72XX - Arrival dates..............

M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

The other query is the smokebox door handle.If I change mine for the Markits version do I set the 'hands' to the same as the original.Prototype photos have them at different positions.

I hate to be a peasant, but what are the two holes for, on top of the boiler near the smokebox  join?

They show very prominently on the pre-production sample and I've only just noticed these on the one I got on Saturday.

I don't know but they are very prominent.

I hate to be a peasant, but what are the two holes for, on top of the boiler near the smokebox  join?

They show very prominently on the pre-production sample and I've only just noticed these on the one I got on Saturday.

I'm sure someone asked this before, probably on one of the earlier topics on these tanks. They are holes in the cladding for access to boiler washout plugs and are seen in this position on most GWR boilers.

Nick

ps. looking at mine, the holes look rather deep. There really should be a little square section piece in there to represent the head of the plug. It does rather look as if the plugs have been removed if you look too closely... :scratchhead:

pps: Kev_Lewis has posted a photo showing these in use.

The other query is the smokebox door handle.If I change mine for the Markits version do I set the 'hands' to the same as the original.Prototype photos have them at different positions....

The inner one should face downwards (it could conceivably face upwards, but I can't recall seeing an example). This one is actually attached to the dart which must be turned this way so that it locks behind the horizontal bar across the inside of the smokebox. The outer handle tightens the screw against the pull of the dart, so can end up in any position.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

The other query is the smokebox door handle.If I change mine for the Markits version do I set the 'hands' to the same as the original.Prototype photos have them at different positions.

I was looking at pics of 42xx handles in Rickard's Record - as you say, lots of different angles seem to be allowed. I normally set the innermost handle at 6 o'clock but the outermost can be either before or after the half hour, it would seem, but (I'd say) more often at about twenty to the hour.

• RMweb Gold

It does rather look as if the plugs have been removed if you look too closely... :scratchhead:

Perhaps when Hornby visited to measure the preserved one they were missing on the real thing.

• RMweb Premium

Lets hope so, it looks like new Hornby models are going to be a bit thin on the ground, however that said the 2-8-0/2Ts do not appear to be affected neither do the 'Stars'. It looks like the shunters wagons are here according to Hornby magazine, so it looks like a case of thankful for small mercies and if that 'small mercy' comes in the form of 7229 I will be happy.

The inner one should face downwards (it could conceivably face upwards, but I can't recall seeing an example).

Indeed they could and I have seen at least one photograph of a loco in service with the inner handle in the 'twelve o'clock' position.

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the smokebox handle if I may.Would I get away with just removing the hands flush,drill and fitting the new brass Markits over the stub thats left or should I remove that with the risk of damaging the smokebox with an errant blade scrape.

• RMweb Gold

The BR livery 5205s were due around this week as I posted a week or so ago, the remaining 72XX are currently due next month.

Mine arrived in the post earlier today.

Hi

Having looked at the photo of the GWR one. is the body green moulded plastic or is it painted?. 

Darren01

Surely somebody would have had a right good moan about it before now if it is green moulded plastic?

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the smokebox handle if I may.Would I get away with just removing the hands flush,drill and fitting the new brass Markits over the stub thats left or should I remove that with the risk of damaging the smokebox with an errant blade scrape.

The way I used to do it back in the dark ages Rob was to cut/smooth away everything except the round background boss in the middle of the door - this then left a fairly clear centre to aim at with the drill for first a pilot hole then one to size for the handles.  My main concern with these new locos is avoiding the rather nicely moulded lance cock which will inhibit the working area I suspect.

I think it may be black plastic, based on a green 28xx shell that I have. A scratch of the paint on that one revealed black plastic underneath.

Interesting that the finish looks so similar to the 28XX which, as you say, is green paint on black plastic. However, my 42XX is definitely green plastic with black paint on the smokebox. This is revealed when you remove the smokebox door handles and by scraping at various points beneath the saddle and inside the boiler. The safety valve bonnet appears from underneath to be black plastic but on top is painted to match the green plastic boiler.

Nick

How weird!

This reminds me of when Dapol went through quite a number of colours for some of their plastic kits. I think the "Deltic" moulds went from grey to ink blue to light blue, whereas the "Schools" went from green to grey.

Mine arrived from Antics today.....couldn't wait for my Hattons pre-order (though I have kept the order so as to get two) paid extra (about a tenner) then Antics asked for another extra tenner (£)

for shipping to Canada and then got I stung on import duty for $30....ouch !!!!

Sooooo a lot of dollar for one of my most wanted models......

Is it worth it....dunno jury is still out on that one.

The front frame is slightly bowed upwards (as most people seem to be finding) and it has all the same wishes the 42xx's have (handrails out further, sprung buffers , seperate door dart, rear cab bunker doors etc etc) but.....at least we have a ready to run one and that's the main thing when all is said and done , isn't it ?

Another B+ could try harder then....

Looks good to me too. I think in today's labour and economic climate these are worth £100 or so. I paid more for a weathered version and am happy.    No sign of frame warp in any I've seen.

Picked up my GWR 72xx from a nice little model shop in York on Sat' while talking to the owner I happened to say ' hope the 72's ok? It seems the 42's have problems'. On hearing this he opened the box ( after asking first) ran it on his test track and then gave it a really good looking over. There were a number of people in the shop but he still took the time to put my mind at rest. 

It was worth the train ride to find my 72xx meet a real model shop owner and oh yes stand for an hour in the sun to get into the NRM :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the late BR 7229, 2-8-2T I had to phone about my order today. The supplier said they were expecting Hornby to have a delivery in August and following distribution to them they should be sending them out early September.

Regarding the late BR 7229, 2-8-2T I had to phone about my order today. The supplier said they were expecting Hornby to have a delivery in August and following distribution to them they should be sending them out early September.

Looked in on M-Zone today they have 'one' BR 72 on show :sungum:

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I finally got to see mine last week.  I arrived at Home a while ago.

Well worth the wait.  Well worth the price.

What about a County Class Tank now please Hornby............

Archived