Teifi Valley Railway

BG John

Last time I was there I did not hear anything about it. IIRC the cost of restoring the bridge over the Teifi would be very expensive and I believe that the trackbed beyond the river the was sold. I would be happy to be proved wrong of course.

There was some talk about extending it eastwards from Henlan but I don't know what the timescale is for that.

I seem to remember the figure of 250K floating around as the cost for rebuilding the bridge, although that was some time ago.

I will be seeing one of their volunteers in a few weeks (at the Kenavon Railway Society's exhibition in East Reading on 18th Feb - quick plug!) so will try to remember to ask him then.

Richard

This was a famous disaster of a few years ago. As I recall the Teifi bridge was still in place - it was quite a substantial affair, and needed to be as the river in spate can be very powerful - and the railway were after a grant to repair it, but very foolishly started work before the grant had been obtained, so they lost it! Since then, nothing much seems to have happened except that the bridge has gone!

It's a nice little line, but has had its share of troubles, including a General Manager a few years back who resigned under a very black cloud; don't ask, 'cos I shan't say!

Shame, really.

(For what it's worth, my ancestors came from Henllan back in the 1880s!)

Have the TVR got a working website? All the links I have come across for their official site lead to a dead end. We've got friends staying with us in the Summer and as it's only a hour or so from us it would be nice to take them there for a few hours. I did go there about three or four years ago after the extension was built. So it would be good to see how they have progressed since then.

Interesting that they're planning an event to celebrate the Jubilee; last year several railways ran an 'avoid the royal wedding' event, and I believe that some have 'avoid the Olympics' events this summer.

(Indeed, the West Wales Show will be held on the closing day of the Olympics, and the comments I've heard suggest that it certainly won't suffer as a result of that!)

• 2 years later...

Things are starting to happen, and we are aiming to have part of the railway operating at Easter. Updates should be appearing regularly on the web site, when the new webmaster gets his finger out and gets on with it. But for now, he's just done a quick update of the old site.

In fact I've just noticed something on it that's out of date, so I suppose I'd better fix it!

http://www.teifivalleyrailway.org

I want to put a write up of the situation on the site soon, with a few photos. It will be pretty much what was reported in the railway press recently, as that is quite accurate. Then I hope to post regular progress reports. I think the first stage is pretty straightforward to relay. I only got elected to the role of Webmaster last week, although I did some work on it before then, so I'm still getting myself organised!

John

Mike Martin used to bring his stand to the show I run in Reading each February and put some flyers out for the railway.

As he won't be attending this year, if you want to post some over, PM me and I'll let you know my address.

Richard

If the TVR are going to update their leaflet, could they please remove this completely unauthorised picture of me driving their Quarry Hunslet which has featured on it for several years; they don't have the copyright and can consider themselves bl**dy lucky they haven't been taken to the cleaners over it!

post-104-0-34148700-1422351126_thumb.jpg

Oh, and a heartfelt apology would be very nice!

If the TVR are going to update their leaflet, could they please remove this completely unauthorised picture of me driving their Quarry Hunslet which has featured on it for several years; they don't have the copyright and can consider themselves bl**dy lucky they haven't been taken to the cleaners over it!

attachicon.gifHunslet.jpg

Oh, and a heartfelt apology would be very nice!

Whilst I have no knowledge of who's photograph that is I presume you own the photograph itself? If not then the copyright for the photograph remains with the photographer and you have no copyright over it. However, given the difficulties the TVR are going through a little more sympathy might be in order and a polite request often receives a more positive result than threat of litigation. Have you contacted the railway directly regarding your wishes or are you solely making this request via a public forum?

Whilst I have no knowledge of who's photograph that is I presume you own the photograph itself? If not then the copyright for the photograph remains with the photographer and you have no copyright over it. However, given the difficulties the TVR are going through a little more sympathy might be in order and a polite request often receives a more positive result than threat of litigation. Have you contacted the railway directly regarding your wishes or are you solely making this request via a public forum?

My photograph of me, taken by a mate on my (film!) camera and at my request - the original print is on my wall; I had it digitised and put online - with a copyright notice which has been carefully snipped off - and only found out about this improper use of it when Nigel Bird waved the offending brochure under my nose last autumn with a friendly comment to the effect that it's no wonder they're having problems with this chap on their leaflet.

At that time the TVR were, quite frankly, in total meltdown, so there was little point in contacting anyone there; there's no point in taking anything up with a 'straw man'. Now that they seem to be stirring again, I'd appreciate someone politely saying Oops, that's all; and since the leaflet is in the public domain, they should have the grace to do it in public.

But they apparently prefer to pretend it hasn't happened. I don't want to take them to the cleaners - indeed, I wish them all success, it's a smashing little trip - but saying sorry shouldn't hurt too much, should it? And when they've done that, I'll happily let them go on using the picture, free, gratis and for nothing, but with the appropriate © on it.

It's being looked into John. I've only had this role for a short time, and one of the things I'm doing is gathering comments and feedback from anywhere I find it online, so we can try to resolve problems and do better in the future, and enhance the things people like. I'm new to the railway, but it looks like nothing like this has been done before, so it takes time to get organised, pass comments on to the right people, and get a response. It's in the system, and I know it's being looked into. But we're all volunteers, with limited time, and a massive job to do rebuilding the railway. Your comment was one of the reasons I identified a need to handle feedback, but it wasn't wise to respond immediately as I wasn't in a position to say anything.

Half Term Activity at The Teifi Valley Railway
Back to the Future Railway Walks!

Saturday 14th February at 11am
Sunday 15th February at 2pm
Starting from the Station Yard in Henllan

A rare opportunity to join us on two guided walks along lengths of trackbed normally not available to visitors, because of either train activity or difficulties in access due to overgrowth of vegetation.

Will be of particular interest to people in the Llandyfriog, Newcastle Emlyn, Pentrecwrt and Llandysul areas, who will perhaps recall their parents talking about the "live time" of the Railway and the early days of the Teifi Valley Railway Society. All will be welcome.

Overgrowth is no longer a problem on the trackbeds, but we would urge that you wear suitable footgear, keep youngsters safe, have dogs under control, bring torches for use as we go through the tunnel, and to stay with the group at all times.

The route is not a public footpath, and for safety reasons instructions from the guides must not be ignored.

Donations to the reconstruction fund will be appreciated.

Here are the Facebook links. I have more work to do on the web site before I can easily keep it up to date.

https://www.facebook.com/TeifiValleyRly

https://www.facebook.com/events/781658048554982/?ref=22

https://www.facebook.com/events/1412373322394178/?ref=22

It's being looked into John. I've only had this role for a short time, and one of the things I'm doing is gathering comments and feedback from anywhere I find it online, so we can try to resolve problems and do better in the future, and enhance the things people like. I'm new to the railway, but it looks like nothing like this has been done before, so it takes time to get organised, pass comments on to the right people, and get a response. It's in the system, and I know it's being looked into. But we're all volunteers, with limited time, and a massive job to do rebuilding the railway. Your comment was one of the reasons I identified a need to handle feedback, but it wasn't wise to respond immediately as I wasn't in a position to say anything.

That's very fair, I can't ask for more than that!

I do wish you every success with the restoration which the line clearly needs. Things hadn't been going well for quite a while down in Henllan, and at one point I'm sorry to say that we had to instruct our staff not to visit the station there in the course of their work due to the abuse they were getting from what was clearly an earlier generation of volunteers there. Sad but true!

Let me reiterate, I do hope that things look up now and wish you all well!

John

Best of luck with the rebuild / relaying. I have memories of taking a ride down the valley and playing on the horse in the play area at Henllan when I was a young boy. I must have visited at least every other year for the last 30 years! Last summer I bought my two lads for their first trip on the line and we'll all be returning again this year. Fingers crossed we can take a trip on the trains!

Cheers

Archived