72XX - Arrival dates..............

M.I.B

Hornby's trade website currently estimating November.... We know what you are putting on your Christmas list!

For the sake of completeness, the 42xx and 52xx are currently expected in October. However, be aware that these are likely to change a 2012 progresses.

• RMweb Gold

They'll be here when they arrive (and I hope they do as budget provision has been made in my case). Only thing I'm not doing is pre-ordering the 42XX and 5205 (especially the latter) until details are a bit clearer; the 72XX is already lined up and will be firmed up on my next trip to 'ampshire in a couple of weeks time.

But it is a potentially big Western year with latest 2251 tender variant, the ROD, the Kernow weathered D63XX, possibly the Kernow D6XX, probably(?) the Dukedog, and the big tanks; so it's just as well I've got an insurance policy maturing in a few months time :D . And perhaps another instance of the subject Andy opened up last year about 'too much at once' although in this case being particularly pertinent to those with a certain modelling interest and not just the retailers.

Modelrail direct has the exact date of 19th November. Not sure where they spun that from! Is that Warley weekend or summat?

The Hornby trade website gives an exact date for expected arrival at Hornby, and that is where the 19th is quoted. However, this is more than likely to change due to any number of circumstances, such as a slow boat from China. So an accurate date is not relevant at this stage.

Guest dilbert

As Stationmaster mentioned, budget has also been set aside - whether it arrives 19th Nov, 19th Dec of this year or even during the early months of 2013 is not a problem - I hope for the retail trade it arrives at the right moment... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

From what I've read on here, it only needs Bachmann to throw in a few GWR engines to create negative equity in some quarters....

Strong stuff this insurance (policy), I hope (but it might get a little stretched if it's the right sort of coaches that are promised).

But talking about 'negative equity' and Hornby's profit warning I watched a chap in Alton the other day placing his pre-orders for Hornby releases this year, he was past £350 when I had to leave to collect Mrs Stationmaster from the dentist - and he was still going strong (and not ordering anything Western!).

• RMweb Premium

It is indeed an expensive year for followers of the righteous.

Not going for a 42XX,or a 52XX - just the 72XX and the ROD. Sounds painless when you say it like that - not the £250 it will be.

An extra £10 a week going into the pig (have given up the fags): a 72XX and ROD will be a fine reward.

Am considering the Dukedog but it would have to be changed to one of the named ones that survived until the end - TrePolandPen

It is indeed an expensive year for followers of the righteous..

Am considering the Dukedog but it would have to be changed to one of the named ones that survived until the end - TrePolandPen

I think you might want to check that, as I believe this one was the prototype for the class

and had smaller drivers than the rest of them.

Cheers, Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I hope they dont use that ruddy awful front pony design thats fitted to the LMS large tanks. I have a permenantly dead Fowler tank thanks to that and the fact its impossiable to rebuild a stripped down chassis that works again......

... and I think they are going to find the 2-8-2T chassis something of a challenge, after all Swindon did! We shall just have to wait and see what comes forth

But it is a potentially big Western year with latest 2251 tender variant, the ROD, the Kernow weathered D63XX, possibly the Kernow D6XX, probably(?) the Dukedog, and the big tanks.

And what with Bachmann about to announce a 94xx Pannier too................ooops did I just say that out loud!?!

Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

... and I think they are going to find the 2-8-2T chassis something of a challenge, after all Swindon did! We shall just have to wait and see what comes forth

The 28XXs I have are fine............ My Lima 61XX struggles occaisionally with the front truck tho.

Not fussed about the 94XX from Bachmann - I have a beautiful kit one (Ks?) made by M.I.B Senior.

• RMweb Gold

And what with Bachmann about to announce a 94xx Pannier too................ooops did I just say that out loud!?!

Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Andy.

Another load of junk will be appearing on Ebay then Andy. ;) Looking forward to the 72xx though.

• RMweb Premium

I think you might want to check that, as I believe this one was the prototype for the class

and had smaller drivers than the rest of them.

Cheers, Jeff

From the GWR Archive:

The only difference between 3265 and the production 'Earl' locomotives was the use of 3 feet 2 inches bogie wheels instead of 3 feet 8 inches.

If this does get purchased, it is timewise out of synch with just about everything else I have apart from some clerestories, a small County and a Dean Goods, all of which are liveried in a much earlier period. So it would have to be "timewarped" into the running sequence. With so much "flexibility" I guess I can ignore 2mm of front bogie wheel difference.

• RMweb Premium

Just received the latest Hornby newsletter and it includes confirmation of the numbers and liveries for these locos:

42XX:

R3123X - GWR Monogram 2-8-0T Running No. 4283

R3124X - Early BR 2-8-0T Running No. 4266

52XX:

R3125X - Great Western 2-8-0T Running No. 5283

R3126X - Late BR 2-8-0T Running No. 5243

72XX:

R3127X - Great Western 2-8-2T Running No. 7202

R3128X - Late BR 2-8-2T Running No. 7229

I think these are the same as what was quoted recently. The Hornby website is also updated, but for these X = DCC Fitted versions only. The DCC Ready webpages haven't been updated yet.

• RMweb Gold

R3127 7202 is a model of one of the being restored engines, in this case at Didcot.The second photo is in the livery I would have preferred.Its getting on for 40 years of waiting for preserving.

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/7202/7202.html

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/7202/7202pic_old.html

• RMweb Gold

Just received the latest Hornby newsletter and it includes confirmation of the numbers and liveries for these locos:

42XX:

R3123X - GWR Monogram 2-8-0T Running No. 4283

R3124X - Early BR 2-8-0T Running No. 4266

52XX:

R3125X - Great Western 2-8-0T Running No. 5283

R3126X - Late BR 2-8-0T Running No. 5243

72XX:

R3127X - Great Western 2-8-2T Running No. 7202

R3128X - Late BR 2-8-2T Running No. 7229

I think these are the same as what was quoted recently. The Hornby website is also updated, but for these X = DCC Fitted versions only. The DCC Ready webpages haven't been updated yet.

These running numbers are the same as those advised some weeks back to retailers and thus still will involve either inaccuracies on some locos or reflect a greater variety in mouldings that than we could have hoped for. 7202 is, I reckon, the best choice of a 72XX t use for research as it has been in the most complete state although it is currently in pieces at Didcot - and for the GWR/early BR modellers it gives a choice of 20 running numbers (and 18 - from my research so far - for those modelling their later BR years) although the presence or otherwise of the patching of the side tanks might present a problem (far easier to add than remove I think). If however they accurately model 7229 with its different motion bar cross frame and bunker rivet pattern it adds a choice of another 14 numbers :D but somehow I wonder if that will happen with a new model in the first year of issue. Doesn't worry me which version it is as renumbering is no problem (I hope - I'm assuming the plates will be available) so I'm definitely pre-ordering.

The choice of 5205 numbers is odd. 5383 reputedly never entered traffic - spending 3 years in store prior to rebuilding into 7208 while 5243 seems to have lasted well into the 1950s, and was possibly withdrawn, with a straight footplate. I'll b ehanging fire on ordering until I see what we'll actually be getting with these two.

The two 42Xx numbers stand up ok for their respective periods as locos which hadn't received outside steampipes or revised footplates so should present no problems in terms of correct detail so again, I think, quite safe to pre-order.

In any event having previously sounded the alarm bells one hopes that Hornby will have read this, or will read it, and will not spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar by choosing incorrect running numbers http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49734-gwr-8-coupled-tank-engines/

Archived