A U-Boat for Palmetto

Alcanman

Hi,

A new loco for Palmetto has been long overdue. I finally took the plunge and made my first order direct from the US, ordering an Atlas Gold (DCC sound) CSX U30B from Trainworld of Brooklyn, NY.

Chris Gilbert was impressed with their service and that was good enough for me. I made the order last Tuesday and my parcel arrived on Friday, I was able to track it's progress with UPS - excellent service!

I really like some of the older CSX paint schemes, and, although, a tad early for my 'modern era' layout, I couldn't resist this one.

In any event, there is only ever one loco on the layout, so I'll just simply go back to 1991. I have a pic of CSX U30B in this paint scheme

at Waycross, GA in 1991 and this was also the year of my last visit to Florida.

The loco performed great straight out of the box, slow speed control even better than my Atlas GP40-2. At step 1 (of 128) the loco can hardly be seen moving

and builds up speed ever so slowly up to step 15, approx 20mph. Sound is also great with a nice notch up at step 11, bell sound is good and horn very loud!

Here's a few pics.

post-7898-0-05373900-1328613933_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-56117900-1328613966_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-54402900-1328614003_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-95392800-1328614049_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

.... although, a tad early for my 'modern era' layout, I couldn't resist this one. In any event, there is only ever one loco on the layout, so I'll just simply go back to 1991.....

It comes to something when 1991 is 'too early' for "Modern Era".... man, I feel very old all of a sudden.... :(

I've never been all that keen on Alcos; a subtle influence of the Soo Line I realise, since they were never keen on them either..!! Certainly a bit of 'bulk' about that one, though Mal... was it Factory weathered, or have you been brave...? neat job either way.. it always takes me ages to pluck up courage to take paint to a new model!!

As another general question, brought to mind by the comment about it crawling well right from the off, what's the accepted wisdom regarding "running in" Factory-fitted DCC locos..?? It's always recommended to 'run-in' DC locos before fitting DCC, so I just wondered about when they come already equipped...?

I've never been all that keen on Alcos; a subtle influence of the Soo Line I realise, since they were never keen on them either..!! Certainly a bit of 'bulk' about that one, though Mal... was it Factory weathered, or have you been brave...? neat job either way.. it always takes me ages to pluck up courage to take paint to a new model!!

As another general question, brought to mind by the comment about it crawling well right from the off, what's the accepted wisdom regarding "running in" Factory-fitted DCC locos..?? It's always recommended to 'run-in' DC locos before fitting DCC, so I just wondered about when they come already equipped...?

Thanks. The loco is a General Electric U30B, not an Alco, or have I missed something? Yes, I plucked up the courage to do the weathering, I've messed up too many in the past with over zealous efforts.

I'd also be interested in a reply to your query regarding running-in locos. I could take my locos over to my brother's layout and run them in on his large tail-chaser.

Also must thank my bro for adding some nice Florida skies to these pics

post-7898-0-86097600-1328695325_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-33388600-1328695390_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Mal

Looking very good - makes me wish I was in Florida now rather then sitting in the office in London!!

I don't really run in USA locos as they seem to run fine straight out the box. No harm in doing so though if you have access to a continuous run layout. Its British locos that I find really do need running in.

Ian

Thanks. The loco is a General Electric U30B, not an Alco, or have I missed something?

No no... my mistake :( I realised long after I'd posted that the U-Boats were GE's.... which the Soo were even less keen on than Alcos I think, having bought 10 of them in a rash moment when EMD couldn't supply SD40s quick enough, and came to regret it... :rolleyes: sorry, will shut up about the Soo now...

The weathering is excellent - well done!!

Re CSX liveries, I do like the more recent scheme, with a white cab roof and yellow ends (whatever the official designation is!!), like this Athearn one I have :-

IMG_0019-1.jpg

(I got it from Chris Gilbert, in fact... the man is a bad influence!! :D ;) )

Thanks again, and the current CSX 'YN3' (yellownose three) paint scheme is very nice. You're right, Chris Gilbert is a bad influence, now I've bought one loco from the US, I'm looking for more in the different CSX paint schemes.

cheers,

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Nice U Boat! You can't beat Atlas, and I agree about Trainworld. I have visited their store a couple of times and had mail order off them, always good service.

Also I must offer another vote for the latest version of the CSX livery, reminds me of BR blue days.

414.jpg

A Christmas present from herself. It came from Colonial in Orlando. Really must add ditch lights...

No no... my mistake :( I realised long after I'd posted that the U-Boats were GE's.... which the Soo were even less keen on than Alcos I think, having bought 10 of them in a rash moment when EMD couldn't supply SD40s quick enough, and came to regret it... :rolleyes: sorry, will shut up about the Soo now...

The weathering is excellent - well done!!

Re CSX liveries, I do like the more recent scheme, with a white cab roof and yellow ends (whatever the official designation is!!), like this Athearn one I have :-

IMG_0019-1.jpg

(I got it from Chris Gilbert, in fact... the man is a bad influence!! :D ;) )

Dear Team,

FWIW, the dark-blue CSX scheme is often referred to as the "Dark Futures" scheme...

http://www.trainweb.org/cajonsubgifs/csxt_gifs.htm

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Also I must offer another vote for the latest version of the CSX livery, reminds me of BR blue days.

.... Really must add ditch lights...

Yes it reminds me of BR Blue, too. :)

Ditch Lights are becoming a serious omission from RTR 'modern' diesel models, I think. There certainly don't seem to be many produced with them already fitted, it seems to me, anyway. :(

• RMweb Gold

The three colour livery is a pain to paint on a model but it is my favourite CSX livery. I htink the 'dark future' is too much like the bad old days of Br when the rialways were in 'decline' in the Uk - well thats how I remember it anyway!!

I do have one 'dark future' HO loco but it hasnt been out the box yet.

Ian

I think my favourite is the YN2 "Bright Future" with the gold CSX brand on the side outlined in dark blue.

In real life, I hate to say it but the NS locos look classier all round - specially the clean, shiny, mainline locos (and they do keep them pretty clean, generally).......sorry Mal!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

My other half likes the NS livery the most - she actually has a couple of N scale locos we run in a consist on Santa Barbara now and again. She has the Roanoke live webcam on when we are at home (do have one CSX three colour loco aswell in N scale), so one day I am going to have to build a model of that location!

I had also been thinking that the current YN3 'Dark Future' scheme reminded me of BR Blue in the 80s, however, I guess it is essential for a contemporary CSX layout.

I must agree with Pete that the NS paint scheme looks classier especially after seeing them alongside CSX on the Fostoria webcam. They seem to be cleaner and those SD high hoods are amazing.

I've been looking for reference to find all the old CSX paint schemes. Thanks for the links, Pete & Prof. Any other links would welcome.

regards, Mal

• RMweb Gold

At the time I was building Fort Myers, most of these schemes were still in existence and managed to get quite a few shots of the different ones including some in Chessie, Atlantic Coast line black and Seaboard / Family Lines, let alone the various CSX ones till they settled on the blue gray yellow scheme.

Ian

Ian,

Those old predecessor paint schemes also look great. I only wish I'd taken some pics when I last visited Florida 20 years ago.

Fort Myers is one of my favourite layouts, I still have a copy of the CM in which it appeared. Incidentally, which (modifed) Walthers kit

did you use to build the juice plant warehouse?

thanks,

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Mal

It was the RJ Frost cold store one but I took the back of it and used it to extend the front then added a scratchbuilt section as its a low relief building.

Fort Myers still exists but the plan is to use the factory bit to make a new layout. The rest will be used on another layout at soem future point.

Ian

Hi,

Thought I'd share a couple more pics featuring my new U-Boat.

Firstly,the background of this pic has a local Northumberland beach masquerading as the Gulf Coast of Florida!

post-7898-0-73628800-1329057024_thumb.jpg

Next, #5340 departing Palmetto with plastic pellet hoppers

post-7898-0-22796000-1329057142_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

Archived