Smithdown Road Junction

shanks522

Hello all,

Spent most of today packing the layout up for its next exhibition tomorrow at Bexhill, tidied up some scenery and cleaned all the track then to top it off spent my friday evening ironing the cloth that hangs around the layout, oh to live the high life.

Hard to believe how much stuff i have to cart around for a small N gauge layout. 

post-6774-0-32577000-1376075032_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

Hello all,

A nice exhibition at Bexhill yesterday and the layout performed reasonably well, traffic made us a little latter than i would have liked which didn't leave much time to set up but everything was ready by 10 (opening time). A couple of minor problems popped up, one was the automated fiddle yard loops, they were working fine then all of a sudden a point started playing up and was making two tracks live at once, I'm sure its a simple fault which shouldn't be to hard to repair.

The second problem was with loco's, to be specific Dapol 67's, I've got four motored versions two of which went pop early on in there life and are awaiting repair, then yesterday for no apparent reason the other two just gave up the ghost, I'm really not sure what has happened and a little disappointed but hopefully they are fixable. 

Heres a couple of pics from the day.

post-6774-0-97104400-1376226703_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-50954500-1376226695_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-70066500-1376226686_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-24225600-1376226677_thumb.jpg

And a video.

Cheers

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham,

Love the video!  Hope the other electrical work to the sidings made operating easier! 

Thats a pain with the 67s, and 4 out of 4 is rubbish!  I always seem to have locos break down on me at the start of exhibitions, just when there's no time to fix them.  Hope you get them sorted!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, 

The automated loops really helped, (when they were working ok) just frees up an operator to talk to people or have a wander around, plus with all the points now motorised in the add on fiddle yard operating was a lot easier. 

The 67's have annoyed me, I don't want to knock Dapol as i have some lovely loco's that they've produced but i seem to be jinxed with a 67, It started with an EWS one, as it was running in it got very hot then slowed to a crawl and has been the same ever since, ordered the Modelbahn Union one at TINGS last year and when it turned up all was fine then for no reason at all stopped dead, puff of smoke from the body and dead ever since, then to top it off two more shorted the track at the weekend and have stopped working! Think i might stick to dummy ones in future.

One other thing that happened at the weekend which was mildly amusing was that we had a ceiling height mirror along the wall behind the layout, people thought that the layout continued in a U shape and a few poor soles nearly walked into the mirrored glass, i shouldn't laugh but it did tickle me not noticing there own reflection.

Cheers

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

Haha brilliant - I think that would have kept me entertained all day!  Good that they were concentrating on your model so hard they didn't notice themselves :D - good idea for seeing into the fiddleyard though!

I had a 153 short on the track at Cotgrave, it was completely dead and then started working again a few weeks later - very weird.  Are you going to get the 67s repaired?

Cheers

Simon

Yeah i will get them fixed, the jubilee one has been booked to go to DCC supplies for a while but i haven't got round to posting it yet.

I haven't tried the two that played up at the show yet so might have a look at the weekend. 

Good that they were concentrating on your model so hard they didn't notice themselves :D - good idea for seeing into the fiddleyard though!

It was the same at Tonbridge, people are always more interested in the fiddle yard. 

Cheers

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the Likes, the next outing for the layout is the Ukfield show at the end of Oct, 19th and 20th i think. 

Cheers

Graham.

hi thanks for the reply graham. unfortunately the uckfield weekend i'm help exhibit Warren Lane at peterborough. is it at any others exhibitons?

phil

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Its been a while since i've done anything on the layout but its off to the Uckfield exhibition in less than a fortnight so its time to make some small repairs and just check all is working ok.

Toady saw the postman deliver a few new additions to the fleet in the shape of this

post-6774-0-42679200-1381262896_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-54110400-1381262328_thumb.jpg

Thanks to a fellow RMwebber and my good lady buying me an early birthday present i'm now the proud owner of a CJM 59 in Hanson livery, It really is an excellent loco and looks fantastic, all i need to do now is source some suitable aggregate wagons.

I also recieved another Large logo 47, i purchased one at the start of the year which was to become an West Coast engine but i really quite like the large logo livery so will keep one and re-number it to 47847 whilst the other will be sent off to Mercig studios to become 47787 in WCRC colours. 

post-6774-0-47579300-1381262798_thumb.jpg

Cheers 

Graham.

Cheers Gents,

I had considered 3D printing for the JHA  wagons but also need specific bogies to, i shall investigate.

Thanks Scott, very pleased with the 59, the large logo livery really suits the 47 and i could quite happily build an 80's layout just to accommodate them.

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

I had considered 3D printing for the JHA wagons but also need specific bogies to, i shall investigate.

Mmm, someone's done some very detailed OO gauge ones, doubt they'd scale down well.

It'll look great on the layout regardless!

Evening all,

I've been doing a couple hours on the layout for the last few nights in preparation for the weekends exhibition, mainly track cleaning and loco servicing but the main job was to remove a troublesome set of points that were causing havoc with the automated loops, wasn't the easiest of jobs to do and space was a little tight but now all is fixed with the new point and re laid track on the two inner loops. Every night has seen at least three hours running/testing and so far so good.

I've also added another two Dapol 86's and a Farish 66 to the loco roster, In the last few months i've lost two 86's, one just stopped with a puff of smoke and the other ( a dummy ) has decided to short the track for an unknown reason?  when i saw some online for £50.00 i snapped them up, one will donate its chassis to the NSE body and the other will stay in EWS. 

post-6774-0-26460500-1381961745_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

Hi Graham looking good.

Funny you say about the 86 stopping with a puff of smoke...my Dapol 153 did exactly the same and never worked since.

And kept shorting its self out.

Anyway...the 59 looks really nice as do the largo logo 47's

Look forward to some more videos of the layout in action.

Jack

Archived