Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Cynic! 😆 I thought it was because his daughter needs a job...

Six of one and half a dozen of the other?

But a bit past its sell-by date, is the shabby genteel Torquay hotel still a thing?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, 40152 said:

Looks like we’re heading into ‘rebooted’ territory; we’ve got nothing new to contribute so we’ll rehash / make a mess of what was a good thing first time round. I see on the beeb that Fawlty Towers is up for this :(

That's just WRONG! It's a function of there being a complete lack of original thinking in the TV and movie industries. There was a proposal a few years ago to remake Casablanca. That's more than wrong, it's blasphemous! Perfection cannot be improved upon and presumably no one wanted to be the man whose name would live in infamy for trying so it never came to anything.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

It comes from America I think. I just hope all you can eat buffets don't follow suit "All you care to enjoy". Enjoy? I want to stuff myself so they have to ROLL me out.

Lumped in with that kind of euphemistic nonsense is the corporate mission statement or company slogan. Stuff like the Police's "Keeping People Safe". That should be self-evident so if they feel the need to overtly state it, it's probably not true. And then there's the crass and meaningless jargonistic policy title like this one, again from the Police:

895555764_08-02-202310-02-30.jpg.b6f6db436ae8decb26261ec3c1558cd5.jpg

The term "Vision Zero" being a classic example of the genre. It's another illustration of something that wouldn't need to be stated if it was actually being done. You can just see and hear the focus group coming up with that sh!t and then congratulating themselves for their ingenuity and relevant thinking.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Swissrail said:

Lumped in with that kind of euphemistic nonsense is the corporate mission statement or company slogan. Stuff like the Police's "Keeping People Safe". That should be self-evident so if they feel the need to overtly state it, it's probably not true. And then there's the crass and meaningless jargonistic policy title like this one, again from the Police:

895555764_08-02-202310-02-30.jpg.b6f6db436ae8decb26261ec3c1558cd5.jpg

The term "Vision Zero" being a classic example of the genre. It's another illustration of something that wouldn't need to be stated if it was actually being done. You can just see and hear the focus group coming up with that sh!t and then congratulating themselves for their ingenuity and relevant thinking.

And getting paid a fortune for their trouble.  

One of my local councils has the the slogan "Where everyone matters". I should hope so too especially if they pay council tax.

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

But a bit past its sell-by date, is the shabby genteel Torquay hotel still a thing?

We have them in Blackpool......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Swissrail said:

That's just WRONG! It's a function of there being a complete lack of original thinking in the TV and movie industries. There was a proposal a few years ago to remake Casablanca. That's more than wrong, it's blasphemous! Perfection cannot be improved upon and presumably no one wanted to be the man whose name would live in infamy for trying so it never came to anything.

Plenty of examples of a remake that's a load of utter carp. The Ladykillers, The Italian Job and Day of the Jackal come to mind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

One of my local councils has the the slogan "Where everyone matters". I should hope so too especially if they pay council tax.

I sometimes wonder why everyone these days feels the need to have this kind of trite and meaningless twaddle attached to their name. Then I remember that in the days when Councils and organisations actually did what they were paid to do they didn't need any of these ridiculous sayings, they just got on with it. Now that they are cut to the bone and can't do anything either properly or even at all, they try to kid us on that they're "fully focused" on fulfilling their obligations by stating what they're doing, rather than actually doing it. I worked at the Scottish Parliament for ten years and I saw first hand that politicians really do believe that talking about problems is the same as solving them, particularly if you can come up with a snazzy policy title to fool people into thinking there's any substance to all the hot air they've been expelling.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Six of one and half a dozen of the other?

Trust me there are still plenty of them about... and nursing homes... don't get me started

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

I sometimes wonder why everyone these days feels the need to have this kind of trite and meaningless twaddle attached to their name. Then I remember that in the days when Councils and organisations actually did what they were paid to do they didn't need any of these ridulous sayings, they just got on with it. Now that they are cut to the bone and can't do anything either properly or even at all, they try to kid us on that they're "fully focused" of fulfilling their obligations by stating what they're doing, rather than actually doing it. I worked at the Scottish Parliament for ten years and I saw first hand that politicians really do believe that talking about problems is the same as solving them, particularly if you can come up with a snazzy policy title to fool people into thinking there's any substance to all the hot air they've been expelling.

Nowadays the world abhors a vacuum, so words of some description have to be inserted, randomly and meaninglessly usually.

Just look at job title and company descriptions, most can't be worked out from their verbiage.

Commentators on television have the same issue, you don't HAVE to talk.

Mike.

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Nowadays the world abhors a vacuum, so words of some description have to be inserted, randomly and meaninglessly usually.

Just look at job title and company descriptions, most can't be worked out from their verbiage.

Commentators on television have the same issue, you don't HAVE to talk.

Indeed. If it's not pointless verbiage, it's equally pointless and intrusive music. Anything but silence, because in the silences, people might actually think, and we can't have that!

• Agree 5

24 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Are last year's Hornby catalogues already rare enough to attract such a premium?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284785021065?hash=item424e829089:g:DrYAAOSwLrdiZn6f

Ruddy 'eck!!!

Key publishing are offering them for £5 and I think you get free delivery too...

https://shop.keypublishing.com/products/Hornby-2022-catalogue

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And they're all worse than the council run homes that they replaced.  And that takes some beating.

Another Scottish Parliament reminicence. During a committee meeting I once heard the Savile Row suited owner of a venture capitalist company that owned a string of "care homes" in Edinburgh describe them as "profit centres" which would be "liquidated" if they failed to turn a profit above a particular threshold. The fact that they contained vulnerable human beings was of no concern to this man. I truly hope that there is a cold and dark corner of hell waiting for that black-souled creature for whom money was the only consideration in life.

• Agree 12

10 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Another Scottish Parliament reminicence. During a committee meeting I once heard the Savile Row suited owner of a venture capitalist company that owned a string of "care homes" in Edinburgh describe them as "profit centres" which would be "liquidated" if they failed to turn a profit above a particular threshold. The fact that they contained vulnerable human beings was of no concern to this man. I truly hope that there is a cold and dark corner of hell waiting for that black-souled creature for whom money was the only consideration in life.

Before such a person departed to the nether parts of hell, I'd like to think they would spend their latter years immured in a badly kept and staffed profit centre.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 4

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Before such a person departed to the nether parts of hell, I'd like to think they would spend their latter years immured in a badly kept and staffed profit centre.

Karma at work and the old saying goes "what goes around cones around".

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Those old Hornby catalogues are ace. I remember drooling over the late 80's versions, eyeing up what I would like. Likewise with my dad's 70's catalogues. The set I wanted from the 70's was the coal drop, where the wagons would drop their loads into something benith!

(I've just realised how this sounds! But, there was a hopper wagon set that had operating hopper doors!)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

My Bachmann Class 24 came today. 

It's missing lots of small details though such as cab handrails, headcode discs, and various bits of pipeworks.

I already have headcode discs, I've ordered the cab handrails and I'll order the pipework on Friday. 

16758683699852802782179883707622.jpg

I've just bought a Heljan class 26 of ebay for £75. It needs new buffers and a detailing pack.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Those old Hornby catalogues are ace.

The Triang Railways 11th edition of 1965 was my first. I drooled over it endlessly, imagining having the layouts that were illustrated inside.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2