BRM Reader Survey

Dicky W

post-1481-0-92771000-1328781615_thumb.jpg

We're currently conducting a reader survey and would appreciate as much feedback as possible from those who view and post on RMWeb as to what you think of British Railway Modelling currently and how we can improve it. As an incentive for you to spend a few minutes of your time there's a competition to win one of 20 prizes.

You cent get straight there from this link:

https://www.model-ra...M_reader_survey

Looking forward to your feedback!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Done, but it doesn't ask the real question - why don't I buy?

thin paper, and stapled. I know it's silly, but it just doesn't have the "handle" (as my wife who used to work in clothing manufacture says) of Hornby Mag. MR suffers from the stapled or stiched issue too, pages fall out from the middle very soon after purchase.

Done, but it doesn't ask the real question - why don't I buy?

thin paper, and stapled. I know it's silly, but it just doesn't have the "handle" (as my wife who used to work in clothing manufacture says) of Hornby Mag. MR suffers from the stapled or stiched issue too, pages fall out from the middle very soon after purchase.

We haven't had a stapled maagzine since 2007 and were 'perfect bound' (ie: with a spine) before Hornby mag first appeared!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting but it doesn't ask what you don't like about BRM or why you don't buy it (and didn't give me a chance to say why I have just let my subscription lapse - nor has the mag itself taken any interest in losing a subscriber). I don't claim to be a 'special case' in any way but it does seem odd that there's no follow-up with those who have moved away or maybe I'm a rarity in ceasing to subscribe? But to me research like this survey suggests the mag might be worried about its position and appeal in the marketplace?

I stopped subscribing, once I'd realised I not read the last years’ worth of issues - it just stopped appealing to me. I'd unwrap the mag, take a quick look through it, and then file it on the shelf for later. Later never came.

I've done the survey, but as Mike and Redgate says, where's the "why did you stop subscribing" question?

I've done the survey, but as Mike and Redgate says, where's the "why did you stop subscribing" question?

Ditto:

I never actually subscribed (never did to any of the mags), but at one time bought most issues of BRM. I stopped buying when the mag seemed to turn into one long advert for the Warners shows...

• RMweb Premium

15. What period do you model?

t.gifWhat period do you model?

Historic

Pre-Grouping

Big Four

British Railways

Modern Image

t.gifPrivatisation

Sigh. Would that be 1950s Modern Image or 1990s Modern Image?

I rarely buy it as it's always in a plastic bag. What's on the cover isn't enough for me to decide if it's worth buying or leaving on the shelf.

The issues I have seen do have decent coverage of N Gauge - especially the reviews. Shame none of the prizes are in scales other tham 4mm.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

I agree some of the questions are a bit misleading regarding the modelling period but it's done now I also agree why have it in a bag I'm seriously considering cancelling my subscription as its losing its way again I feel to many narrow gauge and not enough 1970's to 1990's modern image period layouts.

There rant over

There is normally a opened edition in Smiths.

Sorry content is poorest of all the current magazines. Normally photographs are very strange colours and I agree paper is also poor quality.

Reviews are improving now that Tony Wright is doing some again. Havent seen a decent Loco build in one for a long time. Nice to see a LNER Triplet build in current issue.

Hopefully things will improve ?

Guest Natalie Graham

I just bought it for, I think, the first time ever. Years ago we used to get a proof copy every month as an advertiser, but I haven't read it since then. I have never bothered as it was in the plastic bag so I had no idea if the content was up to what was on the cover. This month's Modeller didn't appeal so I thought I would give it a look. On first reading i was really impressed. There are some good constuctional articles in there and the articles are long enough to be useful rather than just brief coverage. I could well buy it again now, although not being able to see if the interesting looking article on the cover is actually a decent length article or half a page does put me off.

Sorry, did someone mention bags. :rtfm: :sarcastichand:

I'll certainly find some of the resultant data of interest particularly the latter questions so I'd encourage you to particpate; I'll just have to hoik Dicky's arm up his back a little to give me an insight. :)

There's some decent prizes in there which it would be nice to see end in in the hands of an RMweb participant.

• RMweb Gold

I know this is a touchy subject as it's been round and round elsewhere but I have to say the fact it's bagged is a big turnoff. Whenever I've bought bagged issues of ANY model mag in the past I've learned on most occasions to my cost it's because there really wasn't that much interest in it for me.

• RMweb Gold

I'll certainly find some of the resultant data of interest particularly the latter questions so I'd encourage you to particpate; I'll just have to hoik Dicky's arm up his back a little to give me an insight. :)

There's some decent prizes in there which it would be nice to see end in in the hands of an RMweb participant.

I quite agree with your point about some of the questions Andy because they could give some interesting results about the way people now obtain information - or want to obtain it? Might we even see BRM becoming an online mag without the printed version I wonder (not as good as MI tho').

And yes the prizes are attractive but as I could see no sign of the pretty little padlock symbol (possibly just myopia on my part?) I refrained from completing the necessary personal detail, there are just too many norty folk out there nowadays harvesting such data and i'm disinclined to give them too clear a run (having already been 'harvested' once).

It's bagged !!!!

I have bought some BRMs in the past, but I want to know that the mag has something I can get my teeth into, and it is not just another apple green paradise !!! Sorry but yes I am biased towards the London Midland.

Yes, I know we have done bags before so I'll leave it there, but I am also thinking that it is very rare I buy a modelling mag now at all.

I'll try and participate in the survey though, even though clicking on the laptop doesn't seem to work for me.

EDIT

doh, I saw the link underneath, and have just completed it. A pretty reasonable questionnaire, except you are restricted to just one answer on some questions.

• RMweb Premium

Survey completed but as others have pointed out it didn't ask if I'd previously subscribed and why I'd stopped subscribing.

The answers are:

Yes, probably for 2 or more years

Because (in common with other mags) I got fed up with the self publicity of it's own events, the pushing of 'chosen' products (although not the worst offender), a perceived bias towards big apple green locos and a reduction in proper modelling articles.

As for buying the odd copy from Smiffs, I must admit (like many others) that the b*g puts me off. The copies I have bought have been a result of reading reviews / content in the mags section on here and finding something that interests me.

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree with your point about some of the questions Andy because they could give some interesting results about the way people now obtain information - or want to obtain it? Might we even see BRM becoming an online mag without the printed version I wonder (not as good as MI tho').

And yes the prizes are attractive but as I could see no sign of the pretty little padlock symbol (possibly just myopia on my part?) I refrained from completing the necessary personal detail, there are just too many norty folk out there nowadays harvesting such data and i'm disinclined to give them too clear a run (having already been 'harvested' once).

Dam I didnt notice the lack of the good old padlock symbol oh dear here goes loads of emails and telephone calls !! :negative: :banghead:

I find that electronic surveys frequently fail to enable the surveyee to answer questions the way they'd want to, but that's rarely the point of surveys. Survey done though... as best as could be.

I thought the personal details with no promise of not sending data on... and insecure was as discussed in the posts above... it prevents entering the comp for the prizes, which is a shame and it could have been done better, but I'm not sure whether any other surveys that offer this "carrot" are necessarily any better... I left this all out, but I was still able to register my opinion, which I hope will be of help. Sometimes, a "do you have any other comments" box is at the end of such surveys; it would have been nice to see such an option here.

Jon

Interesting but it doesn't ask what you don't like about BRM or why you don't buy it (and didn't give me a chance to say why I have just let my subscription lapse - nor has the mag itself taken any interest in losing a subscriber). I don't claim to be a 'special case' in any way but it does seem odd that there's no follow-up with those who have moved away or maybe I'm a rarity in ceasing to subscribe? But to me research like this survey suggests the mag might be worried about its position and appeal in the marketplace?

Must agree with Mike. It would have been useful, I would have thought, for BRM to find out what readers don't like about the mag. and why (if they have) stopped their subscription. I have and no one has asked me why.

Some relevant points have been raised in the topic about raising responses not sought in the survey. I can advise that it's BRM's intention to provide a channel for making detailed responses in more personal reasons for not buying or subscribing which should be available next week as everyone's committed to the Doncaster show at the moment. They are listening!

Archived