Smithdown Road Junction

shanks522

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham,

Brilliant work with the automated loops - do they change the points too?  Definitely something to consider on my next layout :D

Are the West Coast transfers from Precision?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Graham,

Brilliant work with the automated loops - do they change the points too?  Definitely something to consider on my next layout :D

Are the West Coast transfers from Precision?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes the new gadgets change the points, as soon as a loco or rolling stocking goes over the infra red it throws the switch.

And yeah i think the transfers are from Precision.

All the best 

Graham.

Thanks Oli, most kind,

How is your layout going?

Graham.

No more updates to mine unfortunately due to my exams :( However, I am hoping to get the layout wired within the next week and then I can begin with the basic scenery.

Think I may have asked you this before but are your retaining walls from 'International Models'?

And the end piece before the girder (circled in orange)

post-15085-0-16277400-1365347056.jpg

Is that a cut off from the same retaining walls or is that another product?

Thanks, Oli :) 

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Nothing of any importance to report but thought i would share a short video of my latest loco addition, I have been weighing up the pro's and con's of purchasing the Dapol Dcc train set solely to get my hands on a Loadhaul 56, Works been busy so i thought i would treat myself and i'l either sell on the set with another loco or maybe keep it for a future project? Really pleased i got it as the loco is excellent and Loadhaul is one of my favourite livery's so here she is running in. 

Cheers

Graham.

I liked the sneaky 37s passing with the nuke flaks.

I do like the 56 and loadhaul always has been a fave of mine. Shame it's just too far outside my time scale. (Lucky the Colas one is good).

Love your layout wish I could get something like that!

Alistair

Cheers Alistair,

To be honest the Loadhaul 56 is a little out of my time scale but i like it so it stays, This is the first Dapol 56 i've bought and i'm very impressed, i think a Colas one will have to follow. 

All the best

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

It goes with the Loadhaul brake van in the background!  Love the video - I wish colas was in my timescale...

Is Smithdown Rd digital?

Cheers

Simon

Awesome! I've got to the bottom of page 6 and wish I'd started with n gauge .

Ruby loves Archie the kitten!

Thanks Martin, never to late to change scales and i'm glad Ruby likes Archie, his brother prefers 00 gauge.

Cheers

Graham.

It goes with the Loadhaul brake van in the background!  Love the video - I wish colas was in my timescale...

Is Smithdown Rd digital?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

No the layout is conventional DC, The 56 apparently has a Gaugemaster Chip in it which can run on both DCC and DC, I didn't know this until i read something on Dapol's facebook page but at least i haven't had to remove it. 

Cheers

Graham. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I need inspiration for what can be achieved in N gauge, this is where I come. I love this layout, it fascinates me - there's so much going on but it doesn't look cramped at all. Perfect balance, and just outstanding. :)

I have a few questions which admittedly may have been answered already but I don't have time to re-scour the whole thread looking for them, so apologies for that - but I'm currently trying to make dinner, do chores AND work on my layout, so I'm a bit busy! :D

First question - how big is the layout? It looks tiny but at the same time huge!

What did you use for ballasting, as most ballast I can find looks WAY too big for N, but yours looks spot on?

Thanks,

Dan

Cheers Dan, Thankyou for the kind words, glad the layout is inspiring you. 

To answer your questions,

The layout is 7 ft 5'' wide by 2 ft 6'' deep.

And ballast is Woodland scenics fine ballast, I've used the buff and the brown one. 

Cheers

Graham.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I haven't done much work to the layout of late but do spend an hour or so playing trains now and then, A couple of weeks ago i got the Kamtruck out and had a play to see how the layout is looking at ground level and at first was awful, It's amazing the things you don't notice and as the saying goes the camera never lies. I spent a while cleaning and tidying then set about filming some more, I've made a short video to see how things look and overall i'm fairly pleased.

The layout is at the Bexhill show in early August so need to repair minor damage and add some more details etc so time to get my finger out and do a bit! 

Cheers

Graham.

I really enjoyed that clip Graham,

"It's amazing the things you don't notice ... "

I know what you mean: Increasingly I find myself taking pictures of work in progress in order to seek out those things the human eye doesn't spot.

At the end of the day I'm not sure whether the digital camera is a boon or a curse.

What I am sure about is that your layout is still one of my favourites for it's originality :)

Cheers Mark,

It took over an hours filming to get just that short clip as when i viewed the footage there was always something i wasn't happy with, although it highlights all the imperfections/damage it makes me want to try harder so all in all a good thing. 

One thing i'm considering is a detachable scenic portion to fit on the front of the layout to create an enclosed area for filming.

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

An hour?!? Wowza - it looked so good at Tonbridge! - I daren't run a cam truck round Gresby, it'll take forever!!  What needed doing to the layout before you were happy with the film? 

Are you filming the top deck next :jester: ?

Cheers

Simon

Archived