New MK2D Intercity coaches

Melly

Just interested to see if anyone else has taken delivery of the new MK2D intercity livery (rasberry ripple!) Mk2's yet. Mine arrived this morning and, although I only had a 5 mins to check them out, the lower bodyside grey had a distinctly yellowish tinge to it and was certainly no where near as light a grey as advertised in the pre-production shots.

Pre-production shot http://www.modelrail...ss-air-con.html

Hattons actual shot http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx NOTE: The Hattons shot is lighter than actual !!

Need to do a comparison shot in natural light tomorrow but first encouter certainly had me going hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Thoughts?

Cheers

Melly

• RMweb Premium

When the first run of these came out mid last year there were simliar expressions of disappointment expressed not only on the shade of Exec Light Grey used (very wrong was the general consensus, same applied to the Mk 3 Sleeper that came out at the same time) but also on the bizzarre placing of the Intercity logo on one side of the Brake vehicle.

Assuming that the Hattons pictures are of this new second run coaches and they have not simply rerun the shots from the first batch then it looks like the cock up has simply been repeated again.

Disappointing as if Hornby had got the shade at least reasonably right then I would have had a full rake.

I saw some of these in my local model emporium at the weekend, laughed, and left them on the shelf with the thought that yet again it's all gone Pete Tong with the paint shade from Hornby, 'Anemic Custard/ Chicken soup' Exec light 'Hmmmmmmmmm - well Grey it aint' Grey anyone ??........ Will re-spray my own I think

Mike

• RMweb Premium

If they were Railroad range priced then yes I would buy them, mask off the lower bodyside and respray and then reapply transfers but at an exorbitant £22 a pop (and more in some places) I think I will pass thanks...

Looking into my murky crystal ball i agree with jonathon452. i think its just a matter of time ie; next year or 2 we will see some decent Mk2d/e/f's although dont count Dapol out either.

In this day and age it does seem incomprehensible that we dont have decent quality accurate aircon coaches for layouts spanning 1970-2000. For those modelling express passenger trains and have the superbly detailed locos from Heljan Dapol and Bachmann etc, all they can really run them with are the excellent Mk1s or vans that Bachmann do.

Whether Bachmanns foray into AC electrics with their new Class 85 will spawn the birth of some new mk2 coaches to go with them is possible and may actually help sales of all their other locos which also hauled this type of popular passenger vehicle.

I know on old Lima Mk2 and Mk3 coaches if you attempt to respray the lower half (into some other colour) the red and white executive striping is a delicate transfer and will pull off in patches with your masking tape. Not sure if these latest Hornby coaches still go through the same process or whether the stripes are now laser scanned on in which case respraying the lower body will be a lot safer.

Not sure if these latest Hornby coaches still go through the same process or whether the stripes are now laser scanned on in which case respraying the lower body will be a lot safer.

Dunno about the same process per se, it's certainly not the same factory, and technology has moved on a good decade or more, so I expect the process and exact material specs will have evolved too.

Here is a question, I just noticed that all of my 2nd class Hornby MK2 were packed in 1st class boxes. Anyone else had this?

Yes, that was the same with mine.

I'm know I'm going to have to duck whilst various objects are thrown at me, but I have always rated these Mk2ds since their release by Airfix 30+ years ago - they were so far ahead of the field on release that I can still live with them happily today. They (and the sensational-for-it's-time Mainline Mk1 RBR) where so much better than the contemporary Limby/Hornby stuff in their day that they haven't (to me) been left behind in the same way.

For me the glaring gap is the lack of Mk2e/f versions, for which we only have the horrendous Lima offerings which are long unavailable and sell for ludicrous prices on ebay.

We are still yet to see any Mk ii air con stock, that has the corect tumblehome and or correct length, each have Airfix - Lima have their failings and no one has ever prouduced all bodystyles.

It would seem a market for someone to jump into, just no one seems to want too.

Ian

probably because it would take some serious investment given the shear numbers of the different mk2 variations and greater opportunity to make a mistake. who knows maybe the Bachmann people have been busying themselves for a year or two already working on a new coach? Ive always thought that BR mk2 aircons were the natural stepping stone from the aircon Mk2s produced for Murphys Models so some of the work will have been done.

that said the original mk3s only came in 4 basic bodystyles and nobody has taken new versions of those on.

whatever, there is no doubt about it coaching stock for the modern image modeller now needs to be addressed. I would even like to see Bachmanns Mk1s move the game on at their next retool to include interior lighting like they have in the DMUs and Blue Pullman.

there have been noises from all sides for some time now about the mk2s in particular but mk3a's would also be nice to see given that Hornby stick with the HST types.

probably because it would take some serious investment given the shear numbers of the different mk2 variations and greater opportunity to make a mistake. who knows maybe the Bachmann people have been busying themselves for a year or two already working on a new coach? Ive always thought that BR mk2 aircons were the natural stepping stone from the aircon Mk2s produced for Murphys Models so some of the work will have been done.

I seem to remember that one of the modelling magazines said a while back they they were going to commission some MK2 aircons based on the Murphy Models Mk2s, but whichever magazine it was they seem to have dropped the idea.

• RMweb Premium

Being the owner of a half-set (late IC sector 6-coach rake) I thought this would be an opportunity to boost to a longer 8-coach rake and with a new brake to remove the need to run a greenish-yellow coloured Dapol version. The library images were not all that encouraging and the incorrect INTER CITY logo stands out like a sore thumb but the colour of the actual items when they arrived made me regret the purchase.

They are wrong. Simples. The shade is nowhere near the IC grey and is much closer to the erstwhile greenish-yellow I had hoped to eliminate from the rake.

Nonetheless they are reasonably competent structural representations of those coaches, run very well, and are better than I could hope to build myself. As the items are perfectly fit for purpose I have no legitimate grounds to return them either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi All

While I agree that at the price the colour should be right for those who want to fix it Peugot Antelope Beige (from Halfords) is a decent match for IC warm grey. It will need something to tone down the gloss though. Given the faun needs a respray anyway Id be hunting for cheap-o Dapol ones.

HTH

Jim

Archived