with a loco out of box zooming off as if it was powerd by the hand of god with no thrash.

.... and ive fitted them with new speakers etc...

however even though i got it set up much much better than when out the box. they both have a huge lag for me after moving off and seems very conservative with the thrash , is there anyway i can improve this. i.e. other cv numbers that i havent encounterd yet.

i am using a Bachmann dynamis and last i checked i think my cv numbers were set as follows.

cv2 = 1

cv5 = 30

cv6 = 7

cv63 = 64 as i find the Bachmann chips very quiet compared to others.

any help much appreciated. cheers rob

What speakers did you fit. A pair of sealed 23 ml round speakers in the tanks producer alot of noise and a pretty good depth of sound

Its been a while since i looked at cv settings, but i am sure there are old posts advising of what numbers go into the cv to get a better operation.

you could also enable notching. thats how i like to operate mine usually, though it has to be said you can get the set up so it works well with out notching.

This is one of my Bachmann / SWD class 37 using dynamis with cv changed to produce thrash at slow speeds.

will try and chase up more info on settings for you if no one else comes back with them?

Simonj

hi piemanlarger im pretty new here even though i joined a year ago i havent posted much in that time till now, ive always been a fan of your vids by the way been watching them for years on youtube love the ews 37s, im a 37 nut myslef.

well they are both fitted with dcc supplies bass reflex in the roof the small flat one, and both fitted with the largest i forget dimintions bass speaker with enclosure and port in the fuel tanks,

they sound pretty good just not anywere near as loud as any of my others, so far ive got howes hst x2 (obviously and LOUD) mr soundguy 40 that is louder and that has just the standard speaker in with no enclosure and just bluetac, sounds good too. zimo 37 deafening, mrsoundguy 37s very loud and bassy, howes 37s all Bachmann 20 bad sounds but loud,

but i find the Bachmann 47 and 37 really quiet. compared.

much better since i added those speakers and alot clearer than the rubbish supplied with them

cv read out would be very much appreciated.

I only have one Bachmann DS model that is 37254 these are the CV's for this loco I use [Tailchaser layout]

CV2 -1

CV3 - 60

CV4 -17

CV5 - 35

CV6 - 17

Hope this helps.

thanks ill give that ago this weekend when im running them, cheers rob

also the notching ive always found hit and miss and quite uncontrolable, maybe i should practice more, latching or momentary ?

on the swd / Bachmann 37, momentry for notch up, latching for notch down.

I find if i press the up notch for about a second and then take my finger off, give it a second or two and up it goes. Use notch down then to stop the up notching,

Bit of practise should sort it ut, doddle on the dynamos.

HAave a look here Rob

http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo/featured

We find notching a bit of a pain too, prefer to 'drive' them properly. Open them up gently and the rumble away at little more than tick over, open the taps and they trash like mad etc and every option in between. Like a real loco. Legoman seems to have cracked this on the 4.0 chip. Bryans Howes reblow does the same and include some lovely wheel slip and over revs from the 37. To my mind the best alternative to notching is some sort of half speed performance where you can (if you had a heavy train on) have the full repertoire of noises at a slightly lower speed.

The notching on the Bachmann DS models are spooled, so if you press F5 a couple of times, say a couple of seconds apart, you have to do the same on F6 to take off notching before slowing down the loco. Otherwise it will continue to rev once the loco has come to a standstill .

If you wish to have a drivable 37 then Digitrains multi drive 37 is the way to go, the engine sound is not controlled by speed step, so you can have instant thrash on and instant thrash off, when and where you like - ideal if you only have a small end to end layout - even better on a tailchaser.......

I listen to Biff's 37 and its without doubt the best 37 starting up I have heard!

• RMweb Gold

Currently testing a LegomanBiffo 37/4 with his recommended speaker, it pretty much fills the fuel tanks and does give some beautiful noises.

Trouble is finding the time to give it a damn good run though!

post-3421-0-17084900-1326441528_thumb.jpg

Whos speaker is that?

cheers

Simon

Whos speaker is that?

cheers

Simon

it looks like a base reflex?

I have one of my 37 fitted with a base reflex in the tank, but on test more people prefered the sound of 2 x 23 ml round in the tanks.

Base reflex also dont punch through at shows as well i have found, thats on Howes and SWd 37.

Very good though and certainly worth a try with sound locos, as what suits some will not be prefered by others.

It was recommended by legomanbiffo.

You have to remove the cast weight, the tabs from the end of the speakers and cut small recesses in the corners for the diecast metal tabs on the chassis block.

It sits proud by about 1 mm at the bottom but that is fine.

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/speakers/dss229-hi-bass-speaker-enclosed--wire-leads--rectangular--8ohm--1w--58x15x23mm.aspx

Currently testing a LegomanBiffo 37/4 with his recommended speaker, it pretty much fills the fuel tanks and does give some beautiful noises.

Trouble is finding the time to give it a damn good run though!

post-3421-0-17084900-1326441528_thumb.jpg

A very neat install ! must try one of these. If this is the same speaker as used in biff's Utube 37/4 clips, it sounds superb. I'm sure biff recommends Alan Butcher's speaker's avail via Digitrains - perhaps this is one of them ?

It certainly is a big beast of a speaker tractor_37260 !

Thanks for the comment, it is worth the effort to do it right.

I did try two 23mm round in each fuel tank but I did not like the sound of it in my environment.

I have also recently done a Heljan Class 26 with the 28mm round speaker Biff recommends http://www.dccsuppli...products_id=558

It has wonderful sound, but you have to mill out a chunk of metal from the chassis, this speaker will also be tested with Howes sounds, see how it performs.

I am also going to try this 28mm speaker with a Loksound XL, see how it sounds for some projects I am working on for 7mm clients.

on the swd / Bachmann 37, momentry for notch up, latching for notch down.

I find if i press the up notch for about a second and then take my finger off, give it a second or two and up it goes. Use notch down then to stop the up notching,

Bit of practise should sort it ut, doddle on the dynamos.

hi piemanlarger, thanks so much for the tip on the notching, i spend much of the weekend with 37693 and 37057 and ive got them running a treat now the momentary notching is so good with the latching notchdown i can control them so easy now and made a video of them i was so please with it all.

also to my suprise they were louder than i remembered. thats as i had forgoten i had installed big speakers in these. /(alot happened work wise since last febuary) when i did this. 37693 has a bass reflex in the roof and a bigger one in the fuel tanks. i hadent run this one much since then.

however 37057 was not as loud and could not work out why, it was only then i remember at that time i had only inslalled a bass reflex in the roof and none in the fuel tanks as yet silly me! so ill take a trip to dcc supplys this week and grab a speaker for that one too..

however i think ill try the the speaker you suggested. was that the twin 23mm. hopefully give a different tone to 693.

the sound from swd is a satisfying one, i now find i can notch up get and get passed the first rev. then get up to the first stage thrash which is my favourite sound on that chip and move away to a decent speed and leave running on the loop lovely stuff.

i also find i could now use this on the depot layout i had started making some years ago so thanks very very much matey.

also i have revised my cvs after many hours i found that 2 settings suited me but finaly settled on this grouping .

cv2= 1

cv3= 60

cv4=10

cv5= 30

cv6= 15

i can now control a Bachmann 37 how id like much much better and hope your help can help others.

brill stuff once again cheers rob

I have 2 Bachmann 37s and a 47.

All three suffered with lag on the sounds.

I'm now firmly fixed on Loksound V4 chips with sounds by Legomanbiffo.

Search on youtube and his V4 videos.

So much better than anyone else's in my view.

Dave Smith

wow i really like those legomanbifffo sounds too. must grab some of them were do i get his chips from

cheers rob

HAave a look here Rob

http://www.youtube.c...nbiffo/featured

We find notching a bit of a pain too, prefer to 'drive' them properly. Open them up gently and the rumble away at little more than tick over, open the taps and they trash like mad etc and every option in between. Like a real loco. Legoman seems to have cracked this on the 4.0 chip. Bryans Howes reblow does the same and include some lovely wheel slip and over revs from the 37. To my mind the best alternative to notching is some sort of half speed performance where you can (if you had a heavy train on) have the full repertoire of noises at a slightly lower speed.

thanks mate they are wonderfull got to get some of these were can i buy one, cheers rob

The notching on the Bachmann DS models are spooled, so if you press F5 a couple of times, say a couple of seconds apart, you have to do the same on F6 to take off notching before slowing down the loco. Otherwise it will continue to rev once the loco has come to a standstill .

If you wish to have a drivable 37 then Digitrains multi drive 37 is the way to go, the engine sound is not controlled by speed step, so you can have instant thrash on and instant thrash off, when and where you like - ideal if you only have a small end to end layout - even better on a tailchaser.......

I listen to Biff's 37 and its without doubt the best 37 starting up I have heard!

thanks alot i do want to get my hands on some of the multidrive chips. bring on pay day!

I have also recently done a Heljan Class 26 with the 28mm round speaker Biff recommends http://www.dccsuppli...products_id=558

It has wonderful sound, but you have to mill out a chunk of metal from the chassis

Cliff; that's not the speaker I used in the 26 (or 27), and I didn't do any milling. I used an Alan Butcher 28x40 speaker (thinned down to 27x40), which is available from Digitrains. There's a couple of hours of plastic work involved but no milling. The end result is well worth it though, it sounds fantastic. I'm happy to PM or post instructions if anyone is interested.

Rob etc; for v4 reblows contact me, for v4 chips with my sounds on, contact Charlie.

Bif

Cliff; that's not the speaker I used in the 26 (or 27), and I didn't do any milling. I used an Alan Butcher 28x40 speaker (thinned down to 27x40), which is available from Digitrains. There's a couple of hours of plastic work involved but no milling. The end result is well worth it though, it sounds fantastic. I'm happy to PM or post instructions if anyone is interested.

Rob etc; for v4 reblows contact me, for v4 chips with my sounds on, contact Charlie.

Bif

hi legomanbiffo im pretty new here but i guess your the genius behind the lovely sounds, which charlie is this im new to forums as is, i joined here a year ago but im only just devoting time to this site. looks like fun place to be, im seem like britmodeller which im on alot too. cheers rob

Archived