EBay madness

Marcyg

19 minutes ago, John Besley said:

As in something to prop a photo against so you can't see the item from the skip...?

He can also supply said photos

Has https://www.rmweb.co.uk/profile/14122-nhy-581/ seen the sheep..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304863415062?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=uPgqbUGaQUq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

(Not sure if I'd copied Sheepy bloke NHY 581 link correctly...)

There were layouts on the southern and central Welsh Marches exhibition curcuit a few years ago that had a dead sheepy theme. Elderly, legless, plastic sheep, placed near running lines, had been picked out with red blood detailing!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TinTracks said:

If there were an award for optimistic listings...

"excellent Patina"?

image.png.16c59d14d8d6a56d49a362504642c114.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, TinTracks said:

The only thing that wreck is ideal for is the bin and this mendacious chiseller wants twelve notes for it? Good luck is all I can say.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

45 minutes ago, John Mat said:

Another fine offering from our old friend Gosturd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334811248267?

"BOXED

EXCELLENT

Two un used 5 pole motors with many uses."

Yes, I can think of a few uses for a couple of ancient motors.

£49.50 for two old technology motors covered in rust? I want some of what that guy's on!

• Funny 2

49 minutes ago, John Mat said:

"BOXED

EXCELLENT

Those motors are still pretty sought after. This one sold for £25 (as did another), and standard 3 pole XO4s go for £10-20 each so he's not far off the mark here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155449309223

Far more robust than most modern motors...

Edited by Tofufi
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

£49.50 for two old technology motors covered in rust? I want some of what that guy's on!

The lower one has rust on the gear, it doesn't look new to me, it seems to be covered in tiny flecks of brass, probably from the worm wheel of a loco it was in.

Both were good motors, better than 3-pole X04 and would improve the running of an old Triang loco, although you do need suitable gears too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

If there were an award for optimistic listings...

"excellent Patina"?

image.png.16c59d14d8d6a56d49a362504642c114.png

When you manage to buy a brand new, boxed Dapol wagon £11.50 this week on ebay then you question what this seller is on!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, John Mat said:

"BOXED

EXCELLENT

Sadly given the current insanity with old motors he'll get that easily. I was looking at 5 untested Triang dmu/emu type motors the other day, 2 obviously had parts missing and that lot went for north of 100 pounds😱 Amazing people will throw that sort of money at what could possibly be someone's burnt out motors.

Actually I once got a bargain from gostude. Bid without realizing it was him selling so I was thrown into a panic once I realised, wondering what i'd missed on the listing, but it was indeed a good purchase.😎

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ted633 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256019824324?hash=item3b9bf87ec4:g:9eIAAOSwLjxkHGw7

What am I missing here. (Ignoring the GWR colours as part of the description) This looks like 4 railroad standard Pullman's, currently going for £100 after 22 bids. Or is it just a bidding war that's got out of hand? 

Looking at the bidding history, two bidders drove the price up, one with a feedback score in the mid-300s and one with a feedback score in the high 3000s Low score put a maximum bid of £98 and High score nibbled away at it until they found the top.  Must have wanted them for some reason, £25 a coach, not particularly new with old style metal TL couplings.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2023 at 16:36, Hroth said:

Looking at the bidding history, two bidders drove the price up, one with a feedback score in the mid-300s and one with a feedback score in the high 3000s Low score put a maximum bid of £98 and High score nibbled away at it until they found the top.  Must have wanted them for some reason, £25 a coach, not particularly new with old style metal TL couplings.

Why don't people wait until towards the end before bidding? All you're doing by bidding early is putting the price up!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

8 hours ago, Weeny Works said:

When you manage to buy a brand new, boxed Dapol wagon £11.50 this week on ebay then you question what this seller is on!

Trouble is, its £11.50 + postage. It's reaching the point where I think very carefully before bidding on a single wagon. Postage usually seems appropriate for a kit built loco, but excessive for a wagon? I wonder when the rising cost of postage will finally undermine UK ebay as a selling institution? 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Sadly given the current insanity with old motors he'll get that easily. I was looking at 5 untested Triang dmu/emu type motors the other day, 2 obviously had parts missing and that lot went for north of 100 pounds😱 Amazing people will throw that sort of money at what could possibly be someone's burnt out motors.

Actually I once got a bargain from gostude. Bid without realizing it was him selling so I was thrown into a panic once I realised, wondering what i'd missed on the listing, but it was indeed a good purchase.😎

Well informed modellers can get some good stuff from Mr G - if you pick and choose from his BINs. Whilst unwary newbies can get fleeced.

• Agree 7

26 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Well informed modellers can get some good stuff from Mr G - if you pick and choose from his BINs. Whilst unwary newbies can get fleeced.

We need to be careful lads, I think Mr. G is amongst us. Check this advert out from the for sale thread. It was posted by Tim123. The language used is remarkably similar.

Screenshot_20230330-221500_Chrome.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

"that RWD BMW experience"

Seriously?

Clearly not driven a rear wheel drive anything. Ever.

GTA on Xbox doesn't count, anyone who thinks it does, will kill themselves in a Morris Minor...

• Like 3

More old motor eBay bidding insanity. Seller listed at 99p, currently 90 pounds. For that you get two rusted solid transcontinental motors, a rusted solid X03, 1 lima? motor, 1 tender drive unit, assorted stripped down pancake motors and various bits. What am I missing?

Bid now so you can get a deal

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1