Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The curious thing is: I wonder how many of us have actually bought model railway items from Mr G!?

I have - generally wagons that were reasonably priced.  

My impression is that he sticks a mark up on whatever he paid for the item and sticks to it come what may despite this meaning that said item will most likely never sell.

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 03/06/2021 at 10:04, Darius43 said:

Another gem from our favourite vendor.

For those that want to replace the Hornby body with something hideous.

As he says “what you see is what you get”.

Cheers

Darius

I'm pretty sure it's not GEM, unless the LNWR had an experimental diesel design :jester:.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PatB said:

I'm pretty sure it's not GEM, unless the LNWR had an experimental diesel design :jester:.

Nasty, dirty diesels on the Premier Line?  Fat chance!

Though you could imagine a strange little experimental oddity, scurrying up and down the line from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog, struggling with a few wagons of slate from the quarries...  The "Curiosity" class of 1920, only two were built, "Cat" and "King".  One lasted long enough, mouldering on a far siding at Crewe, to pique the curiosity of Ivatt when he was designing the LMS "Twins"....

:senile:

Edited by Hroth
Repetititition...
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313553755586?hash=item4901429dc2:g:A-MAAOSwRGNguUTh

"STEAM LOCOMOTIVE PARTS IDEAL FOR SCRATCHBUILDER" - Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to scratchbuild a working loco from these bits! :locomotive:

I have a white metal running plate from an unidentified 4-4-0 to add to that if anyone is interested.;)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I have a white metal running plate from an unidentified 4-4-0 to add to that if anyone is interested.;)

"Some bits of white metal. A loco barely alive. [Ladies and] Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic locomotive. These bits will become that loco. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster." :locomotive:

• Funny 3

12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The curious thing is: I wonder how many of us have actually bought model railway items from Mr G!?

Funnily enough, I was looking for a loco for a project.  After scouring ebay (yuck...) I found what I wanted, in excellent condition, from Mr G at a considerably lower price than any other vendor.

As he often says, it was

A great item for your collection.

But not RARE!

So yes, I've bought something!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Funnily enough, I was looking for a loco for a project.  After scouring ebay (yuck...) I found what I wanted, in excellent condition, from Mr G at a considerably lower price than any other vendor.

As he often says, it was

But not RARE!

I've had some bits and bobs too! 'Buy it now' kits usually.

• Like 2

On 02/06/2021 at 11:32, G-DIMB said:

Your new in eBay madness arent you? Thats the infamous gostude so its almost a given for pretty much anything of his to be on here! Could probably be honored with his own thread now!

Oh dear! Just had a horrible thought! What if he walks amongst us with a non de plume? Aaargh!:swoon:

• Funny 6

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

As he often says, it was

But not RARE!

SURELY you mean R@RE?

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, MartinWales said:

SURELY you mean R@RE?

Strangely no.  I've had a quick scan through and he doesn't seem to use L@@K!!! either.

Mr Gs catchphrases seem to include "RARE", "Kit Built" and "A great item for your collection." to mention a few.

Anyone want a mazak-rot Class 31 ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"STEAM LOCOMOTIVE PARTS IDEAL FOR SCRATCHBUILDER" - Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to scratchbuild a working loco from these bits! :locomotive:

The main challenge being to find a prototype only requiring one, slightly wobbly, connecting rod and crosshead. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Calling DS Ruffnut!

Mike.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Calling DS Ruffnut!

Mike.

You called? ;)

5C827ED5-AEF3-4520-83CA-C0FCCBF9D43D.jpeg.03b6f92aaa0f88842edd9af282fc82d0.jpeg

Looks like some LMS Ivatt 2-6-2 tank loco parts in there...

Cab roof definitely a tank loco, most likely LMS...also possibly Stanier 2-6-4 tank loco..

What looks like a part of the LMS type auto train gear, looks a little like a Westinghouse pump with a light fitting on it! :D

Possibly a Right Hand Drive boiler backhead ...

Coffee pot....a safety valve casing?? :sorry_mini:

A small steam turbo generator??? :sorry_mini:

A bracket for a bogie or pony truck? :scratchhead:

A bit of boiler cleading sheets....

Connecting rod, crosshead and piston rod...

Not a lot to go on though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added photo....
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Cab roof definitely a tank loco, most likely LMS...also possibly Stanier 2-6-4 tank loco..

I thought the cab roof was more reminiscent of a Fowler 2-6-4 rather than a Stanier, with that "rounded" profile. The "Coffee Pot" looks more Midland.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, Fowler also possible...

Which loco did Wills make as a body kit for the Hornby Dublo 4mt 2-6-4 tank loco chassis ? 

Certainly a Stanier version...

1148EDC4-F014-411F-978F-2227BA517E69.jpeg.c5a094c2af27291ed309f21a6345dd61.jpeg

GEM did a Super Kit for both Stanier and Fowler versions.

So possibly spare from this kit, built as A Stanier version?

B54AB05E-1CE5-47D4-98EB-0CD45408709F.jpeg.f04f7bdfadd1f8935c450d218126dc9e.jpeg6E296166-C833-4069-9FA7-110362BDD407.jpeg.001b00a950e186bfce2368dda2e0edc2.jpeg32EDCC2F-855F-48CC-94C1-F0FA08B38C3C.jpeg.867ebb28a1c8ec5e99367518be650c7a.jpeg8821102D-72DA-42F4-9925-35FFB41F905B.jpeg.377a6f379ebb2ac92cb39ef32a716144.jpeg

The Midland Railway certainly used coffee pots, as did the North Eastern, and the GWR, thinking Achilles, Lord of The Isles type here...;)

Ks did the Ivatt 2-6-2 tank loco...

E54F30E3-1C65-4FAC-9F05-DC1AA0F3E246.jpeg.8a7f2285c90a2169d3adc56169da515e.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Kit illustrations etc added
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1