Cab Ride Manc Vic to Stalybridge 1989

The last time I was at Stalybridge was in February 1967. Just got off a very late railtour with 'Alberta' to catch the last train to Victoria which had been held to make the connection. Just had time to have quick look at the clock!

Nice video, I've sent to link to the friend who was with me on the railtour.

Regards

Was that two class 155,s coming at the end of the film?

No 156s . 155s more common on the Calder Valley line and would have been in WYPTE colours at that time.

• RMweb Premium

No two 156s and a Class 104 on the Stockport-Stalybridge as well. The 156s were an improvement on the 150/2s that initially took over from the Peaks and 47s on the trains to Scarborough etc.

I spent many happy hours at Victoria when it looked like that. I can't believe it's over 20 years ago!

Mike,

Yes it was a flyover, linking Oldham Road/ Collyhurst Street sidings to Miles Platting/.Brewery Sidings. It enabled freight traffic to cross the main lines at this busy junction without causing any delays.

It's amazing how long some infrastructure lasted past closure, Exchange station's infrastructure survived to 1980.

I wonder what would have happened if the station's infrastructure had still existed when they built the MEN Arena, could it have actually replaced the through lines for Victoria allowing that part of Victoria to be demolished and replaced with just 4 straight lines and no platforms.

It's amazing how long some infrastructure lasted past closure, Exchange station's infrastructure survived to 1980.

I wonder what would have happened if the station's infrastructure had still existed when they built the MEN Arena, could it have actually replaced the through lines for Victoria allowing that part of Victoria to be demolished and replaced with just 4 straight lines and no platforms.

WH,

It could have but not much good for the bay platform connections and the Metrolink tram connections.

But then again Exchange by that time only existed as an island platform used as a staff car park.

But then again if they had'nt vanadalised/desecrated Victoria for the MEN arena they woul'nt have the problems they now have with capacity.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh those long gone stations at Miles Platting, Park and the sites of Baguley Fold and Droylsden. Then there is the line comming in from Guide Bridge at Ashton Moss East jct also long gone the sight there now occupied by Ikea and Sainsburys. If you know were to look you can see were the line to Oldham by Park Bridge went. Also the branch to Stuarts Street power Station and the M/Cr council Abbatoir sidings which was built for bringing in livestock for slaughter built as the traffic stopped, and we call councils for financial waste to-day.

So much history along such a small strech of line.

Oh those long gone stations at Miles Platting, Park and the sites of Baguley Fold and Droylsden. Then there is the line comming in from Guide Bridge at Ashton Moss East jct (O.A. & G.B. Junction, surely? Thats what it said on the 'box.) also long gone the sight there now occupied by Ikea and Sainsburys. If you know were to look you can see were the line to Oldham by Park Bridge went. Also the branch to Stuarts Street power Station and the M/Cr council Abbatoir sidings which was built for bringing in livestock for slaughter built as the traffic stopped, and we call councils for financial waste to-day.

So much history along such a small strech of line.

Thanks for posting. Not seen this view for over 50 years. I've told this story before.....Aged only 18, I was sat at the regulator of a L&YR 0-6-0 on that climb out of Victoria to Miles Platting turn-off whilst my driver was busy working on the fire trying to raise steam to keep us going (we were hauling parcels vans from West of Victoria). As soon as the line levelled out a bit, (this was where Up goods trains stopped and pinned down brakes) we switched positions before reaching Miles Platting box and things were easier on the stretch to Park Station. This was where I put the injector on and some more coal.

After passing the signalbox east of Park I climbed onto the back of the tender to shovel coal forward, including some old stuff around the water flller, while the driver blew the whistle to warm me to duck for signals and over bridges (there were more semaphores in those days). We were put into the loop at Ashton-Under-Lyne station to let two passenger trains pass. I took the opportunity to open the smokebox door (not an easy job with several cleats to undo with a spanner) and shovelled out red hot ash that was more than half way up the box and blocking the lower tubes. The door was very badly burned. The engine steamed well after that through Stalybridge and on to Diggle.

It took the diesel in the video just over 3 minutes to reach Miles Platting. It took us around 10-15 I suspect!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A number of runaways happened over the years on 'Platting Bank'

Even in diesel days.

This one was in 1985.

31464,53662 ManVic 12 July 1985

post-1161-0-53530000-1337805031.jpg

The same loco survived a later crash and was repaired again.

Archived