Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

41 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Wrong spelling of Stephenson too.

A minor point, I gave up when I saw the mispositioned cylinders and the lack of a buffer beam.

If its anything to do with the Stevensons, it looks nothing like a lighthouse or a book...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

The Rocket in the Science Museum ex Brampton Railway is obviously a forgery!

Bit of an odd thought .... be rather fun to build a light industrial railway using the Rocket much modified along with other early locos sold out of service but too useful to scrap.... has anyone done something like that?

Shades of Boultons Sidings (thank thats the right spelling for the loco brooker)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

colonel stephens

1 minute ago, John Besley said:

Bit of an odd thought .... be rather fun to build a light industrial railway using the Rocket much modified along with other early locos sold out of service but too useful to scrap.... has anyone done something like that?

Shades of Boultons Sidings (thank thats the right spelling for the loco brooker)

If Colonel Stephens had been around a bit earlier...

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

I seem to recall that Lion was bought by a dock and used as a boiler to produce steam ? 

I guess many items of rolling stock were sold off. Old van bodies seem to get everywhere 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some early locos lasted a long time, being altered and rebuilt during their workings lives.  Puffing Billy was in service at Hetton Colliery until the late 1800s.  Many, including Rocket and Lion, were based on the boiler as the main structural component, and boilers are by definition containment vessels and very strongly constructed.  In this format, it was easy to move and replace cylinders, wheels, and other components, extending the service life of the loco or allowing it further use as a mobile boiler, which is what happened to both Lion and Trevithick's Penydarren loco. 

Coke burners produced less acidic exhuast than coal, extending both the life of fireboxes & boiler tubes, and the all important joints between tubes and the firebox and smokebox back plate. Locos built before Rocket (and a few after) of course did not have boiler tubes.  Many early locos were industrials, mostly colliery locos, and collieries are a high-risk investemnt where the future stability of the business is never certain, resulting in a parsimonious attituded by their owners towards capital investment in new equipment if the old equipment will 'do' (this was coupled with a similar attitude towards safety measures).  So the rule for locos, as much else, was 'make do and mend', with a wonderful array of alterations and garden shed cabs.  If the engine worked, why fix it and why replace it?

I like the concept of a freelance industrial layou based on early locomotives, perhaps making the point with a brand new 'modern' Peckett or Andrew Barclay from around the 1890s or so.  Chauldron wagons, everything ramshackle and falling apart, rubbish everwhere, filth, mud, stone buildings in poor condition.  Yeah, good stuff!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Rails of Sheffield at it again...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204268011852?hash=item2f8f52814c:g:EhUAAOSwm4JkCLRz

"Very good, boxed condition" they say. They have, rather more importantly, omitted to say that they've all been in the sun for a while and have taken on the attributes of the common or garden banana.

Or is it simply a case of them being photographed with a wide angle lens from a short distance? That’s what it looks like to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Pilotman said:

Or is it simply a case of them being photographed with a wide angle lens from a short distance? That’s what it looks like to me.

Could be I suppose but you'd think if that were the case they'd take a better shot if it's all any prospective buyer has to go on with regard to the condition of what's on sale. I could use them but not on the basis of that picture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Could be I suppose but you'd think if that were the case they'd take a better shot if it's all any prospective buyer has to go on with regard to the condition of what's on sale. I could use them but not on the basis of that picture.

The picture of all five looks like five individual pictures stitched together but in the other pictures showing the coaches separately they don’t look warped to me. I think if I was in your position I’d drop Rails a line and ask them if the coaches were indeed banana-shaped (as one image suggests) or not. I’m sure they’d give you an honest answer. 

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 1

I've just looked at the individual pictures. One or two of them aren't 100% straight and they are early Rivarossi so built to 1:85 rather than 1.87 making them oversized, not flush glazed, ropey bogies, poorly rendered FS insignia and one or two of them in not very good condition. They're not worth £125. Models from that time in Rivarossi's history are worth maybe half that. Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Swissrail said:

It's actually an acronym...Anonima Costruzioni Modellistiche Esatte which literally translates as Anonymous Exact Modelling Constructions. A very strange name indeed.

Anonymous is also used in the French equivalent of a limited liability company - Société Anonyme (S.A.)  I suppose it means you don't know who the shareholders are, and can't sue them to take their personal assets if the company goes bust.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Talltim said:

What am I missing? Price?

Yes. £176 for four four-wheeled wagons is a just a bit on the steep side or am I being overly critical?!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 16:03, melmerby said:

well i did in a way. I bought a kit from him a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised as a rebuilt patriot complete with wheels but missing the tender. No problem i though as i have a spare stanier tender. Problem was theres a few bits mixed up. I have the frames and driving wheels from a Royal Scott. the rest of the body and the bogie wheels are indeed a patriot though. I only bid just over £100 so theres tonnes of useful bits (the wheels and motor are worth more than that individually) so dont feel ive lost anything. I was tempted to message him when this auction came up as i can clearly identify the stanier tender and the loco frames from the kit ive bought in his pile of parts. I have the frames from one of the kits in that listing too... could i do a swap. .... no i dont think i can be bothered....

• Like 1