Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks! So Codes 1-3 are as devised by some ebayer, on behalf of other sellers? How cosy. Looking at each of the (fairly questionable) models in question, I think the average ebayer might make his own judgement about the fact that this is probably not factory or limited edition work.

Actually the term " Code 3 " has been used for years in the die-cast fraternity before ebay was even thought of. I believe it started when Matchbox Models of Yesteryear were repainted/altered to be different from the bog standard factory finish jobs.

• RMweb Gold

Here's another Code 3 for you. Interested? Hurry now - it's sought after.......

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item45fd919e49

Not surprising really, it's that Mr Micmcn of the Cartmel Toy Shop again. Similar to Mr Gostude previously discussed.

People must pay this sort of money for so-called 'sought after' stuff. Perhaps I ought to try some 'code 3' weathering on some of my old rubbish then!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks! So Codes 1-3 are as devised by some ebayer, on behalf of other sellers? How cosy. Looking at each of the (fairly questionable) models in question, I think the average ebayer might make his own judgement about the fact that this is probably not factory or limited edition work.

Yes as deltic56 says it's not just an ebay thing. I just copied the salient bit from there. Sorry I should have been clearer, it's been the general coding thing in model cars for ages.

I've just emailed to ask which bits are "finescale". Will post any reply I may (or may not!) get.

Graham

Well, that was quick. Reply as follows:

<quote>

Hi

It is all finscale as it refers to the size of the rails.

Thanks

-from_fire_and_flames

<unquote>

So now we know.

The continuing story.

I replied with a simple, tongue-in-cheek:

<quote>

Hmmmm . . . .

Not sure that Trading Standards would agree with you on that!

<unquote>

which must have caused a degree of unintentioned consternation as it generated the following:

<quote>

Thank you for your comment. By all means please give our listing and

contact details to Trading Standards. If they can advise us of the BS or

ISO standards that define course and fine scale as absolutes and that to

which this Lima track is compliant we will happily change the listing. We

can't find anything more than subjective descriptions of the same. The turn

outs excluded the track pieces are closer in appearance to Peco finescale

than Hornby Mecanno course scale track. However we would welcome guidance

from the better informed, or indeed you, should you choose to be helpful in

any future communication. If not, we thank you for your time and wait to

hear from Trading Standards, although we are doubtful of their interest as

we are not seeking to profit from deliberately mis-describing or

mis-selling an item - quite the opposite in fact, but thank you again for

your concern.

-from_fire_and_flames

<unquote>

Admittedly it would have been easier to follow if "fire_and_flames" had replied in English, but I think the gist is that they don't think much of my questioning their listing!

If anyone else would like to join in, please feel free to do so!

I liked his description "Excellent to broken".

Sounds fair to me.

He seems to know what he is doing as using the word or phrase "Finescale" does attract a wider audience. As it would seem does the phrase "Code 3".

All credit to him for his reply and for taking the time to accepting the challenge over some thing that is worth next to nothing.

Bernard

• Like 1

Some people put stuff on ebay and they don't even check for manufacurers marks on the model. And then there are others who seem to think that their model engine is worth somewhere between £40 - £50, but they then mention the missing bits like buffer heads, tension lock couplers and original (or any) boxes.

I did try bidding for a Hornby 47 in Intercity, because it had an averagely repainted couple of Mk2's with it - I deliberately overlooked the inaccuracy that both coaches had 'Resturaunt Buffet' branding on one side only.

It is alright that we who know better might behave differentley, but the average person in the street isn't going to know any different.

• RMweb Gold

I had had an item in my Watch List tonight, and as the price still seemed reasonable, I started my initial bid with 20 seconds left. I then got an ebay message saying that if I were successful, I would be required to give a telephone number to the seller. What? Had I won, I would have paid by PayPal within 5 minutes, and the seller would have had my address (we both live in France) which is all he needs. Clearly the seller thought some modicum of negotiation of something was in order, but I did not, so no bid.

The message from ebay was clearly a standard, formatted message, so they think this is reasonable behaviour. I have to say I think ebay.fr is struggling to make its presence felt - why else would it not insist on PayPal? - but this took some sort of biscuit!

Similar items have been selling for more than this one went for, so perhaps other bidders read the runes the same way as I did.

It is alright that we who know better might behave differently, but the average person in the street isn't going to know any different.

But surely then that average person in the street isn't going to care? It is almost to the same level as some of us complaining about "obvious" faults and discrepancies on the latest RTR offering. I think to the average person in the street they couldn't care less about the windscreen being 1mm to wide or the tumblehome not being correct or even if the hoses etc are missing - all they want is a toy train that can propel itself and a few other items round and round a circle of track.

And yes, if I am honest that will do for me sometimes, just sometimes.

Edited by Kenton
  • Like 2

Class 31 fans should take a close look at this one :O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-RAILWAYS-R-357-BR-CLASS-31-A1A-A1A-No-5572-BIGGIN-HILL-DIESEL-LOCO-/260857894564?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cbc5796a4

A Triang 31 by the looks of it (certainly not mid 80s vintage), with a bit of an identity crisis in the bogie department.

Strangely, no takers as yet!

Class 31 fans should take a close look at this one :O

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cbc5796a4

A Triang 31 by the looks of it (certainly not mid 80s vintage), with a bit of an identity crisis in the bogie department.

Strangely, no takers as yet!

£42.00 for that pile of junk , this guy seem to sell every thing at silly prices :scratchhead:and it not 1984 model more like 1960's !

And i love this bit "COMPLETE WITH A COMPLEMENTRY STRONG TRAVEL /STORAGE BOX" :O

Bit hard to post it in a jiffy bag!

Edited by darren01

£42.00 for that pile of junk , this guy seem to WANT sell every thing at silly prices :scratchhead:and it not 1984 model more like 1960's !

He really does have a strange idea about what "good condition" actually means.

Money grabbing EBay profiteer ???? - no doubt ordered and bought more than one especially are there are now none left for those of us that have had to save and wait until it was released..............................

http://www.ebay.co.u...C-/290626110823

Edited by Southernman46