EBay madness

Marcyg

Ah but, (me again!) the centre wheels have the screw which ISTC holds the entire connecting rod in place !!

For a tenner plus post, I suppose there must be some recyclable bits.....in fairness, it only needs re-wheeling, the boiler shortening to fit the 4-4-2 arrangement, the tender wheels replacing, some better less-crude couplings.....before emptying it all into the nearest wheelie bin  :jester:

The box it comes in might be useful for something.

They've obviously sold out, but even at £1.59 (the normal price), it's expensive for a few bits of sponge.

Be interesting to see if it stayed on the track as there's no flanges on the trailing driving wheels!

Looking at it again (my poor eyes!) it appears that the rear axle is fixed. The coupling rods are liable to come out of the leading driving wheels and jam the connecting rods though. Shortening the boiler to the correct length would be difficult, seeing the motor drives on the trailing coupled (ex-centre) axle.

The only parts of any value would be the X-04 motor and the 'Lord of the Isles' front bogie (Why? - the original 'Princess' bogie would have been better.), but they're still not worth nearly £15.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

The last 13 bids are from the same bidder, it looks like he has put in a ridiculously high maximum bid.

It's all automatic bidding, both m***z and 2***0 having put in very high maximum bids (look at the automatic bids) on 3rd Dec and 28th Nov respectively

Keith

As far as I can remember, the Thomas "Toad" brake van was a one-off production run hence the high prices, however (having collected most of the Thomas range myself) I agree that paying £90 for one is just ridiculous. I spotted one a couple of weeks ago that was listed at £90 Buy-It-Now and stuck it in my watch list out of curiosity. It sold. No auction battle, no last minute sniping, just some silly nincompoop person who thought it was worth £90 despite these popping up on eBay fairly frequently and selling for £30-£40, which is a hefty price tag in itself! This seems to have set off a trend as there are now a number of them listed as BIN at around £90... "Henry" models are somewhat more of a rarity as far as this range is concerned and even they sell for a "mere" £90 from time to time!

I'll admit to paying about £50 / 60€ on a number of occasions for those hard-to-find intermediate TGV trailers that have been out of production since the mid-90s (Lima Collection and high-spec Jouef editions), but I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay £90 for a four-wheeled wagon. *cue long speech about why I absolutely must build a collection of H0 TGVs despite modelling an unelectrified area of the UK (in N gauge).*

The last trailer I needed for my TGV Atlantique was spotted on eBay last night and is on its way to me as I type :locomotive:

JB

588D1F31-CD93-49F8-8CAB-7CCC8EAA290A_zps

• Like 6

I was watching a 4mm scale Malcolm Mitchell/David Geen 517. The price last night (my time) was GBP 110 and I figured that it would stay somewhere around that price. Wrong! The final sale price was GBP 235. Unless I am mistaken, the 517 is still available and for considerably less than that?

Craig W

I was watching a 4mm scale Malcolm Mitchell/David Geen 517. The price last night (my time) was GBP 110 and I figured that it would stay somewhere around that price. Wrong! The final sale price was GBP 235. Unless I am mistaken, the 517 is still available and for considerably less than that?

Craig W

Yes Craig, available from David Geen for £95. However the one tonight did include a set of Ultrascale wheels so therefore the purchaser saved themselves the 6+ weeks wait...........

Tony

Edit-  Oooops I really did mean 6 months -sorry!

Edited by Rail-Online

Yes Craig, available from David Geen for £95. However the one tonight did include a set of Ultrascale wheels so therefore the purchaser saved themselves the 6+ weeks wait...........

Tony

I checked that when first looking - they were Gibson wheels, not Ultrascale!  Quite a premium for them it seems.

Craig w

This one reminded me of the old joke about the girl who blows into her cat's ear and it turns into a handsome Prince. She is overjoyed, but the Prince says, "I bet you're sorry now that you took me to the vet!"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Hornby-DUBLO-3218-2-6-4-TANK-LOCO-80059-GOOD-Boxed-Vintage-/321598958530?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ae0caabc2

For once it is a rare item, though the transfers are rather faded (the uneven numbers are an indication of authenticity! :O ), but replacing the wheels has seriously affected the value (The chassis should have nickle plated 3 rail drivers and plastic pony and bogie wheels.)

I was interested to see the trailing bogie wheels, as I have got some of these...as the driving wheels are Romford going by the fixings, are these bogie wheels also Romfords?

My wheels have black plastic centres to fit, making the spokes a bit more 3-dimensional as well....

Edited by Sarahagain

Hi,

Agree totally with you.

The idiot does not even have the manufacturer right as that was 'Rosebud Kitmaster' not as described.

I cant help wondering if this kind of stupid dealer trying to sell such rubbish is in fact slowly killing their own business as people seeing this kind of thing will surely gradually cease to deal with such people.

Cant come soon enough for me.

Regards

Hi,

Notice that the idiot has used basically the same advert as the previous rubbish.

Just in case he reads this, for his information, the rubbish is an early Rovex Plastics coach that lasted for aprox 2 years into the Triang era.

The moulding was in Cellulose Acetate, hence the warping and cracking.

A 'fantastic' addition to a collection ?.

I think not - even the most avid 'collector' would pass on this example as its degrading to the point where it will fall apart within a few years.

Nothing like an opportunist though is there.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Notice that the idiot has used basically the same advert as the previous rubbish.

Just in case he reads this, for his information, the rubbish is an early Rovex Plastics coach that lasted for aprox 2 years into the Triang era.

The moulding was in Cellulose Acetate, hence the warping and cracking.

A 'fantastic' addition to a collection ?.

I think not - even the most avid 'collector' would pass on this example as its degrading to the point where it will fall apart within a few years.

Nothing like an opportunist though is there.

Regards

And in what way will a clean help? A waste of water.

• RMweb Gold

£29.99 seems to be his standard price for anything model railway related.. Why waste time with tarting up GBL locos when you could have this Airfix City of Truro for £29.99?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Locomotive-Railway-Train-Model-Airfix-Vintage-Collectible-1961-/390864837489?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5b015c1b71