Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Noticed on Olivia's website this morning, I had wondered if this might happen:

Bachmann 32-482Y. Class 40 145 “East Lancashire Railway” In BR Large Logo Livery.

Olivias Trains > Model Railway Trains > Bachmann Diesel & Electric Locomotives. > Bachmann Class 40. > Bachmann 32-482Y. Class 40 145 “East Lancashire Railway” In BR Large Logo Livery.

Limited Edition Exclusively for Olivia’s Trains.

Cancelled 15/03/2014.

We are very sorry that we have been unable to do this Limited Edition because we have been unable to reach an agreement with CFPS for the copyright . We are speaking with Bachmann for suitable alternatives we state this to a revised Class 40. If you have pre-ordered this we will get in touch early next week. This does not affect any of your Statutory Rights.

Should have got the agreement before advertising the loco. CFPS may want to do the model themselves along with D335 again. will buy from them if they do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tractor-37260 said:

Anyone else notice a couple of small issues on this model - no hole (both ends) in the light housing for the lower centre headcode disc to fit, both buffer beams also appear to have one (same) pipe missing - and these are not included in the detailing packet either.

Agree on the headcode disc hole - but on the matter of the hose I think Bachmann deserve plaudits on this model for their first ever production of a model delivered with the correct full set of hoses/leads already fitted. These are: (looking from head on)

MU connection lead - sweeps under r h buffer

Engine air control hoses - two smaller hoses outside buffers

Vacuum brake hose - to left of coupling hook

Steam heat hose - to right of vacuum hook

The hole for the "missing" hose certainly isn't lacking a hose on the model of D211 - it would be for the air brake hose, and locos were not dual braked until the late 60s, and even then not all locos. A loco in this livery of green with no yellow panel would never have been air brake fitted in BR revenue traffic.

And to confuse matters vacuum only locos may have gained an air hose if they underwent a bogie swap with a dual fitted loco

Easy matter to source and fit an air brake hose if you want to convert to a later dual braked model of course

Hope this helps - and having acquired the latest class 37 model the only hose this comes with is steam heat - no brake hose at all!!!!! So a big step forwards on this model - thanks Bachmann.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone managed to fit nose end handrails to D211 yet ?

I was looking at fitting them before sending to Lee's Locos but the PCB etc looks to be getting in the way

T-T

T-T

Check photos of green locos, most do not have the long hand rails on the outer edges. In fact most do not recieve these until well into the small yellow panel period. If D211 has the ladder it will not have the handrails.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/3859309509/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/3551822381/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50619197@N07/8076519751/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70607220@N04/6947228769/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/2432099142/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbet/3106746689/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbet/3156482425/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/2576583803/

A few carried a long handrail where the ladder had been. This remianed in place on some after the fitting of the outer handrails.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingfisher24/5406183074/

And finally a green one with the hand rails. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N08/3727093532/

T-T

Check photos of green locos, most do not have the long hand rails on the outer edges. In fact most do not recieve these until well into the small yellow panel period. If D211 has the ladder it will not have the handrails.

Thanks Clive but one is getting converted to 40122/D200 and one to be painted blue/yellow.

T-T

Edited by tinsley-toton

• RMweb Gold

Hi TT

D200/40122 carried unique lamp brackets - will you be doing those?

This is my guide photo

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=d200+heaton+mersey

Assumed it was a Stratford mod to take this headboard

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6689195775_4ab3a03bcf_z.jpg

But cant see any evidence of the originals on the corners of the nose ends in the early photo so may have been delivered like that. Also as Clive mentioned no corner hand rails in the early shot and missing the lamp bracket at the top of the nose end doors too which is there in the later shot. And did this loco ever gave a ladder I wonder?

Kind regards

Phil

Interesting comments. I found that on first using D211, it ran well with no problems - so far,  however the default CV settings of CV3/4/5/6 "out of the box" were far from ideal.  With the loco idling, using the 16/128SS button it moves off too quickly and ends up thrashing in 2-3 feet or less, and if the large brake button (Lenz) is then used, it ends up stopped with the engine still thrashing away. As shown below, the braking was set higher than the inertia as supplied.

As supplied    CV3 = 100 (range 0-255)  changed to  255

settings:         CV4 = 120 (    "     0-255)     left at        120

CV5 = 255 (    "     0-255)  changed to   128

CV6 = 128 (    "     0-255)          "             64

What is strange is that both the Bachmann loco leaflet and the Lok 4 manual show CV 5 & 6 as having a MAX value of 64. However on reading these CV's "out of the box" CV5 was 255 and CV6 128 - hence the near scale 200mph ? max speed. Perhaps this is an error in the Lok 4 manual, and Bachmann have simply just copied it ?

Nice sounds/multi start etc, although personally I don't like the air brake and the train brake ? linked on the one F key using on/off.

Anyone else notice a couple of small issues on this model - no hole (both ends) in the light housing for the lower centre headcode disc to fit, both buffer beams also appear to have one (same) pipe missing - and these are not included in the detailing packet either.

The thrash when stopped is a south west digital thing (classes 25 & 37 also do this off the top of my head) i'd suggest a Legomanbiffo re-blow. Usual disclamer, just a satisfied customer.

Regards

Roy

There is an interesting picture in the book " class 40's at work " showing D249 on the Master Cutler in the early 60's with small yellow panel and nose ladder. Not seen this before.

The same loco appears in " The power of the 40's" picture dated 16/3/1961 but without the SYP.

Edited by johnd

Hi TT

D200/40122 carried unique lamp brackets - will you be doing those?

This is my guide photo

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=d200+heaton+mersey

Assumed it was a Stratford mod to take this headboard

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6689195775_4ab3a03bcf_z.jpg

But cant see any evidence of the originals on the corners of the nose ends in the early photo so may have been delivered like that. Also as Clive mentioned no corner hand rails in the early shot and missing the lamp bracket at the top of the nose end doors too which is there in the later shot. And did this loco ever gave a ladder I wonder?

Kind regards

Phil

Thanks Phil

I'll have to see how it goes with the headboard brackets, not the easiest of things to make.

The first ten built did not have ladders fitted.

This is how I want mine to look, good old Mid 80s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eighties_british_rail/11367970896/in/photolist-bkPYZR-hcGKo5-b3zNgv-a9b4Vh-h9B3rb-adR7ty-akWUua-dySism-amdLMC-7LdGx6-dKGi1u-akFD72-ijxPGd-fanrhW-9jZXiQ-cnf1u7-btyQip-dErRax-dExez3-dZ4ZnQ-fchZMy-b4YKdK-bvUSNc-9u5PXd-cRsnJu-a98gjB-bdWbgk-bsmVRK-ccmUMQ-8DEppT-8172es-a8VVyi-9Dh9Te-7KV83j-bjY9GW-aUbzk6-bxSx3X-8DHwwA-9WbSJN-7L74Wc-ccrQ7N-acxDch-9AFv5H-aLymLv-dJPAm8-e2VR7u-dJV341-gx4Aj3-d82Nsm-dHERkz-dHERi2/

T-T

• RMweb Gold

Yup that's nice!

Etched brass horn grilles for you then?

I have some extreme etchings lamp irons which I shall try - if not happy with those then I have kept some lamp brackets off class 37 projects that I shall use

Need to squirt the yellow panel on though before I add detailing - will you have the nose end off to spray? Certainly easier that way with the 37s!

Phil

Posted to the Class 40 Appreciation Society Facebook page by Mersey Railway Photos - D279 Liverpool Lime Street Station 17th April 1962.

Facebook Group page: Class 40 Appreciation Society

1238847_578432032253153_1755003102_n.jpg

A great photo for reference on the loco, but it also brings back to me the general run-down look of Lime Street in those days - rubbish in the tracks, dirty platform edges, a grey gloom and those DMUs (or is one a Liverpool-Crewe EMU?) as the only other stock in sight. Then to those rolled up packages awaiting attention on the multi-coloured, multi-textured surface of the next platform, wrapped in brown paper, and not on a trolley despite the damp weather. Good stuff for modelling a gloomy Monday in the 60s. (My sister was born in Liverpool the day before, a Sunday). 

• Like 1

Looks like a trans pennine DMU to me - but as you say gloom could best be described as - well, gloomy!

Phil

It was a fantastic echo chamber of a place with steam locos as they blew off! 

A further  observation  on the  above  mentioned  'sound  stutter'   I tried  running  the  loco  very  slowly on speed  step 1  which  is VERY slow, to see what happened  when it  reached  the  point on the  gentle-ish curve  where the  stutter occurs,, nothing  happened  loco  continued  without  any  stutter   occuring, tried this  a few  times with  the  same  results,  BUT   then increased  speed to full  and  the  stutter  occured again,  its  a strange  one,  just  thinking  as  i  type  this  I will turn the  loco round  and  run  it  with  the other  cab  leading to see what happens!

Edited  later

further  to  this  post  see my  later  post  re  the  way  the connections to the  speaker is  set  up  by springy contacts in the  inside of the locos  roof,  this  may  have  a  bearing on   intermittent  sound  loss. 

Yes, I found the same thing with my Class 40, and turning it round cured the problem! Obviously a pick up problem as you suggest.

Incidentally, on first running the loco out of the box, it ran with a slight jerkiness which 'running in' did not cure. Tried the Loksound trick of setting CV54 to 0 then 1, loco ran off quickly for over a metre and, 'hey presto' now 'smooth as a baby's' ! The crazy top speed has been reduced also.

Well yes, hats off to Hattons - received mine this morning after yesterday's e-mail confirming despatch, and all at the pre-order price of £128...!

But, unboxed and onto the track and the noise started straight away... but a loud screeching, nothing a class 40 ever made....

A quick re-address of the chip, all quiet then the same screeching again...

Not wanting to risk serious damage, removed from the track...did I perhaps note a slight burning electrical smell as well ?

Anyway, will be sending it back - Before reboxing, I did take a look around the wheels, etc, no sign of white grease, but possibly light oiling - Has this already been 'remedied' yet it's still faulty...?

Hatton's also honoured my early pre-order price, very impressed.

Interesting comments. I found that on first using D211, it ran well with no problems - so far,  however the default CV settings of CV3/4/5/6 "out of the box" were far from ideal.  With the loco idling, using the 16/128SS button it moves off too quickly and ends up thrashing in 2-3 feet or less, and if the large brake button (Lenz) is then used, it ends up stopped with the engine still thrashing away. As shown below, the braking was set higher than the inertia as supplied.

As supplied    CV3 = 100 (range 0-255)  changed to  255

settings:         CV4 = 120 (    "     0-255)     left at        120

CV5 = 255 (    "     0-255)  changed to   128

CV6 = 128 (    "     0-255)          "             64

What is strange is that both the Bachmann loco leaflet and the Lok 4 manual show CV 5 & 6 as having a MAX value of 64. However on reading these CV's "out of the box" CV5 was 255 and CV6 128 - hence the near scale 200mph ? max speed. Perhaps this is an error in the Lok 4 manual, and Bachmann have simply just copied it ?

Nice sounds/multi start etc, although personally I don't like the air brake and the train brake ? linked on the one F key using on/off.

I have had a bit of a session this afternoon/evening seeing if I could do any fine tuning to an out of the box D211 sound version. I am no DCC expert and found it interesting to change just one CV and see what happened, and then develop relationships between start voltage/acceleration, etc.

If it is useful to others, I have now set up the following and will see if it can get even better. Also, this of course is like training a dog. I want this loco to run in the lower speed ranges to arrive and depart from a terminus before running for a short distance through inner suburbs and then entering a fiddle yard. There is no long range running at very high speed. I do have the characteristics set up now to move slowly and couple up, pull away and accelerate sufficiently for the run available, and then I halt in the FY on the red button. So, that being the case, these are the key CVs I have set so far. Still need to learn and play with the EMF area presumably:

CV2: 11;  CV3: 97;  CV4: 135;  CV5: 128; CV6: 68.

Good luck

aac 

Just when I thought all was well on the class 40 front....

Just weathered and renumbered a 141 t0 142, cleaned the wheels and gave her a test run. Couldn't get any lights to function. Tried a different chip...lights work fine, so it's not the loco. Should mention the chip is a Legoman soundchip. Here's the strange bit. Tried the Lego chip in another 40...works fine! Put the chip back into 142, no lights. There seems to be some issue between the chip and this particular chassis, anyone? 

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a trans pennine DMU to me - but as you say gloom could best be described as - well, gloomy!

Phil

Mike.

I would say that both Mike and Phil are right as there is one of each next to each other......mind you the Derby could be a 4 car suburban :scratchhead: (115 in new money) :declare:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Noticed on Olivia's website this morning, I had wondered if this might happen:

Bachmann 32-482Y. Class 40 145 “East Lancashire Railway” In BR Large Logo Livery.
Olivias Trains > Model Railway Trains > Bachmann Diesel & Electric Locomotives. > Bachmann Class 40. > Bachmann 32-482Y. Class 40 145 “East Lancashire Railway” In BR Large Logo Livery.

Limited Edition Exclusively for Olivia’s Trains.

Cancelled 15/03/2014.

We are very sorry that we have been unable to do this Limited Edition because we have been unable to reach an agreement with CFPS for the copyright . We are speaking with Bachmann for suitable alternatives we state this to a revised Class 40. If you have pre-ordered this we will get in touch early next week. This does not affect any of your Statutory Rights.

Why is a BR livery copyright to the CFPS? Or is it just the nameplate?

I have had a bit of a session this afternoon/evening seeing if I could do any fine tuning to an out of the box D211 sound version. I am no DCC expert and found it interesting to change just one CV and see what happened, and then develop relationships between start voltage/acceleration, etc.

If it is useful to others, I have now set up the following and will see if it can get even better. Also, this of course is like training a dog. I want this loco to run in the lower speed ranges to arrive and depart from a terminus before running for a short distance through inner suburbs and then entering a fiddle yard. There is no long range running at very high speed. I do have the characteristics set up now to move slowly and couple up, pull away and accelerate sufficiently for the run available, and then I halt in the FY on the red button. So, that being the case, these are the key CVs I have set so far. Still need to learn and play with the EMF area presumably:

CV2: 11;  CV3: 97;  CV4: 135;  CV5: 128; CV6: 68.

Good luck

aac 

Just tried some refinements to CVs: 

CV2: 10; CV3: 104; CV4: 125; CV5: 128; CV6: 70; CV 63: 55 ( Re-set the volume (CV63) On The Main, with a Class 20 next to it. This way they are about the same tolerable volume).

Has anyone else tried settings they could offer up?

Has anyone any other settings that 

To get back to the current bodyshell can anyone measure the depth from the cantrail as I want to compare with the old model,

does not look much different, before purchase.

It's 22.5mm compared to 21mm on the older model, doesn't sound a lot but makes a big difference when looking at the radiator grilles, below the cab windows etc.

A much better bodyshell.

T-T