EBay madness

Marcyg

15 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Hattons' obsession with boxes appears to have been superseded by a new obsession with how models smell!

I don't think its the models as such, but the boxes are smelling a bit "musty".

We had a discussion here when the "musty smell" first appeared, and came to the conclusion that they had been sold to Hattons by the sort of bloke who attends exhibitions wearing a ratty, stained old parka, with an equally unpleasant rucksack....

Perhaps they're hoping that a buyer with no sense of smell snaps them up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Some models smell rather nice ...oh sorry different sort of model, although some look like they've been kit bashed and weathered 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1528026/hornby_r4720_po28_58_maunsell_rebuilt_ex_lswr_48_nine_compartment_third_304_in_sr_olive_green_pr/stockdetail

But then if its been kept locked up in a carriage shed awaiting restoration its already got a prototypical aroma...

But 40 notes for a smelly coach - not me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Looks like they've employed a professional 'sniffer'? Either that, or we're entering a new phase of 'scratch & sniff' railway modelling??

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I picked up a Proto 1000 Budd RDC off ebay the other day, supposedly never been used or the box opened.  Reeked of Old Holborn like a 1960's east end boozer and had a distinctive yellow/brown hue or tinge to it which I presume wasn't intended to be a weathering effect of brake dust.

Fortunately, a bath in soapy warm water and a toothbrush saw off the worst of it and left a slightly weathered finish that actually looks the part, but more importantly got rid of the smell.  Had to bin the box and inner packaging though.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

They're also listed as being Lone Star brand, which would make them 1960s diecast toys. 

Which they aren't. 

They look to be Woodland Scenics white metal items from the 1980s, which would make them HO scale rather than OO as stated in the title.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

They're also listed as being Lone Star brand, which would make them 1960s diecast toys. 

Which they aren't. 

They look to be Woodland Scenics white metal items from the 1980s, which would make them HO scale rather than OO as stated in the title.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276220910689?hash=item40500c9c61:g:bBIAAOSw2utlT2tu

Another of his items: we are told it's in good condition, then we are told it's missing two buffers? Seems to feature a chipped roof as well?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 1

Anyway, surely for those that strive for realism a musty smelling coach is prototypical for the steam age? The manufacturers have spent have spent so much time concentrating on the sound aspect that they've missed a trick imo. One of those glade plug-in air fresheners modified to fit inside a coach with say sachets of sulphur

/rotton eggs or bleach/sick for modern stock and they can charge an extra 50 pounds offer stunning realism for the connoisseur modeller.

Edited by Sjcm
  • Funny 7

7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276220910689?hash=item40500c9c61:g:bBIAAOSw2utlT2tu

Another of his items: we are told it's in good condition, then we are told it's missing two buffers? Seems to feature a chipped roof as well?

I managed to resist the temptation of putting in a bid for that as I've already got too many half finished conversions!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2