Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Depends on your supplier some include a clause in their price promise of "for a maximum of 12 months"  in other words what ever the price was 12 months prior to release date.

That's a fair one. Luckily my confirmatory reply from a well-known on-line supplier in Liverpool had the following as part of their note:

Pricing policy on Forthcoming Releases/On Order items

• The price you pay will be the current price advertised

That's a fair one. Luckily my confirmatory reply from a well-known on-line supplier in Liverpool had the following as part of their note: Pricing policy on Forthcoming Releases/On Order items

You can say " hattons" you know.

People talk now like they are on tv.other brands are available or the red box company or the well known internet auction site......

You can say " hattons" you know.

People talk now like they are on tv.other brands are available or the red box company or the well known internet auction site......

Thanks, then I will. I will also say that I think Bachmann have been very fair since they were asked to deal with the Class 40 problem. I've got 211 on order and have no worries.

The Class 40 Preservation Society has announced today that their stock of sound fitted D211 has arrived from Bachmann and will be on sale at their stand on East Lancs Railway, Bury this weekend.

Mail orders welcome !

• RMweb Gold

This is going to cause a sharp intake of breath and therolling of many pairs of eyes skywards......but can this be operated on DC and if it can what range of sound,if any,could be achieved ?Apologies for my heresy...but I only asked.The sound of a 40 remains in my ears from way back....1959.

• RMweb Gold

That's a fair one. Luckily my confirmatory reply from a well-known on-line supplier in Liverpool had the following as part of their note:

Pricing policy on Forthcoming Releases/On Order items

That looks ambiguous - do they mean current at the time of order or delivery?

This is going to cause a sharp intake of breath and therolling of many pairs of eyes skywards......but can this be operated on DC and if it can what range of sound,if any,could be achieved ?Apologies for my heresy...but I only asked.The sound of a 40 remains in my ears from way back....1959.

Nothing. If you've bought a DCC sound-fitted loco to run on DC, you've just chucked £100+ in the bin. It won't run on DC. Nada. Nothing. I had to remove the DCC chip from mine to ge it to run on DC on my rolling road. Sound? You'll get motor and gear whine, but that's it.

That looks ambiguous - do they mean current at the time of order or delivery?

That was posted on the response at the time of order. Anyway, as of today 211 is confirmed as in the post on its way from Hattons, so here's to a fault-free loco!

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered a Mauretania from my local - he's slightly more than some of the box shifters but he's round the corner and has bits, and paint, and kits etc etc so long may he prosper

Chris

I was in a model shop today (just buying paint and electrolube, not idly looking around, honest) when I heard the sound of a sound chipped loco coming from the back. When I asked they said it was a Bachmann 40 they'd got in for a customer and were checking it for him. Now I was told that the loco was on DC - certainly started up, idled and sounded like it was running at speed.  I haven't tried a sound chipped loco on dc myself but could be worth further investigation with Bachmann if you want to run on DC?  In any case it certainly sounded good imho.

I was in a model shop today (just buying paint and electrolube, not idly looking around, honest) when I heard the sound of a sound chipped loco coming from the back. When I asked they said it was a Bachmann 40 they'd got in for a customer and were checking it for him. Now I was told that the loco was on DC - certainly started up, idled and sounded like it was running at speed.  I haven't tried a sound chipped loco on dc myself but could be worth further investigation with Bachmann if you want to run on DC?  In any case it certainly sounded good imho.

In which case I'm astonished. I'm most intrigued by this.

Nothing. If you've bought a DCC sound-fitted loco to run on DC, you've just chucked £100+ in the bin. It won't run on DC. Nada. Nothing. I had to remove the DCC chip from mine to ge it to run on DC on my rolling road. Sound? You'll get motor and gear whine, but that's it.

A bit harsh - you certainly haven't 'chucked it in the bin'. If you can't use or don't want the sound, there are many happy buyers for the chip+speaker on ebay if you take it out and put the blanking plate in. Normally you will recoup enough money to ensure that you've only paid for the equivalent of a non-sound-fitted loco.

Good news that the latest green class 40 is now in stock however, I think after what's gone before I'll wait before buying one. Could I ask those who've just purchased one to please give us the lowdown on how they perform as this time its a lot more money we're all paying and I for one don't want to be left with egg on my face.

• RMweb Gold

In which case I'm astonished. I'm most intrigued by this.

I do run a Hornby sound-fitted rebuilt Bulleid 34040 on DC,not as contollable, admittedly,as it would be onDCC but nonetheless perfectly acceptable and very convincing. At the DEMU Show last year I asked the Kernow chaps whether I could run a 'Thumper' on DC only and was told I could.Hence,I posted the question. I would like to have sound because I think the Class 40 had the most distinctive sound of all diesels. In fact,the sound is its "signature". I think I will contact Barwell on this one.Thanks.

I do run a Hornby sound-fitted rebuilt Bulleid 34040 on DC,not as contollable, admittedly,as it would be onDCC but nonetheless perfectly acceptable and very convincing. At the DEMU Show last year I asked the Kernow chaps whether I could run a 'Thumper' on DC only and was told I could.Hence,I posted the question. I would like to have sound because I think the Class 40 had the most distinctive sound of all diesels. In fact,the sound is its "signature". I think I will contact Barwell on this one.Thanks.

In which case I'll gladly take my words back. Well done :-)

• Like 1

Thank you...but I'm not counting my chickens quite yet.Must check with the ever-helpful Barwell service dept.

I think the latest sound locos will run with 'noise' on dc, I had a blue sound peak, and that did. Similarly sound Hornby 50's.

Most interesting. So much for everyone telling me that the only way to get sound is to use DCC.

It only basic sound that you get, ie engine sounds at tick over when not moving increasing as speed increases.

It only basic sound that you get, ie engine sounds at tick over when not moving increasing as speed increases.

surely at tick over the track voltage on dc is nil so I don't understand how that works? I can see basic functions working as you drive the loco but not at tick over?
  • Like 1