Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

There are a few nice things in that lot....including a lighted TTR Brakevan and a few "operating" dump-hoppers, electric points, levers, instructions, Playcraft Loco Shed, etc, and even some Tri-ang (Which won't couple to the TTR and Playcraft, which both have "PECO" type couplings)...etc. But the price?

BUT the "Rare" B.R. (Ex LNER) Pytchley Loco has a USA style "Switcher" slope back tender, coupled on back to front! (There is some TTR USA style rolling stock to go with that tender...)

NOW, just why do people do this? With Tri-ang Hornby locos it is not rocket science, there is only one logical way to couple the loco and tender! BUT, still it happens, the hook ofthe rear tender coupling engaged in the hole in the loco to tender drawbar! HOW do they think you couple any rolling stock to a downward pointing pin?

(Other brands of model railway equipment, in all gauges, are also prone to this effect....)

AND, it is not just "beginners", some "model" shops do this as well on their displays! (OK, mostly those "model" shops that are really Toy Shops or outlets like Nauticalia (They do Boat Things, but the one (Now Gone) in Chester had Hornby Railways as well....and they were Guilty as Charged m'Lud....

(Rant Over! ;) )

Also available from the same seller, a nice boxed lot of Tri-ang Railways. Davey Crockett Loco (With Smoke), tender and two coaches....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-R358s-2-6-0-OLD-TIME-LOCOMOTIVE-DAVY-CROCKETT-R233-TENDER-R488-COACHES-/191198687714?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c845471e2

Nice, but the price?.......

There are a few items of interest. Pytchleys usually make a reasonable sum (more's the pity as I'm looking for one!) especially if they have the right tender! - the body of the U.S. switcher tender unscrews so it's easy to replace the wrong way round*. The box car, caboose and gondola look reasonable, but it's hard to tell from the small photo and they're not worth a lot anyway ( I've bought a box car and gondola recently for £5 and £2 respectively - I always wanted these as a boy....). The Playcraft loco shed is not quite as valuable as the Dublo one and the two Tri-ang gimmick wagons are sought after (pity the rocket is missing), The Trix tinplate wagons are pretty worthless (they can be found as cheaply as 50p) and the diecast hoppers and brake vans tend to suffer from corrosion (and wear to the pickup shoes (as in this case), but again are not expensive. Probably the rarest items are the Dinky hoarding** and the cars with the the Playcraft transporter.

* Very fiddly screws! **Not particularly rare, but almost invariably has a exorbitant price tag. Repros are available....

The Crockett set seems to have been priced Gostude style too, but, seeing the seller seems to usually deal in toy cars die-cast scale vehicles, ridiculous prices are the order of the day.

In its day, Modelzone (at least the ones I visited) was good at displaying locos with the tender the wrong way round - obvious I would have thought, even to those with no interest in railways. :scratchhead:

The Triang Toys container version was part of the Freightmaster set from the mid to late 'sixties so is hardly uncommon, though I have a feling the Kellogg's container version is much rarer.

Over £100 for a container seems pricey (the 'Tri-ang' container is common enough (I paid 50p for mine) and the wagons can't be more than a couple of quid).

When the annual awards ceremony comes round I'd like to propose an Inept Photography category.

This is the first entry:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-DCC-0-6-0-Tank-J83-/161346242562?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2590fc4802

The starting price seems just a tad optimistic too!

EDIT

Surprise! Surprise! It didn't sell!

I didn't notice the first time that it's DCC fitted, but that only further illustrates the quality of the insertion (and it's still too expensive!)

Edited by Il Grifone

When the annual awards ceremony comes round I'd like to propose an Inept Photography category.

This is the first entry:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-DCC-0-6-0-Tank-J83-/161346242562?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2590fc4802

At least the loco is the right way up!  The number of ebay entries I see with the photos upside down amazes me - dont people think how daft it looks to have it the wrong way up - and how easy it is to correct?

• RMweb Premium

At least the loco is the right way up!  The number of ebay entries I see with the photos upside down amazes me - dont people think how daft it looks to have it the wrong way up - and how easy it is to correct?

And it was actually in focus, which is more than some people manage.

I'm kinda of confused by what he is saying about the loco. It says sold as spares or repairs, yet runs when power is supplied to the motor. Which means, I think, when on the rails like all locos or anything with wheels and a workable motor does. 

I'm kinda of confused by what he is saying about the loco. It says sold as spares or repairs, yet runs when power is supplied to the motor. Which means, I think, when on the rails like all locos or anything with wheels and a workable motor does. 

Could be faulty pickups? works ok when power to motor but not working on the rails - or even just really dirty wheels.

??? Seems pretty clear to me,  "sold as spares or repair wires need soldering back on motor" and as the ad has not been edited at this time, must have been written there when you looked at it....

Edited by Titan

There are a few items of interest. Pytchleys usually make a reasonable sum (more's the pity as I'm looking for one!) especially if they have the right tender! - the body of the U.S. switcher tender unscrews so it's easy to replace the wrong way round*. The box car, caboose and gondola look reasonable, but it's hard to tell from the small photo and they're not worth a lot anyway ( I've bought a box car and gondola recently for £5 and £2 respectively - I always wanted these as a boy....). The Playcraft loco shed is not quite as valuable as the Dublo one and the two Tri-ang gimmick wagons are sought after (pity the rocket is missing), The Trix tinplate wagons are pretty worthless (they can be found as cheaply as 50p) and the diecast hoppers and brake vans tend to suffer from corrosion (and wear to the pickup shoes (as in this case), but again are not expensive. Probably the rarest items are the Dinky hoarding** and the cars with the the Playcraft transporter.

* Very fiddly screws! **Not particularly rare, but almost invariably has a exorbitant price tag. Repros are available....

The Crockett set seems to have been priced Gostude style too, but, seeing the seller seems to usually deal in toy cars die-cast scale vehicles, ridiculous prices are the order of the day.

In its day, Modelzone (at least the ones I visited) was good at displaying locos with the tender the wrong way round - obvious I would have thought, even to those with no interest in railways. :scratchhead:

Over £100 for a container seems pricey (the 'Tri-ang' container is common enough (I paid 50p for mine) and the wagons can't be more than a couple of quid).

The Kelloggs container was made for a special train set used as prizes in a Kelloggs competition, and not generally available. BUT I am now wondering about the quantity made, as quite a few seem to be floating around...

Maybe some extra labels or containers "escaped" from the factory?

Edited by Sarahagain

The Kelloggs container was made for a special train set used as prizes in a Kelloggs competition, and not generally available. BUT I am now wondering about the quantity made, as quite a few seem to be floating around...

I expect it will become a serial....

Another victim of Hornby's 2014 price increases,

This little terrier is priced at...drum roll..... £444 !!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2406-Class-A1X-32635-BRIGHTON-WORKS-MINT-BOXED-/221473558385?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3390da4f71

Also from the same seller, this Lima 27 at £399 !!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-205252-27037-in-BR-blue-livery-MINT-BOXED-/221473549253?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3390da2bc5

(It joins company with that relisted £549 9f...) -nice model wonder why he had no takers... :-)

Looking at his trading name I think he had too much of the later.

• RMweb Premium

It may be in focus, but an in-focus silhouette isn't a reliable pointer to completeness and condition!

I agree completely - but it could have been an out-of-focus silhouette....

• Like 1

It wouldn't be the first time such things have happened.

Looking at his trading name I think he had too much of the later.

Possibly too much 'Château Gostude'!

(Our friend seems to have set an unfortunate precedent).

• RMweb Premium