EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115453401326?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7njDd0E0TKO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Our friends Rocket Railways... it looks about as old as The Rocket...

It's well worth checking the regulations on sale of second hand electrical equipment... makes for interesting reading

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, John Besley said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115453401326?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7njDd0E0TKO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It's well worth checking the regulations on sale of second hand electrical equipment... makes for interesting reading

As a seller wouldn't you at least clean it up a bit!

• Agree 5

16 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

...and as a former qualified electrical safety and PAT tester I would not touch it with a well insulated twenty foot barge pole!

Its ok, its firmly on the 12v side of things, no mains connection.  Designed to give fine speed control for the early 12v Triang battery boxes.

Its ideal as "set dressing" for the sort of collectors layout with grey "standard" Triang track. Not connected to anything and a more modern controller doing the work!

You would think that a quick going over with a soft brush would have removed the excess grot, leaving a decent patina of age...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

...and as a former qualified electrical safety and PAT tester I would not touch it with a well insulated twenty foot barge pole!

As a fire alarm engineer the only reason I'd touch one as old as that is to gut it and build a retro controller with new parts (if I was totaly bored and nothing better to do) ... I've asked RR if it has a plug and lead to see what their response is 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

As @Hroth has pointed out, it's 12V, but I do recall that if you are a business and selling secondhand mains items, you may be required to have them PAT tested. I know that we used to have to have all 110v power tools tested if we were using them on site or any employee was using them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ikcdab said:

I guess that if that is what they go for, then fair enough, but oooo that postage cost.  Is he sending it from Mars?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334547629962?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=LJMOQvC5Siq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=oMX1GZ5VQyG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Delivered by armoured car complete with outriders and close protection squad...

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, John Besley said:

As a fire alarm engineer the only reason I'd touch one as old as that is to gut it and build a retro controller with new parts (if I was totaly bored and nothing better to do) ... I've asked RR if it has a plug and lead to see what their response is 

It's no more dangerous than the electrics on my 70 year old motorcycles, if properly maintained, but other than a curiosity to complete your collection, why bother. Old Tri-ang trains still run better with a modern controller.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

It's no more dangerous than the electrics on my 70 year old motorcycles, if properly maintained, but other than a curiosity to complete your collection, why bother. Old Tri-ang trains still run better with a modern controller.

but the motorbike is 12v, you’d probably just get a tingle if it goes wrong, that thing could potentially kill you if you plugged it into the mains! 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Is it another creeping Americanism, akin to a ‘pack’ of bleach that I bought recently?

I wouldn't mind if we got Americanisms such as cheap petrol, higher wages, better restaurants and (generally) friendlier people.

But we get corporate jargon, gangsta rap and victim culture instead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

35 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Barge poles are normally 12ft!

Hat, coat, door.......................🤣

Edited by andytrains
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

14 minutes ago, big jim said:

but the motorbike is 12v, you’d probably just get a tingle if it goes wrong, that thing could potentially kill you if you plugged it into the mains! 

I was under the impression that we had already established it's a 12v input control box fed from a dry battery pack or mains transformer, in the way that a modern Gaugemaster Combi functions?

My bikes are all 6v on the battery side. The ignition is run by a magneto at 10-20,000 volts, it's only about 0.3A, so it won't kill you, but it's not funny either, unless of course it happens to someone else!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

I was under the impression that we had already established it's a 12v input control box fed from a dry battery pack or mains transformer, in the way that a modern Gaugemaster Combi functions?

ah right. Didn’t spot that! 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I wouldn't mind if we got Americanisms such as cheap petrol, higher wages, better restaurants and (generally) friendlier people.

But we get corporate jargon, gangsta rap and victim culture instead.

They had - Ronald Regan, Bob Hope and  Johnny Cash we had Liz Truss, no hope and no cash

• Funny 5

6 minutes ago, big jim said:

If you actually managed to connect it directly to the mains, you'd deserve your Darwin Award!

Just now, andytrains said:

Barge poles are normally 12ft!

Hat, coat, door.......................

Ours were painted with 12" bands to judge water depth.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Twenty years before the daft experiments on Sam's trains my friend soldered some thin two core speaker cable to the motor of a Lima diesel shunter and connected a plug to the other end with wire wrapped around the fuse holder. (This was pre RCD cutouts in houses) He laid some tracks across the kitchen lino and flicked the switch. The shunter shot off like a rocket, literally, with sparks flying, dragging the cable behind it until it smashed into the kitchen doorstep.

That was the end of that experiment.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

50 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Twenty years before the daft experiments on Sam's trains my friend soldered some thin two core speaker cable to the motor of a Lima diesel shunter and connected a plug to the other end with wire wrapped around the fuse holder. (This was pre RCD cutouts in houses) He laid some tracks across the kitchen lino and flicked the switch. The shunter shot off like a rocket, literally, with sparks flying, dragging the cable behind it until it smashed into the kitchen doorstep.

That was the end of that experiment.

Eeep!

I'm surprised it got anywhere before the armature exploded in red hot fragments, OR the speaker cable melted!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

I've got oneof them in a box, but mine's not in such good condition!

I don't the rules on second hand electrical equipment apply to these, low voltage in and out.

• Agree 2