EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374831022107?hash=item5745ab801b:g:ZNQAAOSwMsBkvTNu

Every potato should have one of these! (I'm not convinced about its claimed GWR/Southern ancestry either!)

Curious. Started as Hornby Gresley which was too short - and they've made it shorter! Some kind of attempt at a departmental sofa maybe?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Seems to be one of a large collection of similar locos? I'm guessing someone had some fun building these for their own pleasure, over many years. Many are intended to be static - featuring rolling chassis but no motor or gears.

You're dead right mate. I love to see this kind of old school modelling. I've put the whole lot on my watch list and wouldn't mind buying two or three if they don't get too spendy.

Great credit to the seller, all 0.99p starting price. 

Cheers, Rich.

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 21/07/2023 at 18:14, Darius43 said:

3D printed truss bridge

Whilst this truss bridge has pleasing proportions I fear that the members are so slender that collapse would be inevitable under the load of a train - especially the HST as illustrated.  It might work (in model form) as a pedestrian bridge but not for heavier loading.

3D printing enables amazing model realisations but some observation of real trussed railway bridges wouldn’t go amis for the designer of this 3D print.

Cheers

Darius

The "X" shaped anchor plates on the pilasters and main pier are a bit weird.  If they had a steel bar between them as they normally do, the bar would go right through the train!  Hardly much point in putting an anchor plate on each side of the wall as they appear to show.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, TinTracks said:

You're dead right mate. I love to see this kind of old school modelling. I've put the whole lot on my watch list and wouldn't mind buying two or three if they don't get too spendy.

Cheers, Rich.

Models like this are a part of the history of our hobby. I've picked up a few oddities over the years. They have a certain disarming charm. Must admit to, on occassions, buying two from the same 'stable' to keep old mates together. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Looks like two Hornby  Gresley Brake 3rds ( or whatever) cut in half and re joined to make a full brake. This has just reminded me that I have a stash of old Triang Thompsons Brake 3rds waiting for a similar treatment. Maybe it's finished in Engineer's Olive to go with a brake down crane rake?

Cheers Rich

...and with what looks like a pair of  HST Trailer coach bogies underneath!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Cheers, Rich.

Ah so it was YOU who bid it up to 30 pounds😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

They all appear to have sold?

Yep and for a lot more than I thought. I do like attempts to broaden the triang/Hornby Dublo range from the 60's which was why it was on my watch list in the first place as I have a couple *cough*. I just think that one was a bit out there even for me, and would probably fall apart judging by the gaps and the bits falling off.

in a similar vein, this guy has all sorts of oddities for sale, but apart from photographing them on a tramp's bedsheet, he needs to get his camera fixed.

May be a bit "damp"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

125 quid for an Athearn blue box diesel?  Madness. They are not rare, they need a good deal of detailing to bring them up to today’s standard, and to top it off the original prices are still on the box and a great deal more realistic in therms of  actual value.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Seems he has rethought his rather bizarre inflation calculation from the 1970's (even though it was made in the early 1990's) and halved the price, still twice what it is worth though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The what is £100 from 1974 worth now estimates vary wildly.

Screenshot_20230725-001129.png.d4e81704420c856a1a2b623fad8534f2.png

As for the price? I'm no expert but a friend of mine regularly picks up O gauge US diesels from the same era in the same condition for about half that much.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Is it important that it has been stored upright and "wrapped in a pillowcase"? 🤔

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Is it important that it has been stored upright and "wrapped in a pillowcase"? 🤔

Ah, but that’s the secret to successful storage.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 4

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Well it worked for Egyptian nobility, that loco might last 3000 years as a result.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well it worked for Egyptian nobility, that loco might last 3000 years as a result.

But they were pickled and salted and the innards removed. I don't think that would do a loco much good, and I doubt that a polycotton bag has the same keeping qualities as linen strips...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But they were pickled and salted and the innards removed. I don't think that would do a loco much good, and I doubt that a polycotton bag has the same keeping qualities as linen strips...

I didn't realise the Egyptians invented scratchings!

Mike.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, hornbyandbf3fan said:

It'll be relisted in 20 minutes or so, unless someone buys it.  Its on the cheap side of mendacious chiseller territory so someone might buy?

Or perhaps not!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The what is £100 from 1974 worth now estimates vary wildly.

Screenshot_20230725-001129.png.d4e81704420c856a1a2b623fad8534f2.png

As for the price? I'm no expert but a friend of mine regularly picks up O gauge US diesels from the same era in the same condition for about half that much.

The BOE calculator is the more widely use resource using CPI back to 1988 and RPI figures before that.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1