RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Overacting the role for what may be a critical audience?

I doubt it. Thing is most people who have a niche interest tend to look eccentric to  others whether that's trainspotting, collecting old records, repairing old tv's. I catch videos on all those subjects even though I have no interest in doing it myself. To go out in all weathers to video trains for a few hundred people takes time, commitment and an element of fanaticism that most people haven't got probably to the detriment of "normal" life. I'm sure even some of the model railway creators that I watch would be found hilarious by a casual viewer as they go into minute detail on how superb the lining is. Actually I've been sort of toying with the idea of doing a spoof on those unboxing videos you see, usually titled "Hornby/Bachmann ETC LET ME DOWN" where they get a broke/useless model for 300 pounds and then proceed to fix it

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Indeed in the UK, misselling US outline locos because the knowledge this side of the Atlantic is a bit thin in places, leads to quite a few bargains...

...and a rather large 'To Do' pile...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

misselling US outline locos because the knowledge this side of the Atlantic is a bit thin in places, leads to quite a few bargains...

I think its a case of whatever the latin is for "let the seller beware" but I sometimes wrestle with the morality on buying things that seller has got wrong.

I bought (so obviously didn't wrestle that hard!) a Lionheart brass 45xx the other day that was priced at well under half what I would have expected and I suspect they thought was the recent much cheaper release. This wasnt eBay but from a shop and I decided they ought to know what they are doing. 

• Like 2

On 09/11/2023 at 08:33, RFS said:

It's the same guy who has a Hornby purple West Country for sale at £1497.95. He has 1055 items for sale, yet in the last 3 months has only made 7 sales. 

I have to wonder if some of theses sellers are some kind of tax evasion scam. maybe a vat registered ltd company buying items as stock which reduces your tax liabilty and you can then also claim the VAT back. you then put the items for sale at extortionate prices hoping they dont sell. or it could just be someone with an over inflated valuation

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I mentioned earlier the very poor impression that Joe Average has of railway enthusiasts, I found this from Viz comic via Flickr:

4177470890_7a64e976b3_b.jpg.5a0147afa87cc23b848ad7cb1d1b8d56.jpg

I cant help but think that some of those "adverts" have enough accuracy and information in them to have been actually written by a railway enthusiast. ignoring the 47 deltic error

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2023 at 09:13, Sjcm said:

This guy has been absolutely flooding the site with stuff recently. Where he's getting it all from God knows

And most all finish in an hours time and lots with bids, if they sell he's going to have his work cut out packing it all up... I'd hate to be behind him in the post office waiting to get to the counter...

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, John Besley said:

And most all finish in an hours time and lots with bids, if they sell he's going to have his work cut out packing it all up... I'd hate to be behind him in the post office waiting to get to the counter...

He might even run out of boxes! 😲

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2023 at 02:11, MrWolf said:

I mentioned earlier the very poor impression that Joe Average has of railway enthusiasts, I found this from Viz comic via Flickr:

4177470890_7a64e976b3_b.jpg.5a0147afa87cc23b848ad7cb1d1b8d56.jpg

Worth noting that Viz founder and main writer Chris Donald, who probably wrote that, is himself a railway enthusiast who owns Akeld station on the old Coldstream branch and used to own the Hawksworth BG which is now a camping coach at Goathland. So he knows whereof he speaks.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

Rare and in need of attention...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176028224027

I think a dignified burial would be more suitable.  I would not have even bothered to list them, just thrown them straight in the bin.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I think a dignified burial would be more suitable.  I would not have even bothered to list them, just thrown them straight in the bin.

I have straightened these in the microwave, with the bogies off, obvs! And the bogies I use under SR S15 tenders. The boxes are survivors and could be useful for the train set inserts. Immersing them in boiling water and then bending over your knee can also restore the running quality.....!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

If they were acquired very cheaply, (or free!) it might be interesting to experiment with different ways to straighten them out, depending on how the plastic has degraded.

If that fails, back the car over them before placing in the bin. That should flatten them out.

Seriously though, I did wonder if the bogies would stand upgrading for other purposes.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

They're from the Marks&Sparks Christmas set with the all plastic shorty (in proportion to the coaches...) Princess Elizabeth with plunger pickups.  If you have a set that needs original boxes to complete it then even with Fyffes coaches, its probably worth a punt!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If they were acquired very cheaply, (or free!) it might be interesting to experiment with different ways to straighten them out, depending on how the plastic has degraded.

If that fails, back the car over them before placing in the bin. That should flatten them out.

Seriously though, I did wonder if the bogies would stand upgrading for other purposes.

Here I have used them on a scratch built tender behind a "King Arthur", converted from a Triang Princess. (A conversion found in a very old, 1958 MRN mag)20201016_002449.jpg.ac06fbacbbbb8d4bb6eebf36ae79b88b.jpg

Edited by 33C
Added letter.
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

1 minute ago, 33C said:

Here I have used them on a scratch built tender behind a "King Arthur", converted from a Triang Princess. (A conversion found in a very old, 1960's RM mag)20201016_002449.jpg.ac06fbacbbbb8d4bb6eebf36ae79b88b.jpg

And it looks better than "Sir Dinadan" too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Have you by any chance still got that article? Or any photos of it? Would love to give that conversion a try myself.

I'll dig it out and post it. There is also a contemporary article about turning a princess into a Saint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2