RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

10 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If it was an A4, it could be considered quite an accurate model...

wedgwood.jpg.9071d0b98f3270413f8839aaa3136fe4.jpg

York History 

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

39 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

'One careful owner - not'! It is also claimed that this is a 'Southern Coach', and it's 'Silver'??

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

*might* be worth it for the Romford wheels but that's about it. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been on the hunt for a cheap Hornby coach chassis for preferance one with Gresley boiges for a 7/8ths coach build ... everytime one comes up I've been piped to the post in the last 30 seconds...

Any ideas where I can pick one or two  up, not bothered with the body,  all I want is the frames and boiges

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Apart from the fact it has aftermarket (and hangin'off) wheels there's no sign of the third rail centre pickup so far from complete 😉

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, John Besley said:

I've been on the hunt for a cheap Hornby coach chassis for preferance one with Gresley boiges for a 7/8ths coach build ... everytime one comes up I've been piped to the post in the last 30 seconds...

Any ideas where I can pick one or two  up, not bothered with the body,  all I want is the frames and boiges

Hi John

In the hopes that I am not “teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs”, I have two distinct strategies for bidding for things on eBay…

1) I see something that I like then I put a maximum bid on it that I am prepared to pay, and then ignore it. If I win, I win, happy days; if I get outbid, that’s life!

2) I see something that I want then I watch it, and put an alarm on my phone for a few minutes before the auction finishes. I’ll keep a regular check on bids - if it goes above what I am prepared to pay, then I stop watching it and start again. If not, I work out my maximum bid, submit my bid and then wait at the CONFIRM page until the final few seconds of the auction before confirming (and submitting) the bid. Usually I bid around the 6 second mark to allow it to register before the auction ends. That’s a late enough bid to not allow anyone else to outbid me, or if unsuccessful I don’t have time to be caught up in “auction fever” and put another bid in!!

Most recently I stumbled across two Triang “Swedish” four wheel coaches, which I have been wanting for several years after seeing Kevin Wyberd’s upgrading of his own on his “Little Narrow”. I’ve been outbid again and again in the past - they’ve sold for up to £35 (!) and Gosturd has a set of four available for £99.99 (!); I understand that they are relatively rare, but I wasn’t going to pay silly money for a “starter set” coach.

The bid was at £1.99 … at 6 seconds before the end of the auction, I submitted a bid of £32.30 for the pair (or £16.15 each) which I was prepared to go up to. I won - for £3.20 (a tenth of my max bid)

Patience pays off. Some canny bidding also.

Good luck getting your coach chassis!

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Dunno about purple, but I once bought an Airfix Prairie specifically to cover in green flock, so it'd look like those cars that get covered in artificial grass....

Another use for static grass kit!? Forget hairy sheep. The new 'must have' - hairy locos!

I now have a mental picture of a Gresley A4 with a mohican!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 8

9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I now have a mental picture of a Gresley A4 with a mohican!

So… The average 9 year old Thomas the train fan’s “original” character?

No, seriously, I’ve seen plenty of “original characters” made for that series, some are honestly pretty good, and then there’s just… Those ones…

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Funny 2

Searching eBay for “Rivarossi 0-4-0”, I came across one in semi-dismantled state and, in usual nosy fashion, I took a look at the seller’s other items to see what else he might have (it’s how I found my Triang Swedish coaches!)

Now, I understand that Bachmann On30 Shay locomotives are desirable pieces of kit, but my first thought on seeing this item was “that valve gear looks way too low” … 

The description says it is in great condition but won’t run and includes the line “the motor smoked”! So, basically b*ggered although the seller states “Just needs a new motor, or clean?”

In which case, why not do just that and figure in the extra cost into your selling price?! Or is it that the necessary new motor is not readily available?

Whatever the case, does £150 for a dead loco mean this seller wins the Mendacious Chiseller Award of the Day?

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Further exploration of his other items reveals this

In his description he reveals that “The loco's one connecting rod piece is broken, it is an easy repair however as-is the loco will not run.” [sic]

If it is an easy repair, why not do it?

However, the statement that further justifies awarding him the accolade of MC of the Day is …

“It has been priced accordingly for the faults.”

He wants £260 for it … wonder how much he would have wanted if it had been complete and working?!

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Searching eBay for “Rivarossi 0-4-0”, I came across one in semi-dismantled state and, in usual nosy fashion, I took a look at the seller’s other items to see what else he might have (it’s how I found my Triang Swedish coaches!)

Now, I understand that Bachmann On30 Shay locomotives are desirable pieces of kit, but my first thought on seeing this item was “that valve gear looks way too low” … 

The description says it is in great condition but won’t run and includes the line “the motor smoked”! So, basically b*ggered although the seller states “Just needs a new motor, or clean?”

In which case, why not do just that and figure in the extra cost into your selling price?! Or is it that the necessary new motor is not readily available?

Whatever the case, does £150 for a dead loco mean this seller wins the Mendacious Chiseller Award of the Day?

Steve S

I just Googled 'Swedish coaches' - Oh, I say!

• Funny 5