EBay madness

Marcyg

21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I do like the Bachmann 24/25s.

I've got 2 of them. One in all over green, that I got for cheap of ebay. I also have "Experiment" that I also got of ebay, for effectively half price! It is the current version, I  paid about £91 for it including postage! I bought some Bachmann sealink liveried carriages to run with it!

• Like 1

Here's an example of what can be done on Ebay. Today I got the rather desirable Roco 45923 1962 Rheingold set still factory sealed...

Rheingold-Wagenset.jpeg.7311333265ad0ffe2e88d2f7ec1bfab2.jpeg

...from a British seller, so minimal postage and no import duty. £274 as opposed to the next best I found from a dealer in Germany (even though it was sold out) for EUR 350 + VAT + EUR32 postage to the UK + whatever fee the Royal Mail wants for collecting the tax. I've seen it as high as EUR549 + VAT = Postage + fees! As rare as hens' teeth and something I've been after for a long time without paying stupid money for it. Result!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 5

I don't think those who had to crew the real ones liked them so much. I believe the cabs were remarkably draughty, and the ride was rougher than a bears ar$e...

Perhaps the Johnster can give us chapter and verse?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I don't think those who had to crew the real ones liked them so much. I believe the cabs were remarkably draughty, and the ride was rougher than a bears ar$e...

He was stuck at the back of the train in a brakevan, which of course rode like a Rolls Royce.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps that's the reason why so few are preserved? 🤔

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Swissrail said:

That's just WRONG! It's a function of there being a complete lack of original thinking in the TV and movie industries. There was a proposal a few years ago to remake Casablanca. That's more than wrong, it's blasphemous! Perfection cannot be improved upon and presumably no one wanted to be the man whose name would live in infamy for trying so it never came to anything.

Agreed; Casablanca cannot possibly have been improved at any time later than the replacement of Ronald Reagan with Humphrey Bogart as Rick.  It achieves what I believe is the unique feat in feature films of not one second, camera shot, or dialogue failing to progress the story in some way, absolute genius, and a remake would be blasphemous by anybody's standards.  Best. Movie. Ever.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Karma at work and the old saying goes "what goes around cones around".

A suitable motto for anyone with a roundyround layout...

3 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Whoops. It should be "what goes around comes around!"

M25, then

• Funny 3

Speaking of 24s, how does one fit the headcode discs? They've got a little peg or something on the back to slot into the holes above the marker lights on the model.

16758819858687975353291687699742.jpg.d04a654d213177df9a0cf3a77725fbdf.jpg

I'm having difficulty getting them in properly. Should they protrude a bit and leave a small gap between the discs and front of the loco or should they be flat? 

With gap

16758821758465886082205262031406.jpg.81ae7874403dbb71b65ad875c5c5800c.jpg

Without gap 

16758822919813082912489477733129.jpg.ecf2a9d14c92aae4ff59eea863a9fea0.jpg

Or could I just cut off the protruding bit of the back of the discs and glue them on instead?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Why do people sell them with bits missing? Can't they add the parts themselves?

Possible explanation is that the box has been raided by a dealer to sell them as replacement parts to other customers, or that the previous owner never felt confident enough to put them on and has lost them.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Never rode on a 24, but Ican definitly state that the 25s we had at Canton to replace the lovely Hymeks rode like Pullmans.  That is, until the loco was in motion, when matters went south rapidly.  We had them on, among other jobs that they were congenitally unsuitable for that had previously been the Hymeks' remit) the 'Peterborough Parcels', 4E11, off Cardiff at 00.35, work to Gloucester Central, shunt parcels, and work the reverse Peterborough-Cardiff working back, arriving just before 5am.  Not long hours, home in time for the single-manned driver's PNB. and an absolute pleasure to do it with a 'mek.  Good chance of overtime as the morning no-shows were turning up, I mean not turning up, at about that time of day.  90mph timings, load 4 GUVs, just within the little engines' capacity but a stiff headwind would pin you back to 80, this was a postal contract train and such things mattered, it might at a push have just managed 4 BGs instead (!).  Hymeks just toyed with it.

Draughty, because of the Derby sliding side windows, which could not be shut properly, because the ride was so poor that they continally shook open; the frames were draughty as well because they didn't seal properly (see banging about).  Must've been even worse on earlier locos with gangway doors, Canton's 25s were the later style.  Noisy, despite the pathetic little spindizzy rattling away in the engine room. because there was no sound insulation at the bulkhead, and the thing banged about on its bottoming out bogies.  Everything was loose and made some sort of noise.  No thermal insulation for the cab either, just sheet steel.  There were springs on the bogies, but so far as I could see they were intended as shock amplifiers rather than performing any shock absorbing role.  At least the wheels were round, which is more than could be said for 08s.  You can imagine the opinion of GW/WR men for this kind of Derby-designed rubbish. 

Derby also designed the 45s and 46s, but these were a lot better in every respect.  From a enthusiast pov, I rather like the little Derby type 2s, especially the original series 24s which look as if they need a pat on the head to cheer them up, lovely little doggies, but working on them?  One driver complained to me that his spine was 2 inches shorter when he got back to Cardiff than when he'd left, his back was in half, and his neck was stiff from the draughts, and that he was exhausted wanted to go home, not interested in overtime, which is a terrible inditement of a loco..

They might have been tolerable in good weather on the work they were originally designed for, sub-75mph local passenger and sub-45mph goods replacing class 4 steam, but were frankly not fit for purpose at Canton.  There were lines of stored 37s at Margam at the time, but apparently the reinstatement of heating boilers was too expensive and, with the 'meks gone, there was nothing else available, so we had to put up with them. We used them to replace 120s with bubble car strengtheners on the North to West Crewe trains, originally with 6 mk1s, eventually reduced to three so that they could keep time.  When eth stock appeared on these trains, 33s were drafted in on these trains, the Weymouths, and West Wales, and despite the eth load were allowed four, which they managed easily.  Never rode on one myself but I know the drivers rather liked them, proper pocket rocket little horses that seemed to thrive on being thrashed; fundamentally similar prime mover IIRC.  When airco mk2s were used, 37/4s took on the role, and also aquitted themselves well, excpet 420 for some reason, funny sounding exhaust ISTR and it blew diesel fume smoke rings like Gandalf.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Perhaps that's the reason why so few are preserved? 🤔

I dunno, though.  Probably a good enough little engine for low-speed warm weather summer work potching about on a heritage line at 25mph tops, and pretty reliable, being pretty basic.  Doesn't take up much room, either.  Just not in the winter at main line running speeds, or your volunteers will be queing up to get out of having to do it!

But...

Another delight with them was a particularly sensitive deadman's mechanism.  Deadman's pedals are arranged so that the driver has (IIRC) 7 seconds if he accidentally takes his foot off the spring loaded pedal to reset it before the mechanism decides he is incapacitated and 'puts the lot in'  As some pressure is needed to keep the pedal depressed against strong spring pressure, some leeway is desireable for the driver to change feet when his leg gets tired, a pedal that depressed under his weight would be pointless.  Some locos had handles as well so that the driver could rest muscles by alternating between the two.  But on 25s, this mechanism was a bit hair-triggered and could easily happen without the driver being aware of it, or even with the pedal firmly depressed we suspected but couldn't prove, there was little audible 'click' of feel to it in a noisy cab where all sorts of other minor shocks were in progress, which was marvellous fun in a brake van at the back 20 equal 60SLU 60mph bogie bolster Ds on the down relief at Marshfield between Newport and Cardiff.  Fortunately I heard it coming and braced myself for what was probably a 40mph brick wall collision with the vehicle in front.  By the time the buffers decompressed and I was in for a 30mph 'snatch', I had the brake on!  Equally fortunately the train was empty, though a load might have eased the van collision; loaded they carried steel rod which I reckon would have shifted in these circumstances and possibly even had us off the road or fouling the up. 

Driver came back full of apologies and concern (and this was 'Orrible' Jim Horrell, not unsuitably named and not the normally the front of the queue when it came to apologising, or concern, or any of life's niceties for that matter, what they called a rough diamond but without the diamond, typical oldhand Canton driver, great bloke nonetheless, looked and was terrifying enough in daylight never mind up a dark alley, but I rather liked him and got on well enough with him; some guards would swap duties to get out of working with him and I'd be happy to accommodate them, short fuse, didn't suffer fools at all never mind gladly, straight bat, what you saw was what you got, proper character as we described psychopathic maniacs back in those days, but took pride in his job like an old timer should, and a smoother ride in a brake van than some better mannered men), but I was well aware of the proclivities and quiditties of these little Derby 'stards by then, and it wasn't in any way his fault.  If anything he was more shaken up than I was, never saw him look so pale!  I bruised my shoulder slightly but decided to be mummy's brave little soldier about it.  Shoulda gone in the accident book but the cause would have been 'unintended deadman's brake application', which sounds like I'm trying to say it was the driver's fault, and, as I say, there was nothing in the real world that he could have done to avoid it, so the right thing was to suck it up buttercup, and I did!  Unfortunately it was my satchel shoulder, and I suffered for a couple of weeks afterwards, but thankful for the van shoulder pads, which the much vaunted GW toads that the old hands missed so much didn't have because they didn't have duckets. which of course means little ducks (the word actually originates in a French word for a small duck house, apt enough for a guards' brake van, especially the Southern pillboxes, don't get me started on those abominations).  Showed the value of sitting down when the van was moving, and hanging on to something if you had to stand up; one hand for the van, one for yourself like a windjammer rounding the Horn.

But it was only chance that I was able to hear the bufferclashing warning and was able to brace for impact.  Perhaps a fraction of a second later when Jim blew the back horn at me to warn me what was coming (or at least when the 700whatever-mph minus 60mph forward motion soundwave travelled the length of the train back to me), but the fraction made a good bit of difference to what could have been a different outcome; as it was he was surprised to see me walking up to meet him and thought I'd be laid out hors de combat in the van, which I could easily have been!  Dangerous as well as uncomfortable.  He put it in the repair book, this loco had a bit of a history as I discovered secondmanning him on to shed, but that generated the usual complete, sympathetic, and urgent response from the fitters; 'no fault found', because of course the fault could not be replicated on the shed (dur, no sh*t, Sherlock, the deadman's is switched out unless the loco is in forward or reverse gear).  It was (and is) my view that the poor riding and cab noise at any sort of speed make this problem worse, and I would earnestly recommend any heritage line using these locos to lobby for dispensation allowing the secondmans to be switched out in favour of double manning and twin-control train brakes/engine cutout available on the secondman's side of the cab.  I would expect double-manning to be the norm on a heritage line anyway.

Not fit for purpose.  Class 31s, our other Hymek replacement, were pretty feeble as well, but the cabs and ride were exemplary.  A bad riding, cold, draughty, and noisy loco is A Bad Thing; it contibutes to driver fatigue, is harder to maintain, and is unkind to the track, all factors known to contribute to accidents (see Sutton Coldfield driver fatigue 1955 and arguably Potters Bar cracked rail 2002), and can undoubtedly a health risk as well as a health & safety issue.

Chapter and verse enough for you, Hroth?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

1 minute ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And now, EBay Madness thread returns to its normal programming with another Go$turd production…

METCALFE SUPERQUICK KIT SCRATCH BUILT ENGINE SHED & DEPOT BUILDING JOB LOT nz

Thank you very much (I don’t think)

Steve S

The whole ensemble is one I can do without, at any price! But I do like the way a shed has been built on top of the watertower...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Looking down Gosturd's listing I found this,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364138220081?epid=1023277643&hash=item54c8544a31:g:1DgAAOSwJyxj4jo2

Has he left a 1 (or 2 or 3) off the price?

Almost tempted to buy it to see what would happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Almost tempted to buy it to see what would happen.

Nothing.

It hasn't got the little bakelite switch with the green button to energise the rail that causes the mailbag to be collected/ejected!

Also, its only got the box for the lineside apparatus, the mail coach had its own box. So that's possibly why its sensibly priced...

Edited by Hroth
A bit more
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Speaking of 24s, how does one fit the headcode discs? They've got a little peg or something on the back to slot into the holes above the marker lights on the model.

16758819858687975353291687699742.jpg.d04a654d213177df9a0cf3a77725fbdf.jpg

I'm having difficulty getting them in properly. Should they protrude a bit and leave a small gap between the discs and front of the loco or should they be flat? 

With gap

16758821758465886082205262031406.jpg.81ae7874403dbb71b65ad875c5c5800c.jpg

Without gap 

16758822919813082912489477733129.jpg.ecf2a9d14c92aae4ff59eea863a9fea0.jpg

Or could I just cut off the protruding bit of the back of the discs and glue them on instead?

I day old chap, wouldn't one wish to improve things by fitting the correct etched brass ones instead of three inch thick plastic ones, similarly the handrails?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Nothing.

It hasn't got the little bakelite switch with the green button to energise the rail that causes the mailbag to be collected/ejected!

Also, its only got the box for the lineside apparatus, the mail coach had its own box. So that's possibly why its sensibly priced...

Listing ended.

• Like 2