EBay madness

Marcyg

The box shows sign of wear, but is complete.

A bit dented.

A few removed sticker marks.

Price sticker.

Insert missing.

Flaps present.

Window complete, but knocked about.

Please note that any charge for postage includes the stamp, packing/envelope, time, petrol/parking/bus fare/shoe leather to get to the Post Office.

Surely some space saving was possible here by using the single word which begins with 'c' and ends in 'rap' ?

I reckon this box of landfill will go for something silly.  Just a feeling...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380717284018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yes, the use of 'shouty' capitals is annoying - and I agree that this will go for more than I think its worth. But I can see straight away that there are a lot of parts in those locos that can very usefully be stripped and used as spares for those of us luddites that like running, fixing and restoring old Triang locos, and at the £15 start price it was well worth it. A far cry from the likes of our old friend Cartmel listing old A1As at £59.95 - and not 'landfill'!!!!! 

I reckon this box of landfill will go for something silly.  Just a feeling...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380717284018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That depends on what you consider 'silly'. When I looked just now the bidding was over £45 with 4 days left. That is less than £2 an item. I also note the current high bidder is some form of dealer who is out to make a profit. If you individually price each item and then bid accordingly then you will outbid the current bidder.

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm impressed by Nedrahn's dedication in reading through this thread seemingly from the start, which would explain the twelve day time lag between perceived insult and the post above, but was it really worth it? Spending some time cultivating a thicker skin might have better long tern benefits.

Or perhaps finding the duplicates in the 'new' jokes thread!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the use of 'shouty' capitals is annoying - and I agree that this will go for more than I think its worth. But I can see straight away that there are a lot of parts in those locos that can very usefully be stripped and used as spares for those of us luddites that like running, fixing and restoring old Triang locos, and at the £15 start price it was well worth it.

Many months worth of selling the individual parts, to come. I can't wait!

I think some people have gone a little bit mental when bidding on Hornby's archive stock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/OO-Gauge-/122601/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&LH_Complete=1&_armrs=1&_ssn=hornbyhobbiesltd

I dont see why any of the items differ to any general releases? Fair enough, they may be a couple of years out of production, but 250 notes for a Hornby A4? With no sound? Ow!

Edited by 84A

I wonder how much the offer was for?

Hmm, well if it's realistic I'd say it might be worth about 50 quid? Some damage to one of the power cars, but it is a rare set (probably worth somewhere around 70-100 if perfect).

Certainly, it's not worth anywhere near the buy it now price!

I think some people have gone a little bit mental when bidding on Hornby's archive stock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/OO-Gauge-/122601/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&LH_Complete=1&_armrs=1&_ssn=hornbyhobbiesltd

I dont see why any of the items differ to any general releases? Fair enough, they may be a couple of years out of production, but 250 notes for a Hornby A4? With no sound? Ow!

In the case of the A4s, part of it is going to be the fact that you will have trouble finding any new ones available at all at the moment - if you look at how much they are going for on ebay generally it's quite high.

Thank you haven't laughed so hard in ages. Free postage though... tempting...

Selling boxes is not entirely ridiculous - I've done it before! But they do need to be in pretty much perfect condition - don't think there will be too much competition for a battered Lima one.

But perhaps I'd better keep an eye on it - I have a selection of similar ones if people are daft enough to buy them,...

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261287346433?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And this is one of the least-sought-after types (each train only needs one TGS)!

Remind me again why Bachmann won't release a Class 166 in FGW livery? Oh yes:

The versions we have produced in First Great Western livery do not reflect the current livery application but earlier versions of it before the ‘dynamic lines’ were added.

We are at present unable to reproduce the First Great Western ‘Dynamic lines’ livery which utilises a graduated tint. Graduated tints start at say 5% and move upwards to say 100%. Our Tampo printing process allows us to produce any percentage of tint but it has to be consistent across the who printing area. At present the technology we employ does not enable us to produce a totally accurate livery for First Great Western.

We have our team working on how we can reproduce this complex livery with its graduated tints but so far the technology to do so is not available. We are not the only manufacturer who face this problem with the current FGW livery.

Blast, could someone from Margate please lend some kit to Bachmann?

Edited by C&WR

In the case of the A4s, part of it is going to be the fact that you will have trouble finding any new ones available at all at the moment - if you look at how much they are going for on ebay generally it's quite high.

I agree, but still, £250 for an A4 - i'm just glad I bought mine a few years ago now (mind you, I dont have the purple one).

Isn't there supposed to be a credit crunch still, or are we passed all that?

Edited by 84A

Remind me again why Bachmann won't release a Class 166 in FGW livery? Oh yes:

Blast, could someone from Margate please lend some kit to Bachmann?

The HSTs are painted plain blue with just the coloured lines stuck on as vinyls. I've not seen a 166 for ages, but it sounds like they are the same as the TPX 185s, where the whole train is covered in vinyl, with the shade of blue getting lighter from bottom to top. I can quite believe that this would be very difficult to reproduce on a model.

EDIT: Just had a look on Flickr and the 166s do indeed appear to have the same graded blue livery as the 185s.

Edited by valeofyork

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the pre-ordering/buying frenzy that seems to accompany any new model, I'd say the credit crunch never happened at all.....

The credit crunch only happened to those that didn't have any money in the first place! :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

The HSTs are painted plain blue with just the coloured lines stuck on as vinyls. I've not seen a 166 for ages, but it sounds like they are the same as the TPX 185s, where the whole train is covered in vinyl, with the shade of blue getting lighter from bottom to top. I can quite believe that this would be very difficult to reproduce on a model.

EDIT: Just had a look on Flickr and the 166s do indeed appear to have the same graded blue livery as the 185s.

You'd probably need some sort of newfangled technology, like waterslide transfers..... :sungum:

You'd probably need some sort of newfangled technology, like waterslide transfers..... :sungum:

Crikey, I'm only just getting back into modelling.  I have enough bother with letters, numbers, loading gauge stuff & the like without trying to do a whole train body!