EBay madness

Marcyg

That one is really only fit for the bin (you might be able to salvage a few parts, but........) Shift the decimal point one place to the right and it would still be too much! (IMHO)

Surely you mean to the LEFT, one point to the right would push the price to the totally unbelievable !

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I see your point now after looking at that auction.

I will let you know what state my New MIB Bachmann wagons from him are in when they arrive.

The prices seemed reasonable, £10.50 to £11.50 for discontinued part numbers, free postage.

Jim

Hmm, reply quoting original post doesn't seem to work for me.

Perhaps he put the decimal point in the wrong place and intended it to be one place to the right. :jester:

....The prices seemed reasonable, £10.50 to £11.50 for discontinued part numbers, free postage....

£5 each for what is a secondhand wagon would be reasonable. £10.50-plus is surely taking the mickey, regardless of whether the item is discontinued or not. I don't think even new retail equivalents sell for quite that much (unless you are a tourist with money to burn and go to Hamleys).

Postage may be free, but Greg is still making a sizeable profit out of you because he's sending it all in the same box, so he only pays small parcel rate once.

£5 each for what is a secondhand wagon would be reasonable. £10.50-plus is surely taking the mickey, regardless of whether the item is discontinued or not. I don't think even new retail equivalents sell for quite that much (unless you are a tourist with money to burn and go to Hamleys).

Postage may be free, but Greg is still making a sizeable profit out of you because he's sending it all in the same box, so he only pays small parcel rate once.

Well, the box has just arrived from Gostude, very well packed.

The contents are exactly the same as as if I'd bought them new off the shelf at my local model shop, no sign of them being opened or second hand.

So I'm happy paying new prices for them even if they are old stock.

Can you tell me where I can get them new for cheaper than that ?, I know Hatton's are often down to around £7 but I've exhausted all the current Bachmann part numbers that are correct for my region and timescale.

As I have this thing about not having more than one item of stock with the same running numbers (and I've not got to the stage of renumbering) I can now only collect the older part numbers where I can find them.

None of the mail order retailers seem to have much older stock, unless I've missed one.

Many thanks,

Jim

Edited by JimHearne
  • Like 3

Quick update............Still nothing...!!!

This guy paid £226 on the 25th Sept for an item "collection only"............its now the 8th Oct.......heard absolutely nothing from him..........bizarre..??  

Contact him giving him 7 days to pick the item up or they will be placed outside so he can pick them up at his leisure, if he wants you to store them for him then you will charge him at a rate of £35 per day or part there of.

The contents are exactly the same as as if I'd bought them new off the shelf at my local model shop, no sign of them being opened or second hand.

Jim

Which is the important bit.

Gosturde will have picked them up at auction for a fraction of what you paid so he has made a fortune, that of course is irrelevant if you are happy for the price you paid for the item you wanted.

Enjoy your new wagons!

Contact him giving him 7 days to pick the item up or they will be placed outside so he can pick them up at his leisure, if he wants you to store them for him then you will charge him at a rate of £35 per day or part there of.

Since the buyer has already paid, presumably by Paypal,  then your suggestion is rather silly. The buyer will claim 'Item not received' and get his money back.

Since the buyer has already paid, presumably by Paypal,  then your suggestion is rather silly. The buyer will claim 'Item not received' and get his money back.

Yes, taking paypal for an item to be collected is not a good idea.

A common scam nowadays is to pay with paypal, collect the item and then put in "item not received" claim.

Without any tracking details ebay will give the buyer their money back. 

Always say cash on collection with any expensive items being collected, even though it's against Ebay's rules which say you must accept Paypal.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Jim

Can you tell me where I can get them new for cheaper than that ?, I know Hatton's are often down to around £7 but I've exhausted all the current Bachmann part numbers that are correct for my region and timescale.

As I have this thing about not having more than one item of stock with the same running numbers (and I've not got to the stage of renumbering) I can now only collect the older part numbers where I can find them.

None of the mail order retailers seem to have much older stock, unless I've missed one.

Many thanks,

Jim

If you've exhausted all other options and you're happy with the price, then that's fair enough. The key with that seller and the equally nefarious micmcn (aka Cartmel Antiques) is to tread very, very carefully.

I remember when I returned to the hobby a couple of years ago and started hunting around on ebay, those two sellers cropped up all the time at the top of my searches, probably because of their 'power seller' status. Luckily I delved a bit further and it soon became apparent that most of what they had on sale could be had elsewhere at a fraction of the price.

Now I actually don't have a problem with that - they are, after all, free to charge what they like. What sticks in the craw, though, is as Horsetan mentioned the deliberate mis-selling. I reported one of gosturde's auctions because he described a loco as 'mint' and 'never been run' when the state of the wheels clearly showed that was untrue. The auction was essentially fraudulent but ebay just don't give a toss.

Caveat emptor, as they say!

When I sold a bike on Ebay I had payment up front, then I took a photo of the buyer with my mobile phone when they came to collect it; they didn't have a problem with it and it would have served as a good record if they'd have claimed non-receipt...of course, they'd have been stupid to claim after taking the pic, but then you never know...!

David

Unfortunately Ebay won't accept a photo of the buyer collecting the item as proof of collection, some sellers have found this out.

It might put a buyer off putting in not received claim afterwards if they were thinking about it though.

It is a bit silly that ebay say you have to accept Paypal as a payment method, even for collection only items, but then provide no way of proof of collection.

Jim

The only real way of proving an item has been collected by a buyer is to ask them to bring proof of identity with them, (take a copy or photo of same) & then get them to sign a receipt, saying that they have approved & taken the item. This really cannot be argued with..

The young lady in my local corner shop was scammed out of an expensive laptop by some unscrupulous scoundrel using exactly the method mentioned, so it pays to be careful...

The only real way of proving an item has been collected by a buyer is to ask them to bring proof of identity with them, (take a copy or photo of same) & then get them to sign a receipt, saying that they have approved & taken the item. This really cannot be argued with..

It won't make any difference as far as Ebay and Paypal are concerned. It will however allow you to pursue it through legal channels.

It's either a short one or a long one with a bit chopped out of the middle and the ends joined together with what looks like duct tape. Memo - removing the window strip does not look like a scrapped real coach, it just proves it's a damaged model. Plus the seagulls have been busy again.

Can't wait for the 4575s (Not really just joking! :O :jester: )

EDIT. It might just be worth the fiver for the underframe and bogies of the Hornby power car - maybe......

Ahhhh. BUT is it a Hornby Power Car?  Most likely the latest diesel from GBL! :O

Ahhhh. BUT is it a Hornby Power Car?  Most likely the latest diesel from GBL! :O

Does the GBL copying extend to the couplings? If so you could well be right. The paintwork (under the muck) seems too good for GBL though. Second hand HST dummy power cars are cheap enough anyway or it could be a power car less motor, which would explain the dip at the nose end.

EDIT Comparing the noses in the photo here, it appears to have the Hornby features rather than the GBL (cab window, fairing and slot for the underframe clip).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/page-117

Edited by Il Grifone

Yowp! :O

You are quite correct, and I will look more closely at the photos next time! :blush:

There does seem to be a sad increase in the "scraping" (or scrapping!) of models....some would be quite collectable before....some are real scrap though!

• Like 1

Hi,

Is the person referred to as "Gosturde" the same as the ebay seller gostude ?

If so can somebody enlighten me to the reason for the insulting name ?

I bought half a dozen Bachmann wagons from him on Ebay, arriving tomorrow hopefully, before i came across the end of this thread.

Thanks,

Jim

Have a look at this Gostude sale - a Dapol Pug, made nasty and weathered (for a given value of weathered) for - the thick end of £70.

Yes, that's right, £69.50, for a wrecked loco.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-KIT-BUILT-BR-0-4-0-CLASS-0F-PUG-SADDLE-TANK-LOCO-19-WEATHERED-mw-/331201653949?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d1d282cbd

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Premium

The young lady in my local corner shop was scammed out of an expensive laptop by some unscrupulous scoundrel using exactly the method mentioned, so it pays to be careful...

And if they then tell paypal that they haven't received the goods and get a refund they are guilty of theft. If you have any suspicions when they come to collect the item make sure that you remind them of that and that you will prosecute.

Ah, I see your point now after looking at that auction.

I will let you know what state my New MIB Bachmann wagons from him are in when they arrive.

The prices seemed reasonable, £10.50 to £11.50 for discontinued part numbers, free postage.

Jim

Hmm, reply quoting original post doesn't seem to work for me.

Don't worry to much my friend I have purchased two locomotives and a couple of coaches from him. They have all been as listed excellent condition well packed and fast delivery. If your happy with the asking price then its up to you who you buy from. I don't beleave all i read same with reviews

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And if they then tell paypal that they haven't received the goods and get a refund they are guilty of theft. If you have any suspicions when they come to collect the item make sure that you remind them of that and that you will prosecute.

If a buyer wants to collect in person then there's nothing to stop you insisting that it's payment in cash on collection only.

If a buyer wants to collect in person then there's nothing to stop you insisting that it's payment in cash on collection only.

Except that Ebay say you have to accept Paypal.

If you refuse you will get a mark against your account for not completing the sale.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Don't you risk offending genuine buyers, if you start suggesting they might be crooks? You do have the option of simply declining to sell the item as you've changed your mind.

Edit to add

Risking of course a bad feedback & wrath from eBay.

Edited by kevinlms